• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why it's important to record police officers

since9

Campaign Veteran
This video is an outstanding example of why it's important to record police officers.

While the subject of this video is about a cop trying to profile a frisbee golfer as a pot-smoker, this could just as easily be a stop where firearms are involved.

The reason I'm posting this here is because the driver did such a good job of handling the cop. He was calm, cool, and collected, even while the cop kept trying to get his goat.

Excellent example. :)

countryclubjoe

LEO playing dumb word games.. Citizen was OK however, at some point he needed to simply remain silent.. and ask am I free to go...

Time is money,, the less time having a silly conversation with an idiot the better off a citizen will be..

My .02

CCJ

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
This video is an outstanding example of why it's important to record police officers.

While the subject of this video is about a cop trying to profile a frisbee golfer as a pot-smoker, this could just as easily be a stop where firearms are involved.

The reason I'm posting this here is because the driver did such a good job of handling the cop. He was calm, cool, and collected, even while the cop kept trying to get his goat.

Excellent example. :)

The best response I've heard in response to an officer trying to trap a citizen is, "I don't answer probative questions." This is effectively followed by "Am I free to go?" and, if necessary, "I do not consent to any searches or seizures of my person, papers or property." Otherwise, it's time to KYBMS!

JamesCanby

Activist Member
I don't think probative means what you think it does.

I was quoting the speaker in the video; however, based on the following:

Probative

Having the effect of proof, tending to prove, or actually proving.

When a legal controversy goes to trial, the parties seek to prove their cases by the introduction of evidence. All courts are governed by rules of evidence that describe what types of evidence are admissible. One key element for the admission of evidence is whether it proves or helps prove a fact or issue. If so, the evidence is deemed probative. Probative evidence establishes or contributes to proof.

Probative facts are data that have the effect of proving an issue or other information. Probative facts establish the existence of other facts. They are matters of evidence that make the existence of something more probable or less probable than it would be without them. They are admissible as evidence and aid the court in the final resolution of a disputed issue. For example, in the case of a motor vehicle accident, a witness's testimony that she saw one automobile enter the intersection on a red light is a probative fact about whether the driver was at fault.​

... it seems to me that an officer asking "probing" questions is seeking to establish "Probative facts [that] establish the existence of other facts" that would lead to other actions including search, seizure or arrest. I have no problem with using the word "probative," especially since it has a legalistic meaning and because the officer probably does not understand what the word is.

If you don't like the use of that word, feel free to use some other word.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
I doubt the officer understood what the word means, he was clearly being a buffoon.

Sorry, I was not clear in my statement -- I was referring to an entirely different video wherein the driver refused to answer any questions that didn't specifically relate to the reason why the officer stopped him.

Particularly useful, IMO, as an answer to questions such as:

Where are you coming from?
Where are you going?
Do you have anything illegal in your car?
Have you had anything to drink tonight?

davidmcbeth

Banned
The best response I've heard in response to an officer trying to trap a citizen is, "I don't answer probative questions." This is effectively followed by "Am I free to go?" and, if necessary, "I do not consent to any searches or seizures of my person, papers or property." Otherwise, it's time to KYBMS!

Such high praise ... thank you

since9

Campaign Veteran
Great counter question would be "Why is it that everybody that wears a badge is an @hole?"

Yeah, I'm *sure* that's a great counter question. I'll use it at parties. Maybe.

I'm more inclined to use the non-"probative" response, regardless of the misnomer. Something along the lines of, "Declined," as in "I decline to answer all questions and do not consent to any searches of my person, effects, vehicles, or home."

If they ask why, I'm inclined to respond with, "That's a question. Am I being detained? (pause) Since you're not detaining me, I'll be on my way."

Calm... Cool... Polite...

Rusty Young Man

Great counter question would be "Why is it that everybody that wears a badge is an @hole?"

:lol:
Sorry, your post made me LOL and almost cover myself in milk (finally having dinner).

As others have already noted, answering their questions can only get you in trouble. If you MUST say something, stick to repeating either "Am I free to go?" or the definition of the law (so that it will be recorded that the officer did not want to hear the law he was supposed to (allegedly) enforce.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sorry, I was not clear in my statement -- I was referring to an entirely different video wherein the driver refused to answer any questions that didn't specifically relate to the reason why the officer stopped him.

Particularly useful, IMO, as an answer to questions such as:

Where are you coming from?
Where are you going?
Do you have anything illegal in your car?
Have you had anything to drink tonight?

I was actually asked these questions in a traffic stop and refused to answer. When the trial came, I asked if the cop knew the information that he sought and he said no...and it actually impacted the outcome of the case.

So, you never know what answer to a query can hurt you down the road...refuse to answer is the best policy.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I was actually asked these questions in a traffic stop and refused to answer. When the trial came, I asked if the cop knew the information that he sought and he said no...and it actually impacted the outcome of the case.

So, you never know what answer to a query can hurt you down the road...refuse to answer is the best policy.

Excellent example.

stealthyeliminator

Anyone else make note of the location of this article? A tech website, nothing to do with police accountability. How big is our problem with this sort of police behavior that we now have police accountability content creeping into dedicated industry specific sites?

Maverick9

I don't follow this. It sounds like you left out a word or something.

What was the trial for? What did you ask the cop if he knew the answer(s) to 'Where are you going?', and how was he supposed to already know that?