• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unmarked patrol cars in Wa State

Dain Bramage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPtudZ3R6U4#t=260

Wa police breaking the law with impunity. Because they're more equal than us.

The legislation is clearly against using unmarked cars for traffic enforcement. It contains some reasonable exceptions, such as uses for undercover work or "traffic control", like if a police chief in his unmarked car has to shut off a lane during an emergency.

Law enforcement, and the WA State Patrol in particular, have twisted this around and basically thumbed their noses at the legislature. And the legislature has proven too cowardly or beholden to do anything about it.

NavyMike

The legislation is clearly against using unmarked cars for traffic enforcement. It contains some reasonable exceptions, such as uses for undercover work or "traffic control", like if a police chief in his unmarked car has to shut off a lane during an emergency.

Law enforcement, and the WA State Patrol in particular, have twisted this around and basically thumbed their noses at the legislature. And the legislature has proven too cowardly or beholden to do anything about it.

I'm not sure that's the case. The Legislature did act; just not how we'd have like.

RCW 46.61.025 was amended in 2003 to remove the need for the police vehicle to be marked, specifically because courts reversed convictions. The current version requires that the officer be in uniform and that the vehicle shall be equipped with lights and sirens.

Grim_Night

I'm not sure that's the case. The Legislature did act; just not how we'd have like.

RCW 46.61.025 was amended in 2003 to remove the need for the police vehicle to be marked, specifically because courts reversed convictions. The current version requires that the officer be in uniform and that the vehicle shall be equipped with lights and sirens.

Er... how exactly does "RCW 46.61.025: Persons riding animals or driving animal-drawn vehicles." have anything to do with police vehicles? >.>
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.025

Ok... it took me a second... but I got the joke lol

And if you didn't intend that to be a joke then I just made it into one :p

Last edited:

Primus

Is it a joke or is it serious?
Er... how exactly does "RCW 46.61.025: Persons riding animals or driving animal-drawn vehicles." have anything to do with police vehicles? >.>
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.025

Ok... it took me a second... but I got the joke lol

And if you didn't intend that to be a joke then I just made it into one :p

mikeyb

The mrs. wanted to stop by the jewelry store last weekend. Pulled next to a dark grey explorer. Then I noticed the lights behind the dark glass. Then on the door, a black KC insignia. Nice, fellas. :banghead:

decklin

The mrs. wanted to stop by the jewelry store last weekend. Pulled next to a dark grey explorer. Then I noticed the lights behind the dark glass. Then on the door, a black KC insignia. Nice, fellas. :banghead:

I've seen a Chevy Astro, a couple of trucks, and a couple other cars. All totally unmarked. Didn't even have the exempt plates.
On one of the subaru forums is a picture of a supposed Wa State Trooper in a 2011 STI.
After I came back from my last tour we were briefed that wa state patrol had purchased some gixxers.

decklin

If one of these cars ever tries to pull me over I'm not stopping. I'll dial 911 and inform them I'm driving to the nearest police station and why.
It's not worth the risk of getting killed and/or car jacked.
I knew a kid in high school that had the same lights in his s10.

Hemry

So previous to this do you have cites saying it was illegal? Say with a penalty or course of action such as this statute has?

I just wanted to clarify whether police are required to drive in marked vehicles (except undercover)? A plain reading of the law suggests that they must drive marked vehicles, except one turn of phrase that's confusing.

Summary (potentially inaccurate): It is unlawful for any public officer having charge of any vehicle to operate the same upon the public highways of this state unless and until there shall be displayed letters of contrasting color in a conspicuous place (with) name of the department of which the said vehicle is used.

RCW 46.08.065:

It is unlawful for any public officer having charge of any vehicle owned or controlled by any county, city, town, or public body in this state other than the state of Washington and used in public business to operate the same upon the public highways of this state unless and until there shall be displayed upon such automobile or other motor vehicle in letters of contrasting color not less than one and one-quarter inches in height in a conspicuous place on the right and left sides thereof, the name of such county, city, town, or other public body, together with the name of the department or office upon the business of which the said vehicle is used. This section shall not apply to vehicles of a sheriff's office, local police department, or any vehicles used by local peace officers under public authority for special undercover or confidential investigative purposes.​

I'm not clear about is the phrase "other than the state of Washington". Is this saying the state itself is exempt?

There are also further exceptions mentioned in section 2: the chief of the Washington state patrol may exempt traffic control vehicles from section 2. However, that doesn't seem to exempt from the requirements above (section 1).

Hem

J1MB0B

The WSP claims that these unmarked vehicles are exempted because they are traffic "control" vehicles, not because they are undercover. Reading RCW 46.08.066, they are still required to have official plates on traffic "control" vehicles. Most of the unmarked cars have confidential plates, at least one is being driven with no plates at all

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
fighting a ticket by unmarked vehicle:

http://youtu.be/AQVTbzyOmvg

I believe that in WA you have the right to conduct an "investigation" under the discovery rules [normal discovery is limited].

If you get a ticket, I would start an "investigation" and when denied access to people and places and things then file a motion for default/dismiss for failing to follow the discovery rules of the court.

I've never lost a traffic (speeding) ticket case...they are not easy to win just because they usually take multiple trips to the courthouse...its a stacked deck for sure.

I'm familiar with WA, IL, and CT traffic stuff...anyone who got a ticket can pm me BEFORE they plead...many of the best defenses are had prior to pleading not guilty.