• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry at night in Seattle?

Hemry

Hello,

Does anyone open carry at night? Is this a bad idea? I tend to be occupied during most daylight hours in a way that leaves me unavailable to go on walks, etc.

Common sense tells me that it's a bad idea (in the sense of less likely to have a positive outcome due to the prejudice of others), despite the fact that it's (presumably?) as lawful as carrying any other time. Can carrying a firearm at night be considered evidence of some kind of crime or ill intent?

It would also be less likely to accomplish the same things that carrying in the day would, in an area where people can see. Worth it or no?

Hem

Last edited:

decklin

Hemry, carry on!
If the night is when you go out then by all means open carry.
The presence of a firearm is not RAS of a crime.
True it might not be as much of a deterrence due to limited visibility but here's another thing to think about.
The weather is starting to cool off. Soon you'll be wearing heavier clothes and more layers. If you CC it just makes it that much more difficult to draw if you need too.
In the end though, you need to do what makes you comfortable. If OC makes you more comfortable then go for it. Otherwise CC if that works best for you.

Spooler41

Open Carry at Night

Hemry, Your right to open or concealed carry does not change with the time of day or night.
The rights to carry are good 24,7,365. All day,all night ,every day of every week,of every month
of every year.

......................Jack

acmariner99

It doesn't matter when you carry, it just matters what you are comfortable with. If you are newer to OC, I'd suggest carrying in places you frequent first. You'll find people really don't care or pay much attention. The nerves get better with time. I OCed in downtown Seattle this past weekend for the first time without a problem.

Seriona

Hello,

Does anyone open carry at night? Is this a bad idea? I tend to be occupied during most daylight hours in a way that leaves me unavailable to go on walks, etc.

Common sense tells me that it's a bad idea (in the sense of less likely to have a positive outcome due to the prejudice of others), despite the fact that it's (presumably?) as lawful as carrying any other time. Can carrying a firearm at night be considered evidence of some kind of crime or ill intent?

It would also be less likely to accomplish the same things that carrying in the day would, in an area where people can see. Worth it or no?

Hem

No one really cares if you OC. I OC because of it being too hot to CC and when people talk about you OCing, they usually are neutral. It is usually long guns that make heads roll. No pun intended.

Bill45

No one really cares if you OC. I OC because of it being too hot to CC and when people talk about you OCing, they usually are neutral. It is usually long guns that make heads roll. No pun intended.

The term is "make eyes roll"
But "heads" may make sense in this case too as some people blow their tops when they see open carry of long guns.

Seriona

The term is "make eyes roll"
But "heads" may make sense in this case too as some people blow their tops when they see open carry of long guns.

Well the "warrant alarm" clause was what I was talking about. See, I notice in WA, if someone sees you OC a handgun, they justify it as "clearly for self defense" but if someone has a long gun "clearly they are going to murder some kids". Or at least that is the "thing" going on in the media.