• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Wisconsin soon, likely Kenosha County - Dog park rules!

MikeLovell

I was looking up rules for the dog parks in the local area, and I see this:

http://wi-kenoshacounty.civicplus.com/index.aspx?NID=621

The off-leash dog park is for dogs and their handlers. No other type of animal (i.e. hunting or other use) is allowed. No firearms, starting pistols are permitted. See Bong State Park for a hunting dog training area.

Doesn't state preemption prevent this from being legal?

I know in Illinois (where I am at the moment) I can carry (albeit concealed) in Forest preserves like dog parks, and some have not updating their websites and signs. But I just ignore.

rightwinglibertarian

I know in Illinois (where I am at the moment) I can carry (albeit concealed) in Forest preserves like dog parks, and some have not updating their websites and signs. But I just ignore.

As far as I am aware, yes. The only things which are not covered are public buildings which so far are still outside the bounds of the Constitution still. We can only hope someone challenges this legislation but in your case I believe you are just fine. Perhaps an email to the people in charge warning them of the illegal signage would be helpful.

66.0409 Local Regulation of Firearms
(2) Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a
resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession,
bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm,
including ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar
to, and no more stringent than, a state statute

have a look at handgunlaw which gives you all the information you need

MikeLovell

Thanks everyone. I think that's a little clearer.

Is there a way to find out for sure (without being arrested!) :) Has anyone open carried in dog parks before?

rightwinglibertarian

What one might be arrested for has little to do with the possible charges. On a bad day the cop CAN arrest you for mopery with intent to gawp. The prosecuting attorney has to find a charge for which he can take the political heat. He's not likely going to charge for armed in the park. They took disorderly conduct away, so it might be some resisting/obstructing/failure to obey.

Whether one has carried successfully in a dog park is only whether the observing cop, if there is one, wanted to bother with the issue.

even if you're failing to obey something you don't have to in the first place <snark>

MKEgal

Combining preemption (66.0409) http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/document/statutes/66.0409

with the law about state parks / fish hatcheries (29.089) http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/29/II/089

no, they're not allowed to prohibit people from being in the park while armed.

See 29.089(2). It used to say "state parks & fish hatcheries".
It was changed by 2011 act 168 http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/168
which took effect (for 29.089) on 01JAN13.

Probably the county needs a letter to nudge them into updating their ordinances.
If you do get hassled by anyone official-like for carrying while exercising your dog, let us know.

Also, get on the Wisconsin Carry facebook page. (And join the org if you can spare $10 / year.) If anything happens to you, WI Carry members will back you up, and often our emails & phone calls are all it takes to remind gov't that they work for us & have to follow the law.

Oconomowoc (a bit west of Milwaukee) had a kerfluffle this past spring when a guy OC'd in a park. The news made a big thing about it, then backed off when the city council & counsel realized their ordinance wasn't legal. The chief was big enough to admit that he'd been wrong, and was instructing his officers not to bother anyone simply for being armed in a park. I think Nik (WI Carry president) made him & the city understand the expensive problem they could create for themselves.

Last edited:

Franky

Let the buyer beware. Nobody except N Clark knows how many active dues paying members there are in the WCI and he has never released that info. Might be 2 or 20. I would want to know before putting 10 bucks in his club.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Isn't it against the law for a Bears fan to become a Packer fan?

Since you're making the move nearer to the great white north.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Let the buyer beware. Nobody except N Clark knows how many active dues paying members there are in the WCI and he has never released that info. Might be 2 or 20. I would want to know before putting 10 bucks in his club.

That's an interesting viewpoint. There are over 200 people listed as "Founder's" alone. I'm 100% certain quite a few people have joined since 2009.

http://wisconsincarry.org/founders

Have Gun - Will Carry

That's an interesting viewpoint. There are over 200 people listed as "Founder's" alone. I'm 100% certain quite a few people have joined since 2009.

Ah, maybe you've missed the bigger picture (or maybe not) - poor ol' Doug Huffman (BANNED from this site - now reincarnated as sockpuppets Nightmare & Franky) was spurned by Wisconsin Carry, so he bashes the organization every chance he gets. Usually by making totally unfounded accusations or slinging "low-membership" innuendo such as this, in a pathetic attempt to sway people's opinion against WCI.

Personally, I think he was butthurt years ago by something Nik Clark said or did, so Dougie tries to take out his frustrations against the entire organization. In fact, other than anti-gunners, he's about the only one I've ever heard who bashes WCI, so that should tell you the proper amount of credence one should lend to his rants.

OK Dougie, follow your usual pattern and flame away! It won't bother me in the least, because no one listens to you except... you. :lol:

Franky

Interesting in part by your flawed logic concerning the founders list. My name still appears on said list and I kicked the WCI club to the curb after the March 2010 Thunder Bay Grill event I attended. The list you mention is way, way out of date if one thinks everyone on the founders list is a current dues paying member.

I scanned the founders club list and personally know more than a few who no longer belong to the WCI club.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Ah, maybe you've missed the bigger picture (or maybe not) - poor ol' Doug Huffman (BANNED from this site - now reincarnated as sockpuppets Nightmare & Franky) was spurned by Wisconsin Carry, so he bashes the organization every chance he gets. Usually by making totally unfounded accusations or slinging "low-membership" innuendo such as this, in a pathetic attempt to sway people's opinion against WCI.

Personally, I think he was butthurt years ago by something Nik Clark said or did, so Dougie tries to take out his frustrations against the entire organization. In fact, other than anti-gunners, he's about the only one I've ever heard who bashes WCI, so that should tell you the proper amount of credence one should lend to his rants.

OK Dougie, follow your usual pattern and flame away! It won't bother me in the least, because no one listens to you except... you. :lol:

I realize this. I don't usually engage with it/them. Sometimes I just can't help myself. But then I usually lose interest quickly. It's a pointless exercise. The definition of delusion is "a fixed false belief." In other words, it's unlikely any of their beliefs will change . . .

Franky

I have no relationship with a Dougie or Nightmare but since you have insulted me with your sockpuppet comment I will respond. I know you from the now defunct Lizzys Green cafe and the hardly-ableson crisis in Delavan. From your post above I see you are still as distasteful as was the case when I met you in person.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
One of my favorite quotes from the FX tv series Justified:

“You run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. You run into a**holes all day, you’re the a**hole.” – Raylan Givens

Have Gun - Will Carry

I realize this. I don't usually engage with it/them. Sometimes I just can't help myself. But then I usually lose interest quickly. It's a pointless exercise. The definition of delusion is "a fixed false belief." In other words, it's unlikely any of their beliefs will change . . .

I figured as much. And I know exactly what you mean... I feel the same way as you - sometimes I just can't help myself, but it usually gets old fast!

Have Gun - Will Carry

I have no relationship with a Dougie or Nightmare but since you have insulted me with your sockpuppet comment I will respond. I know you from the now defunct Lizzys Green cafe and the hardly-ableson crisis in Delavan.

Oh, really? Don't you mean you read about those experiences in this forum? Because if you were actually present, I would know who you are - I know the name of every person I interacted with at Lizzy's and in Delavan. So why don't you post your name here, so I can call you a liar outright?

Oh, that's right - you won't ever do that, because then someone (police, maybe?) might be able to track you down for stalking... In that case, fine - if posting your name here is too public, go ahead and PM it to me! :lol: (I won't hold my breath watching my inbox...)

From your post above I see you are still as distasteful as was the case when I met you in person.

Now I know you're full of it. No one who ate dinner with me at Lizzy's or socialized with me at Starbucks found me distasteful. I'm a frickin' social butterfly, liked by all and despised by none! :banana:

Franky

Oh, really? Don't you mean you read about those experiences in this forum? Because if you were actually present, I would know who you are - I know the name of every person I interacted with at Lizzy's and in Delavan. So why don't you post your name here, so I can call you a liar outright?

Oh, that's right - you won't ever do that, because then someone (police, maybe?) might be able to track you down for stalking... In that case, fine - if posting your name here is too public, go ahead and PM it to me! :lol: (I won't hold my breath watching my inbox...)

