View Poll Results: Which of these sayings are good for signs?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open Carry Isn't Scary

    12 57.14%
  • Support the 2nd Amendment

    6 28.57%
  • Support Constitutional Carry

    12 57.14%
  • Repeal Texas' Unconstitutional Handgun Restrictions

    4 19.05%
  • Bearing Isn't Brandishing

    6 28.57%
  • They Can't Legislate Your Rights Away

    2 9.52%
  • Even Sticks And Stones May Break Your Bones But Freedom Never Hurt You

    1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Signs promoting Open Carry - which is best?

  1. #1
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318

    Signs promoting Open Carry - which is best?

    Which of these are the best sayings for signs for supporting open carry? Feel free to share more
    Advocate freedom please

  2. #2
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    I don't know why I put this in the social lounge. Grapeshot, please move to whichever forum is more appropriate. Please don't move to Texas subforum though, you can easily replace "Texas" with any state that lacks constitutional carry.
    Advocate freedom please

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,620
    Moved it, voted, and the made thread title more on target.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Thanks. I need to pick 4-5 phrases to make some signs. Hopefully I can get some good feedback and suggestions.
    Advocate freedom please

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Open Carry Isn't Scary - it shouldn't be, but to some it is. that makes this less than optimal

    Support the 2nd Amendment - nice, bland, not controversial. heck, even anti-gunners support it

    Support Constitutional Carry - will anybody not a member of the choir know what this means?

    Repeal Texas' Unconstitutional Handgun Restrictions - prove they are unconstitutional, as opposed to being something you don't like

    Bearing Isn't Brandishing - again, lots of folks not in the choir may not understand this

    They Can't Legislate Your Rights Away - but you just said (no Texas OC) that they have already done that. make up your mind

    Even Sticks And Stones May Break Your Bones But Freedom Never Hurt You - cute. meaningless. how does it relate to bearing arms either OC or CC?

    I apologize if I'm coming across as a Debby Downer, but propaganda (not PR) has some very basic "rules". Winning hearts and minds is not done by trying to logically change peoples' minds, but by appealing to their base emotions. That's why "It's for the children!" works.

    Not that these are the most elegant, but as examples I offer

    Open Carry - it does not sneak up on you

    Waiting for the cops to arrive - the most horrifying 7 minutes you will ever spend

    Harsh words do not stop someone trying to kill your daughter at 2 AM

    A gun - when you absolutely positively have to defend your life right now

    Visualize your slogan on a bumper sticker passing you in the next lane over - too many words means letters are too small means it can't/won't be read. The days of posters slapped up on walls seems to be over, but make a good .jpeg or the like and attach it everywhere you have a cyber contact.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    I guess I should have clarified, signs to be carried on open carry walks. So the context is a group openly carrying firearms, flags and signs along the side of a roadway.
    Advocate freedom please

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    I guess I should have clarified, signs to be carried on open carry walks. So the context is a group openly carrying firearms, flags and signs along the side of a roadway.
    You still want "bumper sticker" wording: clear meaning, short, and catchy phrasing.

    Have you considered carrying a trash bag and picking up litter as you go along? Several OC litter collections have made the press with positive impact. In some places you can even get the local/state highway folks to give you trash bags, safety vests, and gloves. A possible sign at the back end, before motorists get up to the main body: X City/County Open Carry - Making Roads Cleaner and Safer. (Let them take that "safer" any way they want to.)

    If your local noise ordinances will not get anybody in trouble, try "Honk if you <heart> personal safety". Another possibility includes "Crime Free Zone - Guess Why". If there will be kids along you can use "It's for the Children - Keeping Them Safe From Crime".

    Just hit me - "Open Carry - I've Got Nothing to Hide".

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  8. #8
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Yeah I agree, shorter, catchy messages are better.. Bigger letters and easier to read driving by.

    Re: trash pickup, several OCT chapters incl. mine have participated in adopt a highway. They actually put up a perm. sign at each end of the adopted section with your org name on it. I really hate litter so for me it's kind of a double win.
    Advocate freedom please

  9. #9
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    SUPPORT CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY is my choice. I think those are terms that should become mainstream, so the only way to do that is to flaunt the phrasing for those who do not know what it means to start talking about it. Awareness comes first usually, then education based on curiosity or just for the sake of education.

    Maybe have a couple signs concisely defining CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY or something if that's what you're worried about.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  10. #10
    Regular Member mdak06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Manchester, New Hampshire
    Posts
    61
    I agree with skidmark's concerns re: your proposed suggestions. I'm not even really a fan of the 2nd amendment one, since some interpret it (wrongly) as "only armed while in a militia and/or the National Guard" ... so unfortunately that isn't as clear as I'd want either.

    I'll offer up these for your consideration ... while they aren't all necessarily OC specific, hopefully they'll be useful:

    "police have no duty to protect my children, but I do"

    "waiting for police will not stop a rape, but my gun will" (only women should hold this sign)

    "open carry = criminal deterrence"

    "gun laws don't stop criminals"

    "empower women to protect themselves"

    "thugs prefer gun-free zones"

    Hope some of these help.

  11. #11
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    The problem with "support the second amendment" is so many people have no idea what the second amendment is. They think it is permit schemes.

    My Choice "Constitutional carry is the second amendment"
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-12-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  12. #12
    Regular Member mdak06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Manchester, New Hampshire
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The problem with "support the second amendment" is so many people have no idea what the second amendment is. They think it is permit schemes.

    My Choice "Constitutional carry is the second amendment"
    Very true.

    "Not be infringed" does not mean "criminalized unless you get a government permission slip."

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    3 spam posts in a row reported

    stay safe.



    --Mod note, they be gone now.--
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-17-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: House cleaning
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  14. #14
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The problem with "support the second amendment" is so many people have no idea what the second amendment is. They think it is permit schemes.

    My Choice "Constitutional carry is the second amendment"
    I really like that one. I may have to buy another poster board just for that.
    Advocate freedom please

  15. #15
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Not specific to thread but:

    Too Many Subjects, Not enough CITIZENS!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  16. #16
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    For ladies to carry:

    I Open Carry because I can't fight off young thugs anymore (should be carried by "Granny Rambo" ladies)
    My Open Carry tells criminals I am NOT an easy target.
    My Open Carry is much louder than a rape whistle.
    When I tell my kids I'll protect them, I mean it. (this one should be accompanied by a picture or a highly visible OCed pistol; definitely bound to get some attention)

    Not as catchy signs for ladies to carry:
    My gun IS my rape whistle, because I shouldn't have to blow anything for a rapist. (saw it on a meme; blonde lady with a 1911)
    I'd much rather blow AWAY a rapist. (graphic, I know, but drives the point home)
    I'd rather my kids see me Open Carry than have to see me in a chalk outline.

    Broader use:
    Criminals don't want to see me armed either. (meme)
    I Open Carry to scare away criminals. (might get the CC-only bunch riled up though).
    Open Carry IS the Second Amendment.
    Open Carry is the beautiful face of the Second Amendment (this one is a sig line of a member here; I cannot remember their name at the moment)
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 10-20-2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Formatting
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  17. #17
    Regular Member kinggabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Duncan, Ok
    Posts
    84
    How about ....

    Open Carry it is George Washington approved.
    Open carry because criminals hate it.
    Open carry because every second matters.
    Open carry because my friend needs air and sunshine too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •