• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

James Comey, the current Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation

since9

Campaign Veteran
Link.

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you James Comey, the current Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation:

"The notion that we would market devices that would allow someone to place themselves beyond the law, troubles me a lot. As a country, I don’t know why we would want to put people beyond the law. That is, sell cars with trunks that couldn't ever be opened by law enforcement with a court order, or sell an apartment that could never be entered even by law enforcement. Would you want to live in that neighborhood? This is a similar concern. The notion that people have devices, again, that with court orders, based on a showing of probable cause in a case involving kidnapping or child exploitation or terrorism, we could never open that phone? My sense is that we've gone too far when we've gone there."

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you our Fourth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America, also known as "the supreme Law of the Land" (Article VI):

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Director Comey: With all due respect, you and all other civil, military, and law-enforcement officers throughout the United States of America took an oath of office to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic."

You cite the Fourth Amendment in your response, Sir, yet fail to comprehend the nature of it, why it exists in the first place. It exists for our protection against tyranny, and not for your expediency. You present two scenarios highly unlikely for the average American to encounter, yet you expect all Americans to just roll over and play dead, giving up our Constitutional rights and freedoms on a scare tactic.

Is this the level to which the FBI has fallen? Employing elements of terror in order to extor behavior which you desire but which We the People and our Constitution find abhorrent?

And you really thought we'd fall for such terrorist tactics?