• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what they should have done - ebola bigmouth on plane

davidmcbeth

Banned
"Ladies and gentlemen, please stay in your seats as we have an ebola infected person on board. I'll increase the power of the fans in your cabin to make you more comfortable while you wait for the gov't response team to arrive which should be in about an hour, give or take 5 hours. And increase the volume of the piped in music to mask the coughing sounds. Thank you for flying Ebola Airlines. Its more than just a company name." Pilot

And people actually stayed in the cabin ... no one pulled the emergency chute...and no one tore off the responders protective tyvek headgear from the responders either. Baa baa baa.

Everyone knew what was going on.

So either a) everyone knew it was BS or b) everyone does not mind dying or c) they were total sheep awaiting a slaughter

I would have been off that plane pronto !

davidmcbeth

Banned
Cabin air is not recirculated, it is one time used from engine bypass air (precisely to minimize contamination) through the cabin outflow valve for pressure control. Same as why a bullet hole in the skin is a non-issue. The outflow valve orifice is about a square foot area.

So you would be fine sitting in front of the coughing ebola guy?

wrightme

should have put the guy in the lavatory, moved all people onto the tarmac ... instead of leaving people in the enclosed cabin where the guy could have coughed up on everyone....

see, the gov't cares, just not a lot ....

https://gma.yahoo.com/looks-ebola-scare-plane-004600681--abc-news-topstories.html

You do understand that what happened, was happening in the Dominican Republic, right?

An Ebola scare on a US Airways flight leaving Philadelphia prompted officials to meet the plane when it arrived in the Dominican Republic after a passenger reportedly said he had Ebola.

OC for ME

The citizen should sue all those who subjected him to unwarranted treatment while on the US flagged carrier. File criminal charges against anyone who assaulted him, or falsely imprisoned him. Kidnapping is not out of the question either.

wrightme

The citizen should sue all those who subjected him to unwarranted treatment while on the US flagged carrier. File criminal charges against anyone who assaulted him, or falsely imprisoned him. Kidnapping is not out of the question either.

He got onto the aircraft willingly.

It did not happen here, who is he going to sue?

wrightme

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/09/travel/dominican-ebola-plane-scare/index.html

The airline is responsible for he being subjected to DR officials.

How so?

And, from your link:
CNN has not been able to confirm the comment the man allegedly made, but according to local media reports in the Dominican Republic citing the airport's director of operations, it was:
"I have Ebola. You're all screwed."
I do not believe he has much of a case, if that it accurate.

Last edited:

OC for ME

The crew called the dude in to the DR officials.
An airline spokesperson told ABC News the report they have is that another passenger heard the comment and alerted a flight attendant. The FA then alerted the captain. The comment was made while the flight was on approach to its final destination.
It was not a lucky guess by the DR officials, to be waiting for that a/c, suited up.

wrightme

The crew called the dude in to the DR officials.It was not a lucky guess by the DR officials, to be waiting for that a/c, suited up.

Huh? What would you have them do instead?

Was the passenger not responsible for making the statement he allegedly made?

Last edited:

OC for ME

Huh? What would you have them do instead?

Was the passenger not responsible for making the statement he allegedly made?
Irresponsible comments are now to be grounds to subject a citizen (DR is off the hook, the airline is not) to such treatment. We are not talking a bomb or some such other thing here.

According to the CDC, ebola cannot be transmitted simply by being in the same space with a ebola victim. Direct contact with bodily fluids is the only transmission mechanism, it is claimed. If this is true, the airline had no grounds to do anything other than be peeved at the nitwittery displayed by the passenger. The airline could have revoked the nitwits return travel, if it were a US Airways flight.

A airline, in my view, may deal with a passenger as they see fit, they are a private business. When they subject a citizen to state sanctions (the DR in the case) without just (lawful) cause, then they must be held to account. We are at the point now that a sniffle and runny nose can/will have your liberty seriously compromised by the state.

wrightme

Irresponsible comments are now to be grounds to subject a citizen (DR is off the hook, the airline is not) to such treatment. We are not talking a bomb or some such other thing here.

According to the CDC, ebola cannot be transmitted simply by being in the same space with a ebola victim. Direct contact with bodily fluids is the only transmission mechanism, it is claimed. If this is true, the airline had no grounds to do anything other than be peeved at the nitwittery displayed by the passenger. The airline could have revoked the nitwits return travel, if it were a US Airways flight.

A airline, in my view, may deal with a passenger as they see fit, they are a private business. When they subject a citizen to state sanctions (the DR in the case) without just (lawful) cause, then they must be held to account. We are at the point now that a sniffle and runny nose can/will have your liberty seriously compromised by the state.

The runny nose, combined with his comment, is as wrong as falsely claiming there was a bomb on board. Had he been telling the truth, that basically condemns 50-70% of the passengers to death.

As it is, many are calling for a ban on air travel from the outbreak countries, whether potential passengers were ever near anyone with Ebola or not.

OC for ME

The runny nose, combined with his comment, is as wrong as falsely claiming there was a bomb on board. Had he been telling the truth, that basically condemns 50-70% of the passengers to death. ...
Given the facts as to how ebola is transmitted, how many of the other passengers were placed in isolation? If zero is the answer, then the nitwit got screwed over by the airline. If the answer is zero, and you are OK with the treatment he gets from the DR, then the issue is not ebola and how it is transmitted.

wrightme

Given the facts as to how ebola is transmitted, how many of the other passengers were placed in isolation? If zero is the answer, then the nitwit got screwed over by the airline. If the answer is zero, and you are OK with the treatment he gets from the DR, then the issue is not ebola and how it is transmitted.
Well, no. He got screwed over by his idiot mouth.

Had the airline done nothing at all, they would be viewed the same as many are viewing our administration for not halting air travel from affected countries altogether. His comment placed the airline in a 'no win situation,' where failure to do anything would earn them the moniker 'Ebola-Air.'

OC for ME

Well, no. He got screwed over by his idiot mouth.

Had the airline done nothing at all, they would be viewed the same as many are viewing our administration for not halting air travel from affected countries altogether. His comment placed the airline in a 'no win situation,' where failure to do anything would earn them the moniker 'Ebola-Air.'
Unfounded irrational fear...OK.

since9

Campaign Veteran
And people actually stayed in the cabin ... no one pulled the emergency chute...and no one tore off the responders protective tyvek headgear from the responders either.

Lol, yes, remarkably calm...

Everyone knew what was going on.

So either a) everyone knew it was BS or b) everyone does not mind dying or c) they were total sheep awaiting a slaughter

or d) everyone realized if they actually were exposed, there was nothing they could at at that point to make things better except to let protocol run it's course.

I would have been off that plane pronto !

And what, exactly, do you think the protocol is for those law enforcement officers who were surrounding the aircraft while it was parked on the tarmac?