• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in Previously Forbidden Municipalities

Superlite27

I'm starting a new thread in a similar vein as "Where did you carry today......" but only with a narrower specificity: In what previously banned location did you carry today, and did you encounter any problems?

While I rarely post in the "Where did you carry" thread as I OC everywhere I go, and to list them would fill pages with unremarkable non-events, I would like to invite folks to simply list new locations that they visit OC'ing that were previously off limits, and save any comments for any negative encounters.

Here. I'll begin↓

Superlite27

Not this again.

You couldn't consult any of the 3000 threads that end up clarifying that they abide by state law?

Or did you notice the part in my OP that specifically requested we talk about everything else but carrying in previously forbidden locations?

Oh wait. I forgot to put that in there.

Any ideas why?

plumberdan

Better question for open carry in previously not allowed area

It was a question NO NEED --Mod edited/deleted--

spoke with leo in several muni's.and st.Louis city not a one had even heard of 656 and only

one who was new said he used to carry ccw till he got hired in july...used to follow open carry

carefully but wasn't aware they had passed it????seems a news and media blackout has happened

again. same thing happened when ccw was passed, they never announced or spoke on radio of the part

that allowed anyone over 21 and not a felon to carry in car without any special permit.I for one am interested

in what encounters happen, if any now that open carry is alive ..city cop asked whats the cop to do about and angry crowd

of protestors who are now allowed to open carry?? in st. Louis city....I said ask politely to see there ccw.and if they refuse

cite them with 35 dollar ticket, but that u are not allowed to disarm or restrain them while doing it...

comments fellow carriers??/

Last edited by a moderator:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
spoke with leo in several muni's.and st.Louis city not a one had even heard of 656 and only

one who was new said he used to carry ccw till he got hired in july...used to follow open carry

carefully but wasn't aware they had passed it????seems a news and media blackout has happened

again. same thing happened when ccw was passed, they never announced or spoke on radio of the part

that allowed anyone over 21 and not a felon to carry in car without any special permit.I for one am interested

in what encounters happen, if any now that open carry is alive ..city cop asked whats the cop to do about and angry crowd

of protestors who are now allowed to open carry?? in st. Louis city....I said ask politely to see there ccw.and if they refuse

cite them with 35 dollar ticket, but that u are not allowed to disarm or restrain them while doing it...

comments fellow carriers??/
There are some people you don't need to educate.

And frankly I believe the constitutional amendment nullifies 656.

Richieg150

There are some people you don't need to educate.

And frankly I believe the constitutional amendment nullifies 656.

I AGREE that the constitutional amendment SHOULD nullify 656. But just because its in our state constitution, doesn't mean it will be followed, by THOSE who are sworn to uphold our state constitution and the statutes of Missouri.

Redbaron007

I AGREE that the constitutional amendment SHOULD nullify 656. But just because its in our state constitution, doesn't mean it will be followed, by THOSE who are sworn to uphold our state constitution and the statutes of Missouri.

Well....to be technical....SB656 would not be nullified by A5.

A5 may nullify a portion of SB656, the portion on OCing with a permit in restricted municipalities, but not the enitre bill. SB656 had many sections to it. ;)

OC for ME

Possess a endorsement and OC. A endorsement is not required to OC anywhere in MO after A5...but, until that is resolved why take a chance. In a no OC ban town no change. In a OC is banned town take the $35 ticket and fight it in court. Get a judge to "convict" and file an appeal. Is this the cheesy route (less expensive?) I don't know. Remember you cannot be disarmed absent some criminal activity alleged by the cop.

