Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: “Why blacks should have more guns” John R. Lott, Jr., CPRC at CNN

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161

    “Why blacks should have more guns” John R. Lott, Jr., CPRC at CNN

    The final paragraphs...
    “The big problem,” Lott says, “is that law-abiding good citizens, not criminals, obey the gun control laws.”
    But are gun proponents like Lott really promoting safety or, as one scholar says, are they selling fear?
    Gallagher, the sociologist, says gun producers and the NRA create a perpetual state of fear so that people can buy their products. An NRA spokesman, Andrew Arulanandam, was repeatedly contacted but declined to answer questions submitted for this article. . . .
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/10/us/guns-race/index.html

    http://crimepreventionresearchcenter...ave-more-guns/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Or ... whites don't want blacks to have guns ... the basic premise ... and a valid one. Created by scaring white folks into thinking that every black man is a rapist.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Very much like the question "Why don't more Jews have guns?" is the question "Why don't more blacks have guns?" The latter are more likely to be targeted - by other blacks - than Jews are likely to be targeted by any color/political leaning of criminal. And yet so many folks throw up the history of the Night Riders as the justification for more blacks to own guns.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787

    Why we should stop saying one group or another should have more guns...

    ...because it's racist. There will always be variances of gun ownership between the races because is correlated with culture, and cultures differ. The fact that cultures differ have absolutely zero bearing on whether one is better than another. All have pros, cons, and a whole lot of variation within.

    Give it a rest.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  5. #5
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Yet culture isn't attached to a pigment.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    ...because it's racist. There will always be variances of gun ownership between the races because is correlated with culture, and cultures differ. The fact that cultures differ have absolutely zero bearing on whether one is better than another. All have pros, cons, and a whole lot of variation within.

    Give it a rest.
    Respectfull, in these two cases I disagree. Both groups (blacks and Jews) have some of the lowest percentage of firearm ownership and the highest percentage of opposition to firearm ownership. Both groups had (and many say still have) the highest percentage of assaults/attacks except for the amorphous category of "White Non-Hispanic" which by sheer numbers overwhelms the rest of the population. Blacks have a significantly higher percentage of crime committed against them by other blacks than crimes committed against blacks by any other race.

    Both have a history of being forbidden to possess firearms. Both have a history of persecution based on race/religion. Both have a history of not taking personal responsibility for self defense while relying on a police system that often is openly hostile towards them.

    Go figure.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Respectfull, in these two cases I disagree.
    On what points? Your points mirrored what I said about how "there will always be variances of gun ownership between the races because is correlated with culture, and cultures differ."

    You're missing the point. The question was, "Why we should stop saying one group or another should have more guns" and the answer is "because it's racist."

    Knowing there are variances between subsets of the population is quite altogether different than saying one subset or another should have more guns.

    The first comment is merely science, specifically, statistics.

    The second comment is racist.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Obviously our definitions of "racist" are different.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Obviously our definitions of "racist" are different.
    Well, to clear the air, mine is simply suggesting that people of one race should behave or be treated in a matter differently than people of another.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Well, to clear the air, mine is simply suggesting that people of one race should behave or be treated in a matter differently than people of another.
    Did you drop a word?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  11. #11
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Every free man and woman should be allowed to own and carry a gun. Without the restrictive training and expense, without the piece of paper. And be allowed to buy guns they can afford. No matter what their color or race or religion.

    Yes gun control has it's roots in racism, but has been taken past that into cultural warfare. Blacks have a higher percentage of felonies than other races, so denying a free person after they have paid their dept keeps them without the tools to protect their families.

    Plus gun control does not work, everybody knows it, yet we continue down the same path.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Every free man and woman should be allowed to own and carry a gun. Without the restrictive training and expense, without the piece of paper. And be allowed to buy guns they can afford. No matter what their color or race or religion.

    Yes gun control has it's roots in racism, but has been taken past that into cultural warfare. Blacks have a higher percentage of felonies than other races, so denying a free person after they have paid their dept keeps them without the tools to protect their families.

    Plus gun control does not work, everybody knows it, yet we continue down the same path.
    Very well said, WalkingWolf.

    No, skidmark, I didn't. Why do you ask?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  13. #13
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Sorry, but the mere mention of race in the context of suggesting said race should own more guns is NOT racist. No one is suggesting that any one race is superior, one is simply suggesting that a specific race could be stronger in relation to itself if gun ownership was more common.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Sorry, but the mere mention of race in the context of suggesting said race should own more guns is NOT racist. No one is suggesting that any one race is superior, one is simply suggesting that a specific race could be stronger in relation to itself if gun ownership was more common.
    You mean like saying "females have a greater need to own firearms than males" with the unsaid portion, "because they're weaker and less capable than the sexually dimorphic male."

    Do you not see that as being sexist?

    Racism, sexism -- they're both forms of bigotry, which, put simply, is saying one version of something is better or worse than others.

    Here's an example of a non-racist statement along the same lines as racist comments in this thread: "Some segments of the U.S. population might find greater benefit than others. Those living in high crime areas, for example, are more likely to deter or even stop crime if they're armed and well-trained."
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •