• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops, wrong house, shoot dog, cops not being nice story

wrightme

Should I pm you for the title to all my threads?

Why you up in arms about this .. are gay rights your thing or are you anti-gay?

Just wondering why 2 words that described the victims makes you concerned ....

I have my trigger words, so I can understand.

Never put "apple sauce" into a tread title...just fair warning.

The question is this. Why did YOU put it in the thread title? I am not 'up in arms' about it, I am curious why YOU chose to add it there.

OC for ME

Wrong house...who wudda thunk it. Fire them all for being illiterate nitwits. I thought ya had to know how to read to be a cop...I guess not. This lack of reading comprehension thing, by cops, appears to be a nation wide problem.

Preyn2

I'm a Firefighter.

I routinely force entry (translation: professionally break in with really cool tools) into houses based on the report that a life-threatening emergency exists within the house. And we ALWAYS check the address a bunch of times, specifically to avoid (1) delaying help to the people who need it, and (2) awkward letters that start "Dear Chief; As a high school graduate, not to mention having 30 years experience in emergency services, I realize I should be capable of determining a street address. However...."

I realize we're all human, and we all make mistakes. But it amazes me that we continue to see stories like this.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Hughes allegedly fired a second shot, which missed Clohe, prompting Putnam to place herself in harm's way -- between the officer and her now injured pet.

"I was yelling at him," said Putnam. "I said, 'Why are you shooting my dog? What are you doing? You're at the wrong house.'"

I would have gone to jail because I wouldn't have just gotten between them, I would have attacked that SOB Hughes and beat him nearly to death with his own gun. I hope the court punishes the department as a whole, and also everyone in command individually. Hughes should be fired and lose his LEO credentials.

And yes, I do think that my dogs' lives are more important and more valuable than the lives of many humans including Hughes who was a trespassing aggressor against a non-threat. I have absolutely no moral or ethical qualms about killing a man hurting my dogs (although legally I couldn't in my state). I mention that to save time for anyone who objects to my thinking that Hughes deserved a severe beating or, in an ideal world, return fire.

sudden valley gunner

I'm a Firefighter.

I routinely force entry (translation: professionally break in with really cool tools) into houses based on the report that a life-threatening emergency exists within the house. And we ALWAYS check the address a bunch of times, specifically to avoid (1) delaying help to the people who need it, and (2) awkward letters that start "Dear Chief; As a high school graduate, not to mention having 30 years experience in emergency services, I realize I should be capable of determining a street address. However...."

I realize we're all human, and we all make mistakes. But it amazes me that we continue to see stories like this.

The difference isn't you are breaking in armed to the teeth ready to kill anything that moves. Also more than likely you were invited in by 911 call of some sort.

Cops are using these tactics because its "better than sex", when they have a hammer everything is a nail, its utterly ridiculous the reasons they keep doing this when there are a thousand more practical and safer ways of accomplishing the same goal.

stealthyeliminator

"Clohe's not been the same since," Putnam told HuffPost. "It really angers me and makes me concerned for the system and how things work."

.............. It's unfortunate that it took this incident before they became concerned.

For me, I'd be more than "concerned" following an incident like this. They killed, or in this case attempted to kill, a living, breathing thing, indiscriminately, that posed no threat to them. It's an unusual cruelty to do something like that, a sign of a moral void, no?

WalkingWolf

I would have gone to jail because I wouldn't have just gotten between them, I would have attacked that SOB Hughes and beat him nearly to death with his own gun. I hope the court punishes the department as a whole, and also everyone in command individually. Hughes should be fired and lose his LEO credentials.

And yes, I do think that my dogs' lives are more important and more valuable than the lives of many humans including Hughes who was a trespassing aggressor against a non-threat. I have absolutely no moral or ethical qualms about killing a man hurting my dogs (although legally I couldn't in my state). I mention that to save time for anyone who objects to my thinking that Hughes deserved a severe beating or, in an ideal world, return fire.

IMO someone shooting your dogs when you have committed no crime would be an indication you may fall victim to a violent crime. AFAIK self defense is legal in every state.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
.............. It's unfortunate that it took this incident before they became concerned.

For me, I'd be more than "concerned" following an incident like this. They killed, or in this case attempted to kill, a living, breathing thing, indiscriminately, that posed no threat to them. It's an unusual cruelty to do something like that, a sign of a moral void, no?

+1