Unless of course $35 is more than you can afford.

xdmcompact

Did some shopping at Burlington Coat Factory in St. Louis City on Saturday, it is true that the majority of people don't even notice. No problems.

jad316

I emailed the following email to St. Louis County Captains and their response so far.
Captains,
I emailing you in regards to Senate Bill 656: OPEN CARRY ORDINANCE~21.750 which takes affect on October 11, 2014. My question is, have you and your staff discussed this new ordinance with the rank and file officers patrolling the streets of St. Louis County. So as they will be understanding when seeing this new carry method and also per the law you have a section that reads "IN ADDITION, NO PERSON CARRYING A CONCEALED OR UNCONCEALED HANDGUN MAY BE DISARMED OR PHYSICALLY RESTRAINED BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER UNLESS UNDER ARREST OR IF THERE IS NO REASONABLE AND ARTICULABLE SUSPICION OF CRIMINAL ACTIVITY". And will the dispatchers be made aware of a man with a gun call could very well be a CCW holder exercising this new right. Basically I'm just wondering how your officers will be addressing fellow citizens when engaging them as they are your responsibility.

Captain Sack: Response

Sir, we are aware of Senate Bill 656, and we keep our officers appraised of legislation updates such as this. When our 9-1-1 call takers receive calls of this nature; we obtain as much information from the caller as possible and dispatch an officer to conduct an investigation. The officers are trained to handle each call for service based on the individual circumstances of the situation.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at the phone number listed below.

Captain Steve Sack, Commander,
Bureau of Communications
St. Louis County Police Department
7900 Forsyth, Clayton, MO 63105
Office 314-615-5361
Fax 314-615-4698
cid:image004.png@01CF6F72.CEE9D6E0

Best non answer I have seen. I do not believe that the average LEO on the street will have changed much. A few good pricey lawsuits will more than likely get their attention faster.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I emailed the following email to St. Louis County Captains and their response so far.
Captains,
I emailing you in regards to Senate Bill 656: OPEN CARRY ORDINANCE~21.750 which takes affect on October 11, 2014. My question is, have you and your staff discussed this new ordinance with the rank and file officers patrolling the streets of St. Louis County. So as they will be understanding when seeing this new carry method and also per the law you have a section that reads "IN ADDITION, NO PERSON CARRYING A CONCEALED OR UNCONCEALED HANDGUN MAY BE DISARMED OR PHYSICALLY RESTRAINED BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER UNLESS UNDER ARREST OR IF THERE IS NO REASONABLE AND ARTICULABLE SUSPICION OF CRIMINAL ACTIVITY". And will the dispatchers be made aware of a man with a gun call could very well be a CCW holder exercising this new right. Basically I'm just wondering how your officers will be addressing fellow citizens when engaging them as they are your responsibility.

Captain Sack: Response

Sir, we are aware of Senate Bill 656, and we keep our officers appraised of legislation updates such as this. When our 9-1-1 call takers receive calls of this nature; we obtain as much information from the caller as possible and dispatch an officer to conduct an investigation. The officers are trained to handle each call for service based on the individual circumstances of the situation.
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at the phone number listed below.

Captain Steve Sack, Commander,
Bureau of Communications
St. Louis County Police Department
7900 Forsyth, Clayton, MO 63105
Office 314-615-5361
Fax 314-615-4698
cid:image004.png@01CF6F72.CEE9D6E0
Good man! (jad316 that is).

As to the Captain, okay, fine. Now, jad316, do a records request for the memos, training materials, etc. that were disseminated to the officers. Let us know the result.

Oramac

So moving this thread back on topic:

I've been OCing from my apartment to car and back for a couple days now. Nothing at all to report, but generally there's not many people around. I'll update as needed when I get to a new location.

Oramac

OC'd at the QT on Page and Galt Industrial yesterday. Even had to go inside to pay cash for gas. I'm relatively sure a few people noticed, but nothing happened. Nobody screamed, the sky didn't fall, life went on. It was perfectly fine.

HYRYSC

Fair Grove used to be a OC friendly place, but then passed an ordinance against it. Since SB 656 and Amendment 5 went into effect I have carried there several times with no unusual issues. Sometimes it takes longer to get your business done since some folks want to chat about guns, but other than that, smooth sailing.