Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in Previously Forbidden Municipalities

Carrying in Previously Forbidden Municipalities

I'm starting a new thread in a similar vein as "Where did you carry today......" but only with a narrower specificity: In what previously banned location did you carry today, and did you encounter any problems?

While I rarely post in the "Where did you carry" thread as I OC everywhere I go, and to list them would fill pages with unremarkable non-events, I would like to invite folks to simply list new locations that they visit OC'ing that were previously off limits, and save any comments for any negative encounters.

Here. I'll begin↓

Visited Amini's, Home Depot, and of course Starbucks at Boone's Crossing in Chesterfield this morning.

No problems.

Anyone know what Walmart's policy is on open carry?

Not this again.

You couldn't consult any of the 3000 threads that end up clarifying that they abide by state law?

Or did you notice the part in my OP that specifically requested we talk about everything else but carrying in previously forbidden locations?

Oh wait. I forgot to put that in there.

Any ideas why?

Red face Better question for open carry in previously not allowed area

Quote Originally Posted by jad316 View Post
    It was a question NO NEED --Mod edited/deleted--
    spoke with leo in several muni's.and st.Louis city not a one had even heard of 656 and only

one who was new said he used to carry ccw till he got hired in july...used to follow open carry

carefully but wasn't aware they had passed it????seems a news and media blackout has happened

again. same thing happened when ccw was passed, they never announced or spoke on radio of the part

that allowed anyone over 21 and not a felon to carry in car without any special permit.I for one am interested

in what encounters happen, if any now that open carry is alive ..city cop asked whats the cop to do about and angry crowd

of protestors who are now allowed to open carry?? in st. Louis city....I said ask politely to see there ccw.and if they refuse

cite them with 35 dollar ticket, but that u are not allowed to disarm or restrain them while doing it...

comments fellow carriers??/
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-14-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Edited quote

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plumberdan View Post
    spoke with leo in several muni's.and st.Louis city not a one had even heard of 656 and only

one who was new said he used to carry ccw till he got hired in july...used to follow open carry

carefully but wasn't aware they had passed it????seems a news and media blackout has happened

again. same thing happened when ccw was passed, they never announced or spoke on radio of the part

that allowed anyone over 21 and not a felon to carry in car without any special permit.I for one am interested

in what encounters happen, if any now that open carry is alive ..city cop asked whats the cop to do about and angry crowd

of protestors who are now allowed to open carry?? in st. Louis city....I said ask politely to see there ccw.and if they refuse

cite them with 35 dollar ticket, but that u are not allowed to disarm or restrain them while doing it...

comments fellow carriers??/
    There are some people you don't need to educate.

And frankly I believe the constitutional amendment nullifies 656.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    There are some people you don't need to educate.

And frankly I believe the constitutional amendment nullifies 656.
    I AGREE that the constitutional amendment SHOULD nullify 656. But just because its in our state constitution, doesn't mean it will be followed, by THOSE who are sworn to uphold our state constitution and the statutes of Missouri.
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Quote Originally Posted by Richieg150 View Post
    I AGREE that the constitutional amendment SHOULD nullify 656. But just because its in our state constitution, doesn't mean it will be followed, by THOSE who are sworn to uphold our state constitution and the statutes of Missouri.
    Well....to be technical....SB656 would not be nullified by A5.

A5 may nullify a portion of SB656, the portion on OCing with a permit in restricted municipalities, but not the enitre bill. SB656 had many sections to it.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Possess a endorsement and OC. A endorsement is not required to OC anywhere in MO after A5...but, until that is resolved why take a chance. In a no OC ban town no change. In a OC is banned town take the $35 ticket and fight it in court. Get a judge to "convict" and file an appeal. Is this the cheesy route (less expensive?) I don't know. Remember you cannot be disarmed absent some criminal activity alleged by the cop.

Unless of course $35 is more than you can afford.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    In what previously banned location did you carry today, and did you encounter any problems?
    Did you people even bother reading the OP? Pretty simple thread topic. Really.

Did some shopping at Burlington Coat Factory in St. Louis City on Saturday, it is true that the majority of people don't even notice. No problems.

I emailed the following email to St. Louis County Captains and their response so far.
    Captains,
    I emailing you in regards to Senate Bill 656: OPEN CARRY ORDINANCE~21.750 which takes affect on October 11, 2014. My question is, have you and your staff discussed this new ordinance with the rank and file officers patrolling the streets of St. Louis County. So as they will be understanding when seeing this new carry method and also per the law you have a section that reads "IN ADDITION, NO PERSON CARRYING A CONCEALED OR UNCONCEALED HANDGUN MAY BE DISARMED OR PHYSICALLY RESTRAINED BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER UNLESS UNDER ARREST OR IF THERE IS NO REASONABLE AND ARTICULABLE SUSPICION OF CRIMINAL ACTIVITY". And will the dispatchers be made aware of a man with a gun call could very well be a CCW holder exercising this new right. Basically I'm just wondering how your officers will be addressing fellow citizens when engaging them as they are your responsibility.

Captain Sack: Response

Sir, we are aware of Senate Bill 656, and we keep our officers appraised of legislation updates such as this. When our 9-1-1 call takers receive calls of this nature; we obtain as much information from the caller as possible and dispatch an officer to conduct an investigation. The officers are trained to handle each call for service based on the individual circumstances of the situation.
    If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at the phone number listed below.

