• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Missouri at gun shows

gisvc

Does anyone have any opinions or comments about open carry under the new law in missouri applying to gun shows and local businesses.. 656 just outlines that no governmental entity has legal banning on open carry/ with valid ccw.. does this still reflect on the rights of businesses to post signs. I may be reading into it. but just curious. I have read the bill 656 over and over and see nothing about it.. outlining specifics. although i know other rights, such as refusal to serve etc come into mind..

Last edited:

kcgunfan

If you are asked to leave, do it. If there is a sign, it has no force of law. The prohibited places are still prohibited. Make sure you know them. And carry on!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Renegadez

If an establishment has a NO Firearms sign posted ie restaurant chain store Walmart Kmart Walgreen whatever I do not open carry my firearm in to that business in fact quite the opposite I just leave and find somewhere else to spend my money as for the legality I thought if posted on a sign according to the law 9 the sign and verbiage are all the correct size and visible) it was illegal to carry in that place regardless of the type of carry?

kcgunfan

There is nothing about signage for non-concealed carry, Signage is mentioned in RsMO 571.107.1.(15). And it only mentions "no concealed carry" signage, not "no carry" signage. And it explicitly says it's not a criminal penalty. There is nothing in RsMO 571.030 about signage.

gisvc

no conceal carry signs... query

I then understand, that the signs bearing no conceal carry is not valid when open carrying. also under new law since it is defined as no laws or ordinances can be written or effective to the contrary, of the new law and its revision by any govermental municipalities etc etc, there then can be no signs posted to open carry being prohibited.. ie; since sb 656 clearly states no ordinance or laws can enforce any such posting... would this be correct? how about made up signs just saying no weapons allowed... I have seen many such homemade signs in shop windows... do they have any clout?

kcgunfan

Not as far as I can tell, but I don't go places where I'm not welcome unless I have no choice. I suspect some police may think otherwise. So, it all comes down to how much free time you have.

Renegadez

I am no lawyer but if it is a business it would seem if they have a NO Firearms sign it would mean NO Firearms since the business is privately owned as in your on private the owner has the right to say what goes?

kcgunfan

I'm not saying go to those businesses, I'm saying the sign has no force of law. I'm all for obeying property rights. Besides, I don't give businesses that don't want me my hard earned money.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I don't think SB 656 changes anything regarding signage as a practical matter. If someone asks you to leave, you leave. You don't, you may have a problem depending on who is asking. You do, no harm no foul.

As to gun shows, I don't think SB 656 has diddly squat effect. Their insurance is going to most likely mean that any carry is going to be unloaded, verified unloaded and probably zip tied. I had a buddy who liked to carry into gun shows. Every time, every where, they made him unload, kept his ammo, gave him a claim ticket for it to get it when he left and zip tied his action so he walked around with a poorly holstered (due to zip tie) gun. It got embarrassing and I quit going with him.

Oramac

As to gun shows, I don't think SB 656 has diddly squat effect. Their insurance is going to most likely mean that any carry is going to be unloaded, verified unloaded and probably zip tied. I had a buddy who liked to carry into gun shows. Every time, every where, they made him unload, kept his ammo, gave him a claim ticket for it to get it when he left and zip tied his action so he walked around with a poorly holstered (due to zip tie) gun. It got embarrassing and I quit going with him.

This is the most likely scenario. I've yet to go to a gun show that allowed OC. That being said, in the monumentally unlikely event of something bad happening, it would be very simple and relatively fast to remove the zip tie and throw a mag in.

Besides, when was the last time you heard of a gun show being held up? I doubt even the World's Dumbest Criminals would be THAT stupid.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
This is the most likely scenario. I've yet to go to a gun show that allowed OC. That being said, in the monumentally unlikely event of something bad happening, it would be very simple and relatively fast to remove the zip tie and throw a mag in.

Besides, when was the last time you heard of a gun show being held up? I doubt even the World's Dumbest Criminals would be THAT stupid.

Laff, yeah, I told that buddy of mine that if he were really worried about it to just carry a pocket knife and a loaded 17 rd 9mm Glock mag or 8 rd .45 acp 1911 mag on him because where ever he is in the gun show there is going to be something zip tied on a nearby table that will take one of those mags. :p

xdmcompact

I have open carried into the gun show at the Convention center in St. Charles, not one word was said, they put the evil zip tie on it and in we went.

xdmcompact

So they made you unload if they zip tied?

Yes any gun show I have been to, requires that you leave your loaded magazine in your vehicle. No loaded magazines are allowed into the gun show, and all firearms are required to be zip tied. Funny though that I can buy magazines and ammo in the gun show, but they believe that zip tie keeps everyone safe.

Richieg150

Yes any gun show I have been to, requires that you leave your loaded magazine in your vehicle. No loaded magazines are allowed into the gun show, and all firearms are required to be zip tied.

That statement is inaccurate.... At the RK gun shows by KCI airport, I have noticed some vendors that have their side arms on, magazines loaded. I know a guy who had a table at a few of those RK gun shows, he open carried his firearm, with fully loaded magazine while selling his stuff. They do put a couple signs on the doors saying no loaded magazines, ect... So knowing that,
if you decide you don't want to leave your firearm locked up unattended in your car, just cover it up, go in, and go about your business. They still have the right to refuse service to anyone they want, if they choose to go that route.

We have the right to either do business with them... or not.

Redbaron007

I don't think SB 656 changes anything regarding signage as a practical matter. If someone asks you to leave, you leave. You don't, you may have a problem depending on who is asking. You do, no harm no foul.

I've read a lot of commercial policies, so far, none speak to firearms being loaded/unloaded. The presenter of the show generally makes that call to reduce any negligence, but not because of the insurance policy, but because they don't want any liability issues. They like to blame the insurance company, it's easier to say the insurance requires it, than argue with someone over why the presenter prevents it.