• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To carry or leave it in the car?

BlueSquid

Had a situation occur today, not a bad one, but one that got me thinking...When you're out and about with your significant other and kids and you stop somewhere quick, where only you run in and the family stays in the car, do you take your gun with you or leave it in the car? Generally, I don't like leaving my gun in the car because it's not much good to me if I'm not in there with it. However, the other day my wife and I were on our way home with our daughter in the back seat. We stopped at a local 7-11 gas station so I could run in to grab a few things, while they stayed in the car. In these situations, I almost always leave the gun in the car for my wife, since she doesn't have her own yet and those two girls are probably 90% of the reason I carry, with the other 10% being a mix between exercising the rights I and many before me fought to protect and self preservation. My wife knows how to use it, and is a perfectly capable shooter. So, really I'd rather it be available to her in the car than with me in the store if anything were to happen in that situation. In the store, though, I ran into a fella who was OC'ing. I know it's silly but I feel like I missed out on the opportunity for a "bro" moment by not having my own gun on my person. I took notice of his and gave him a nod and told him I appreciated what he was doing still, but while it's nice to hear those words from someone, it's always nicer to see someone else actually practicing it at the same time.

So, what do you guys do in a similar situation? Am I dumb for doing that in the first place? I know the situation could well be avoided by getting my wife her own, and that's being worked on. Have you ever had a similar feeling when seeing someone carrying at a time you either chose not to or weren't able? Let me know what you think!

-BlueSquid

BlueSquid

Haha I've actually been considering doing just that! Just haven't posted anything in the thread about it since I'm not sure if the wife is going to want to drive an hour and a half for dinner, but I'm working on it. I might just have to be a last minute surprise addition.

Side note: not sure why this thread was moved, not that I mind. I just figured since my questions weren't specific to OC in VA that General was an appropriate place for it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The obvious answer is to get your wife her own firearm and all the accoutrements for carrying.

Given the circumstances you describe, I think you are correct in assessing the greater danger as being to your wife and kids.

The only problem I can see is that when you shift your handgun you are exposing yourself to the consequences of someone seeing you, freaking out, and accusing you of brandishing. The risk may be small, but it's there and needs to be considered. Even if you leave your handgun in the holster and hand the whole package to your wife someone seeing the activity and with an ax to grind or an agenda can ruin your day.

Referring to the first paragraph above and following through on it will eliminate the possibility of the third paragraph happening.

stay safe.

Firearms Iinstuctor

It has been so long that can't hardly remember when I didn't have more then one handgun available.

Personally I would carry with me because I would have it in a holster on my person.

Marco

The obvious answer is to get your wife her own firearm and all the accoutrements for carrying.

Given the circumstances you describe, I think you are correct in assessing the greater danger as being to your wife and kids.

The only problem I can see is that when you shift your handgun you are exposing yourself to the consequences of someone seeing you, freaking out, and accusing you of brandishing. The risk may be small, but it's there and needs to be considered. Even if you leave your handgun in the holster and hand the whole package to your wife someone seeing the activity and with an ax to grind or an agenda can ruin your day.

Referring to the first paragraph above and following through on it will eliminate the possibility of the third paragraph happening.

stay safe.

Agree with Skid.
For some reason if you aren't able to purchase a second firearm or she isn't ready consider alternative items......bear spray, taser etc....

Also, might consider having her slide over to the drives seat while you're inside incase the need arises to flee.

Last edited:

2a4all

stay safe.
I agree with Skid here.

If you are able, you might consider a 2nd handgun for keeping in the glove box or center console, as either of these are suitable for storage of a loaded handgun with no requirement for a CHP. However, other rules may interfere with this, as in driving onto K-12 school property while no one in the vehicle has a CHP.

Your wife should probably apply for her own CHP.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
So, what do you guys do in a similar situation? -BlueSquid

Why not carry two pistols and leave one in the car. No visible transfer to PO the antis and she is still armed. Get her armed and legal.

On another note.....it is a tad difficult to read the "wall of text" without paragraphs. No complain, just sayin'

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It's hard for me to answer your exact question. I suppose the proper answer to that exact situation is if you'e wearing it, keep wearing it but if not, leave it with your wife.

Skidmark is correct as usual considering the tragic charges Scouser was faced with for simply putting his gun in a holster while in his car.

The solution offered to have more than one gun is good. I have resident guns (usually several) that stay in the car and despite warnings about them being stolen, none have in the nearly 50 years I've been doing it.
Your wife should have her own gun and doesn't need a CHP to carry it (although my wife does have one).

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I think most will agree with skidmark, at least in principle.