Captain Steve Sack, Commander,
    Bureau of Communications
    St. Louis County Police Department
    7900 Forsyth, Clayton, MO 63105
    Office 314-615-5361
    Fax 314-615-4698
    cid:image004.png@01CF6F72.CEE9D6E0

Best non answer I have seen. I do not believe that the average LEO on the street will have changed much. A few good pricey lawsuits will more than likely get their attention faster.

Quote Originally Posted by jad316 View Post
    I emailed the following email to St. Louis County Captains and their response so far.
    Captains,
    I emailing you in regards to Senate Bill 656: OPEN CARRY ORDINANCE~21.750 which takes affect on October 11, 2014. My question is, have you and your staff discussed this new ordinance with the rank and file officers patrolling the streets of St. Louis County. So as they will be understanding when seeing this new carry method and also per the law you have a section that reads "IN ADDITION, NO PERSON CARRYING A CONCEALED OR UNCONCEALED HANDGUN MAY BE DISARMED OR PHYSICALLY RESTRAINED BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER UNLESS UNDER ARREST OR IF THERE IS NO REASONABLE AND ARTICULABLE SUSPICION OF CRIMINAL ACTIVITY". And will the dispatchers be made aware of a man with a gun call could very well be a CCW holder exercising this new right. Basically I'm just wondering how your officers will be addressing fellow citizens when engaging them as they are your responsibility.

Captain Sack: Response

Sir, we are aware of Senate Bill 656, and we keep our officers appraised of legislation updates such as this. When our 9-1-1 call takers receive calls of this nature; we obtain as much information from the caller as possible and dispatch an officer to conduct an investigation. The officers are trained to handle each call for service based on the individual circumstances of the situation.
    If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at the phone number listed below.

Captain Steve Sack, Commander,
    Bureau of Communications
    St. Louis County Police Department
    7900 Forsyth, Clayton, MO 63105
    Office 314-615-5361
    Fax 314-615-4698
    cid:image004.png@01CF6F72.CEE9D6E0
    Good man! (jad316 that is).

As to the Captain, okay, fine. Now, jad316, do a records request for the memos, training materials, etc. that were disseminated to the officers. Let us know the result.

Also training for dispatchers...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

how do you request this?

Google Missouri sunshine law

So moving this thread back on topic:

I've been OCing from my apartment to car and back for a couple days now. Nothing at all to report, but generally there's not many people around. I'll update as needed when I get to a new location.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

OC'd at the QT on Page and Galt Industrial yesterday. Even had to go inside to pay cash for gas. I'm relatively sure a few people noticed, but nothing happened. Nobody screamed, the sky didn't fall, life went on. It was perfectly fine.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Fair Grove used to be a OC friendly place, but then passed an ordinance against it. Since SB 656 and Amendment 5 went into effect I have carried there several times with no unusual issues. Sometimes it takes longer to get your business done since some folks want to chat about guns, but other than that, smooth sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by HYRYSC View Post
    Fair Grove used to be a OC friendly place, but then passed an ordinance against it. Since SB 656 and Amendment 5 went into effect I have carried there several times with no unusual issues. Sometimes it takes longer to get your business done since some folks want to chat about guns, but other than that, smooth sailing.
    Chatting with folks about guns is a good thing while carrying, if well spoken and articulate. It helps shine a good light on those OC, or can have just the opposite effect.
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Carried today at the Wal-Mart off 70 and St. Charles Rock Road. Was only there for about 10 minutes to pick up some things for lunch this week, which was the plan. Again, nothing happened.

Was down at the Plaza in KC for about 3 hours this afternoon. Nothing unusual to report, even got a thumbs up from a couple cops in a cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Richieg150 View Post
    Chatting with folks about guns is a good thing while carrying, if well spoken and articulate. It helps shine a good light on those OC, or can have just the opposite effect.
    I usually just start muttering about "popping a cap!". Would that be considered well spoken and articulate?

Of course I jest. I NEVER bring up anything about firearms, carrying weapons etc to strangers, however some folks like to bring the subject up and I will converse with them if it interests me.

I may be taking it wrong, but Richieg150, it seemed that you were talking down to me a bit there?
    Last edited by HYRYSC; 10-20-2014 at 03:00 PM.

My post will hit a few forbidden but also allowed...OC Motorcycle

I work in Clayton and since the SB656 went into effect I have ridden from Clayton to Labadie 4 times while open carrying. (with a CCW, I'm not at liberty to test Amendment 5)
    My route takes me through many muni's that have their own police department and some that simply rely on St. Louis County Police or the Franklin County Sheriff's department. By memory here are the towns/cities that I roll through quietly:

Clayton
    Richmond Heights
    Brentwood
    Webster Groves
    Crestwood
    Sunset Hills
    Fenton
    Valley Park
    Eureka
    Pacific
    Gray Summit
    Labadie

(I'm sure I missed one or two)

I do wear a black motorcycle jacket that does blend in with my black grip on the gun, but not the silver slide, but I'm usually in khaki colored pants that are the opposite of my black holster (since work is business casual for me). So far no problems from law enforcement and no one in the public pointing at me and driving erratically to escape my presence.

My motorcycle is quiet and I don't ride like an ass hat too much. 2007 Yamaha FJR Sport Tourer. Now if I was on a Harley or other cruiser with loud pipes I could definitely see someone calling me in for a weapon once they spotted it. Perception is a funny thing. What I choose to ride or choose to wear doesn't define who I am.
    Last edited by Firepit1x; 10-21-2014 at 08:56 PM. Reason: added a couple of city's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast