• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help Me Identify this gun!!

mechanicworkman

I am trying to get a new handgun for deer hunting. I have been mulling it over for the last few years. I was searching again today and ran acoss this picture. I am hoping someone can help identify who makes it ans possibly where to get one.

I am really wanting one in something in bolt action possibly 30/06 however not sure how much of a handcannon it will be. Mabe some can provide some input.

I have checked online but, found like the I found like the remington XP-100 but didnt like the layout of it.

Mabe some can help Identity the one in picture or point me right direction!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• masters2x350.jpg
    masters2x350.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 201

mechanicworkman

I found this picture! Not sure of the barrel length on this the handgrip if alot more flashy than I need.

Attachments

• SEBXP100.jpg
    SEBXP100.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 187

since9

Campaign Veteran
Don't recognize it. Sorry.

In the early 1990s, I hunted with a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 magnum outfitted with a scope and firing Black Talon ammo.

At the time, only two loads met Washington State's minimum handgun requirement of 500 ft-lbs of energy at 100 yds. Those loads were Federal Jacketed hollow point and Black Talon. Controlled testing on a rest at the firing range revealed 20 rounds of the Federal Jacketed hallow point rounds had an average miss radius of 13.7 inches at 100 yards, which just wouldn't cut it for hunting. The Black Talon rounds, however, sported a 2.3" average miss radius at 100 yards. That was definitely a win.

I found a cross-chest carry rig which accommodated the scope and fit nicely beneath my heavy winter jacket. Perfect for mucking through scrub brush or scrambling up and down slopes.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a "hand cannon," but it certainly has a kick, and a round impacting anywhere in the thoracic region had no problem dropping a buck where he stood.

defcon4

I believe it may possibly be a highly modified a Remington XP-100. They have been out of production for quite some time, however they can still be found for sale on the Gunbroker site. Also another possibility is the Savage Stryker. I am not sure if it is still in production. But if my memory serves me it was produced in primarily a left hand bolt configuration. Both of these handguns were very popular in the silhouette shooting competitions. There were also some custom made guns being made in this configuration, from the actions of popular bolt action rifles. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Don't recognize it. Sorry.

In the early 1990s, I hunted with a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 magnum outfitted with a scope and firing Black Talon ammo.

At the time, only two loads met Washington State's minimum handgun requirement of 500 ft-lbs of energy at 100 yds. Those loads were Federal Jacketed hollow point and Black Talon. .

How would they ever test for it if you were using hand loads.

Fallschirjmäger

How would they ever test for it if you were using hand loads.
Why would they have to test for it? Compliance with the law is the citizenry's responsibility, prosecution for non-compliance (should it ever come up) is the state's. It's just like NJ's prohibition on hollow pointed bullets, they don't have to check every bullet someone has, just the ones that come to their attention.

The pistol pictured could be from just about anywhere, all one needs is to purchase a barreled action that had never before been assembled into a rifle and it could legally be constructed as a pistol. Come to think of it, it would not necessarily need even have a barrel at time of purchase, just never have been assembled as a rifle.

Regarding the XP-100 specifically, you'll never find one in .30-06 as the XP was only offered in a 'short action' receiver (.308 max).

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Considering the accuracy of the AR platform, a lower with a 308 upper would be a great hunting pistol. Myself I prefer a rifle for hunting, handgun is for back up.

defcon4

Why would they have to test for it? Compliance with the law is the citizenry's responsibility, prosecution for non-compliance (should it ever come up) is the state's. It's just like NJ's prohibition on hollow pointed bullets, they don't have to check every bullet someone has, just the ones that come to their attention.

The pistol pictured could be from just about anywhere, all one needs is to purchase a barreled action that had never before been assembled into a rifle and it could legally be constructed as a pistol. Come to think of it, it would not necessarily need even have a barrel at time of purchase, just never have been assembled as a rifle.

Regarding the XP-100 specifically, you'll never find one in .30-06 as the XP was only offered in a 'short action' receiver (.308 max).

You are absolutely correct about the XP100 being a short action. And most of them were chambered in .221 Fireball. Not sure what Savage chambered their version in. Also, I seriously doubt that anybody would last very long at the range shooting 30.06 cartridges from a handgun platform.:lol:

Last edited:

mechanicworkman

As I am working out of the country I am going to miss rifle season this year. Im trying to get a gun thats technically within Missouri's alternative methods seson requirements; It was formally the muzzelloader season. However they expaned the allowable options a person can hunt with.

Now handguns is legal durign that timeframe. I dont see a regulation on bullet size. I have an AR-10 (7.62mm). I suppose I could buy a lower receiver registered under a pistol.

According to the hunting pamphlet
◾
Centerfire pistols or revolvers using expanding-type bullets
such as lead or copper

That leaves alot of options from that statement.

I have an AR-10 (7.62mm). I suppose I could buy a lower receiver registered under a pistol. However im not sure how the barrel length affects legality of pistol. Anyone know?

I do prefeer to get gun in a caliber that I already have. I have a wildcat 30/338 Win Mag which is not viable option for a pistol. 30/06 possibly an option, 7.62mm/308 Definitly possible from what you are saying, and .223. Not sure I want to deer hunt with a .223. 30/06 was a good option. Its been a few years but I was a the range probly 10 yrs ago and a guy had a 30/06 cutdown of some sort. and its something like that was really hoping for!

mechanicworkman

Considering the accuracy of the AR platform, a lower with a 308 upper would be a great hunting pistol. Myself I prefer a rifle for hunting, handgun is for back up.

I prefer hunting with a rifle too however not legal during alternative methods season! Hence the reason I am looking at other avenues!

mechanicworkman

LMAO.......claymores are destructive devices.....unfortunately can't hunt with those in this season either.......then again I'm not sure there is a hunting season you can....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

mechanicworkman

Savage striker more be more up my alley. I didnt like the handgrip in middle of the pistol like the XP-100. This oone dosnt look to bad.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 95

davidmcbeth

Banned
Claymores work well.

So do booby traps. If you need a lesson watch Predator.

I hunt the animal with the best tasting meat...the cow. Crafty creatures..if skilled enough though (after years of training to be almost ninja-like) one can creep up on them to near point blank range. And then kill them with a medium sized gun or a sledgehammer.

Primus

I hunt the animal with the best tasting meat...the cow. Crafty creatures..if skilled enough though (after years of training to be almost ninja-like) one can creep up on them to near point blank range. And then kill them with a medium sized gun or a sledgehammer.
Cite? My cows will certainly be onto your sledge hammer tactics.

Wait... Are we talking women or domesticated animals?