Given there's only one gun available, the tactically sound decision would be to leave it where it can do the most good for the most people (or most important people); you've stated to you that is your wife and children. Therefore, leaving it in the car leaves her both the fight and flight options to protect them, though it leaves you temporarily unprotected. And given that most of us recognize the likelihood of needing to use it is slim in most places, a temporary lack of protection may be a risk that, all else considered, you're willing to take.

I have to say it's very, very rare that spouse and I aren't both carrying, so it's not a situation I'd have thought of.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Haha I've actually been considering doing just that! Just haven't posted anything in the thread about it since I'm not sure if the wife is going to want to drive an hour and a half for dinner, but I'm working on it. I might just have to be a last minute surprise addition.

Side note: not sure why this thread was moved, not that I mind. I just figured since my questions weren't specific to OC in VA that General was an appropriate place for it.
Walk ins are always welcomed :)

You are correct in that your question(s) may not be limited to just OC in Virginia, but the General Discussion is for RKBA (other than hand gun), so moved it to the Viginia sub-forum. More state specific than not.

BlueSquid

All valid points. Our next firearm purchase is going to be for her, though I may try to talk her into a "his and hers" deal haha. You aren't wrong about the possible issues with transferring the pistol being misconstrued by an anti or someone who's just ignorant. It's always a concern of mine, so I obviously do my best to not do it when others are walking by my car. Though in trying to conceal the movement there's the risk of looking even more like you're doing something wrong, so kind of a double edged sword.

I do have a second pistol, though that is a fairly recent development. I just never really considered bringing it along for some reason. Having to drive on base 5 days a week means I can't just keep one in my truck at all times, so I suppose it never occurred to me since I would have to put it in there every afternoon and take it out at the end of every night. However, having it there and available far outweighs the inconvenience, so I'll start doing just that.

I apologize for the block of text, it's been a great long while since I've had to write with proper formatting, and the age of text messaging has taken it's toll on a lot of us. I do try to avoid the word vomit, and I tried to do that in my original post, just imagine if I hadn't haha. At any rate, it's something I am trying to get back in the habit of doing, sorry if I blinded anyone. :p

The Truth

Skid hit the nail on the head. I choose to keep my sidearm on me at all times though, but that's just personal preference.

Off topic (kinda) - Me and the misses went to the range today and she shot a Ruger SP101 .38 and really liked it. Seeing her making progress and getting more and more accurate and comfortable is really fulfilling! She's even starting to consider a semi-auto!

Maverick9

Addressing the question as asked, I would think the safest place at the convenience store would be inside a locked car, but with the spouse behind the wheel, motor running. In addition, it should be backed into the parking space or even parked off to the side and not directly in front of the store, doors locked, with a watchful eye, awaiting your return to pop the locks.

A locked car is mobile, facilitating escape and at times can be used as a weapon.

My suggestion would be to trade drivers, and keep your sidearm on you. In addition, the least safe place by a slight margin, I suspect would be inside the store, which might be the site of a robbery attempt.

I'd give the spouse instructions to drive to a safe location if danger appeared.

ChristCrusader

Two armed adults is far superior to one.
Especially with one outside of the car, in the store, and one in the car with the kids.
You have the probability of outflanking a lethal threat be it to you in the store, or to her in a locked car, while the criminal is occupied with either.
The obvious solution is for you both to be armed.
As has been noted, one in a container in the car until she gets her CHP is legal. You just have to be the one to transfer it our of the car into the house.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As has been noted, one in a container in the car until she gets her CHP is legal. You just have to be the one to transfer it our of the car into the house.

No he doesn't. As long as it's open she's free to transfer it anywhere she pleases.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ChristCrusader

No he doesn't. As long as it's open she's free to transfer it anywhere she pleases.
+1 in Virginia.

If legal to be there with a gun, she may carry (OC) at her pleasure - in her home, vehicle, or out in public.

Liberating....yes?

Marco

SNIP-
You just have to be the one to transfer it out of the car into the house.

§ 18.2-308. Carrying concealed weapons; exceptions; penalty. A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature. It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of clause (i) regarding a handgun, that a person had been issued, at the time of the offense, a valid concealed handgun permit.
B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

Per VA code she could even conceal it.

But if you believe you are correct could you please provide a cite, thanks.

ManofGod

Two armed adults is far superior to one.
Especially with one outside of the car, in the store, and one in the car with the kids.
You have the probability of outflanking a lethal threat be it to you in the store, or to her in a locked car, while the criminal is occupied with either.
The obvious solution is for you both to be armed.

"You have the probability of outflanking a lethal threat be it to you in the store, or to her in a locked car, while the criminal is occupied with either"

Huh? Why would he want his wife to "outflank" some gangster in a 7-11??? Take the kids and drive the hell away and let me the husband fend for myself.