Thread: Voiceprints harvested. Barclays, Vanguard: "My voice is my password."

Voiceprints harvested. Barclays, Vanguard: "My voice is my password."

Businesses and governments around the world increasingly are turning to voice biometrics, or voiceprints, to pay pensions, collect taxes, track criminals and replace passwords.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wir...ested-26150622

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...w6mAP9OfMsaiTM 16 articles ATM
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Businesses and governments around the world increasingly are turning to voice biometrics, or voiceprints, to pay pensions, collect taxes, track criminals and replace passwords.
    If so, that's fairly stupid, as voiceprints are among the easiest biometrics to collect and reproduce. In fact, you can both collect and present them remotely. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Except, of course, for the fact that it's a great marketing tool, for the convenience of their customers who can authenticate merely by speaking into their cell phones.

The best approach to IT security involves a three-part approach:

• key card - required for access, very easily invalidated by either the individual or management, thereby preventing access
    • biometric - provides evidence the individual was actually present. Fingerprints are cheap, but easily forged. Retinal scans are expensive, but difficult to forge.
    • PIN - provides evidence the individual consented or didn't consent; two pins, both of which work, but one of which flags the system, announcing to security you are under duress

*Amazingly enough,* this is precisely what's used by the federal government, via the CAC (common access card), albeit with fingerprints for issue/reissue, not authentication. For increased security, the system can be augmented with retinal scans, RFID, or other means. The system locks upon just one of several events.
    Last edited by since9; 10-16-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.