Now I know you're full of it. No one who ate dinner with me at Lizzy's or socialized with me at Starbucks found me distasteful. I'm a frickin' social butterfly, liked by all and despised by none! :banana:

Another insult calling me a liar so I will respond. I never used my given name when interacting with the Kansasville group and I never insinuated I dined with you or your group. I hung in the twilight zone and socialized with many includiing you once which was more than enough. Never at SBs.

""""""" Lake is kind of a nice little town. Perhaps the OPie possibly will be your neighbor. A motorcycle refresher course might possibly be beneficial as we sometimes get lax.:cool:

Last edited:

MikeLovell

Combining preemption (66.0409) http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/document/statutes/66.0409

with the law about state parks / fish hatcheries (29.089) http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/29/II/089

It was changed by 2011 act 168 http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/168

Probably the county needs a letter to nudge them into updating their ordinances.
If you do get hassled by anyone official-like for carrying while exercising your dog, let us know.

Also, get on the Wisconsin Carry facebook page. (And join the org if you can spare $10 / year.) If anything happens to you, WI Carry members will back you up, and often our emails & phone calls are all it takes to remind gov't that they work for us & have to follow the law.

Oconomowoc (a bit west of Milwaukee) had a kerfluffle this past spring when a guy OC'd in a park. The news made a big thing about it, then backed off when the city council & counsel realized their ordinance wasn't legal. The chief was big enough to admit that he'd been wrong, and was instructing his officers not to bother anyone simply for being armed in a park. I think Nik (WI Carry president) made him & the city understand the expensive problem they could create for themselves.

Sorry, got sidetracked, back again!

Any advice on format. Has anybody challenged local ordinance before?

MikeLovell

29.089  Hunting, fishing, and trapping on land in state parks and state fish hatcheries.
[ ...]
(2) No person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. This subsection does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who is employed in this state by a public agency as a law enforcement officer and to whom s. 941.23 (1) (g) 2. to 5. and (2) (b) 1. to 3. applies.
(b) A qualified out-of-state law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 941.23 (1) (g), to whom s. 941.23 (2) (b) 1. to 3. applies.
(c) A former officer, as defined in s. 941.23 (1) (c), to whom s. 941.23 (2) (c) 1. to 7. applies.
(d) A licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out-of-state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g), if the firearm is a handgun, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (bm).
History: 1989 a. 214; 1997 a. 237; 1997 a. 248 s. 599; Stats. 1997 s. 29.089; 2001 a. 109; 2005 a. 286; 2011 a. 35, 168.
Cross-reference: See also ss. NR 10.001 and 10.28, Wis. adm. code.

So open and concealed carry of handguns is permitted. Am I reading this right?

Franky

A just ignore philosophy could possibly be quite spendy here in Wisco. I do not believe the people here giving you the yay or nay advice will offer to pay your attorney fees.

paul@paul-fisher.com

29.089  Hunting, fishing, and trapping on land in state parks and state fish hatcheries.
[ ...]
(2) No person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. This subsection does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who is employed in this state by a public agency as a law enforcement officer and to whom s. 941.23 (1) (g) 2. to 5. and (2) (b) 1. to 3. applies.
(b) A qualified out-of-state law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 941.23 (1) (g), to whom s. 941.23 (2) (b) 1. to 3. applies.
(c) A former officer, as defined in s. 941.23 (1) (c), to whom s. 941.23 (2) (c) 1. to 7. applies.
(d) A licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out-of-state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g), if the firearm is a handgun, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (bm).
History: 1989 a. 214; 1997 a. 237; 1997 a. 248 s. 599; Stats. 1997 s. 29.089; 2001 a. 109; 2005 a. 286; 2011 a. 35, 168.
Cross-reference: See also ss. NR 10.001 and 10.28, Wis. adm. code.

So open and concealed carry of handguns is permitted. Am I reading this right?

With a CCL at a fish hatchery. State park is no longer covered, as has been mentioned.