• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Incorrect information purported by gun store associate in Charlotte

Afrowq

My wife and I were shopping for ammo and holsters at Carolina Sporting Arms in Charlotte yesterday. While chatting with the sales associate about gun laws, the associate said the following blatantly untrue statements.

The first thing she said which was incorrect is that NC is one of only a handful of states that allows open carry.

The associate also said if a cop sees a citizen safely and legally open carrying in a private business, the cop can force the open carrier to leave at their discretion.

The third false statement the associate said was the most upsetting. She said that any police officer can "run the serial number of a firearm" that is being open carried in a legal manner.

My jaw about hit the floor. I know there are a lot of people who don't know their rights, but to hear such nonsense being spouted by an employee of a gun store (and one that teaches classes in NC law and firearms safety) was very demoralizing and frustrating.

solus

My wife and I were shopping for ammo and holsters at Carolina Sporting Arms in Charlotte yesterday. While chatting with the sales associate about gun laws, the associate said the following blatantly untrue statements.
The first thing she said which was incorrect is that NC is one of only a handful of states that allows open carry.
The associate also said if a cop sees a citizen safely and legally open carrying in a private business, the cop can force the open carrier to leave at their discretion.
The third false statement the associate said was the most upsetting. She said that any police officer can "run the serial number of a firearm" that is being open carried in a legal manner.
My jaw about hit the floor. I know there are a lot of people who don't know their rights, but to hear such nonsense being spouted by an employee of a gun store (and one that teaches classes in NC law and firearms safety) was very demoralizing and frustrating.

AFROWG, if you go back into the archives of this sub-forum ~ you must be really bored BTW, you will discern this is a common premise from the western part of the state. if you read some of the dead threads you will discover there are some very obtuse thinking patterns coming from CHP instructors, firearm store employees, as well as just plain citizens in the western part of the TarHeel state. if you do read the dead threads you will see some strenuous conversation(s) has ensued but apparently these folk are still FOBAR'd in their thinking processes about OC'g here in NC.

glad you are one of enlightened ones just be careful you do not become infected by this horrible reality disease affecting a great many ppl over in your neck of the woods...(the sales associate didn't touch you did they? or you might become infected over a period of time) :lol:

i just smile and sometimes ask could they show that to me in the statutes?

ipse

Fallschirjmäger

Agreed. All were incorrect, all are somewhat widely believed even by those that should know better, and all are easily corrected (if one wants to correct their erroneous beliefs).

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...My jaw about hit the floor. I know there are a lot of people who don't know their rights, but to hear such nonsense being spouted by an employee of a gun store (and one that teaches classes in NC law and firearms safety) was very demoralizing and frustrating.

Greetings from (usually:uhoh:) sunny, dry Arizona, Afrowq!:)

The question now is, "What are you going to do about it?"

You can stand by and let the employee continue to spout nonsense, and the patron leave ill-informed (do nothing).

OR:
You can try to correct the employee directly, which may result in being asked not to return to the store.
You can write a letter to management letting them know of the situation.
You can stand by and let the employee continue to spout nonsense, BUT give the patrons the correct info.
You can make little cards that have a quick reference of applicable OC laws, which can be handed out to the patrons you see receive erroneous info (as well as people who ask you about OC).
[INSERT ANOTHER IDEA THAT MAKES A CHANGE TO THE STATUS QUO]

Garand_guy from Nevada went ahead and made some cards that he passes out. The cards have summaries of the laws and have a link to a website he made to further explain the laws.

I try to correct people I converse with, but have yet to encounter a gun store employee or an instructor who has spouted off nonsense regarding the law (now, nonsense regarding the "tactical element of surprise" that CC gives over OC...:().

This is a Rubicon; red pill or blue pill?
2121606903_90cab70b85.jpg

Last edited:

Afrowq

Greetings from (usually:uhoh:) sunny, dry Arizona, Afrowq!:)

The question now is, "What are you going to do about it?"

You can stand by and let the employee continue to spout nonsense, and the patron leave ill-informed (do nothing).

OR:
You can try to correct the employee directly, which may result in being asked not to return to the store.
You can write a letter to management letting them know of the situation.
You can stand by and let the employee continue to spout nonsense, BUT give the patrons the correct info.
You can make little cards that have a quick reference of applicable OC laws, which can be handed out to the patrons you see receive erroneous info (as well as people who ask you about OC).
[INSERT ANOTHER IDEA THAT MAKES A CHANGE TO THE STATUS QUO]

Garand_guy from Nevada went ahead and made some cards that he passes out. The cards have summaries of the laws and have a link to a website he made to further explain the laws.

I try to correct people I converse with, but have yet to encounter a gun store employee or an instructor who has spouted off nonsense regarding the law (now, nonsense regarding the "tactical element of surprise" that CC gives over OC...:().

This is a Rubicon; red pill or blue pill?
View attachment 12117

I did point out to the clerk that she was wrong. I also wrote a detailed email to the store manager expressing my shock and my hope that in the future their employees will not spread false information.

Rusty Young Man

I did point out to the clerk that she was wrong. I also wrote a detailed email to the store manager expressing my shock and my hope that in the future their employees will not spread false information.

Hopefully the manager is able to see how they could be perceived should someone get in trouble following their advice.

Best of luck, and kudos for doing something to better your patch of Earth.:) Keep us updated on any response?

Afrowq

Hopefully the manager is able to see how they could be perceived should someone get in trouble following their advice.

Best of luck, and kudos for doing something to better your patch of Earth.:) Keep us updated on any response?

Will do. No response yet.

Afrowq

Store manager response

The store manager wrote me back. He thanked me for coming into the store and said he will look into the matter. Pretty generic response.

solus

while generic, at least someone took the time to generate the letter, address the envelope, as well as lick and stick the stamp on... :banana:

bottom line, good job as you got someone's attention ~ short as it might be :banghead:

ipse