• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NAGR vs NRA -- Interesting Article Comparing the Two

Redbaron007

I believe the NAGR uses a marketing company to perform their email campaigning. It's possible, even likely, that the marketing company crafts the style and content of the messages, potentially with little oversight from NAGR, and probably with promises of a reaching a certain performance level.

I believe other pro-rights organizations use the same marketing company and have similar email campaigns, in some cases even signing the emails with the names of prominent politicians.

It's unfortunate that the hyper-aggressive and distasteful email campaign is being run and turning people off to the NAGR, but we need to remember that it's completely possible that some of these decisions are being made by non-technical people that just simply don't realize how distasteful these sort of email campaigns can be. I don't think it necessarily indicates that the NAGR is less legitimate of an organization.

Granted, I don't have a list of their merits handy, but I the point is that I can probably forgive them for hiring a marketing company to run an annoying email campaign.

If they can't control the content sent via email; then this speaks volumes for what they do...nothing. So far, I haven't seen/heard of anything they have done recently. It looks like their web site touts being a player in the Colorado recalls.....in 2013. Not sure what they have done recently. :eek:

bc.cruiser

Yeah, check this crap out...

You get this email "from" Ashley acting as though Dudley sent her an email asking about whether or not you've signed up yet - from his iPhone, no less. :rolleyes:

So yeah, it's pretty bad... But if it brings in the $$$$$$... then you can bet on them continuing it.

I'm pretty sure Ashley got a lot less amusement from my return email than I did from hers.

stealthyeliminator

Link.

Excerpt:

Budgets: Despite the much larger budget of the NRA, NAGR in 2013 started off the year by spending $1.9 million lobbying for gun rights, as compared to the $700,000 spent by the NRA, according to USA Today. By the end of 2013, NAGR spent $6.76 million to the NRA’s $3.41 million, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

It only gets more interesting from then on.

One commenter on a forum from 2008 makes up a substantial portion of the article. Maybe if we jabber enough here, they'll write another equally stupid article in 2020 and quote one of us.

stealthyeliminator

Yes, it is legit, but just like any public forum, even OCDO.com, there are a few idiots and several trolls. I have been a registered member at AR15.com for over 10 years. I post, occasionally, in the Ky. section using the screen name "softpoint". The members of the Ky. section are shooters, real shooters. Their focus is mainly on long guns, not openly carried handguns. Politics and legal issues are only discussed infrequently.

Good to know. If I ever get an AR I'll probably check it out :)

I know, I know, I don't have to have an AR to check it out...

since9

Campaign Veteran
Three Strikes and YOU'RE OUT, Dudley

I unsubscribed from Dudley's SPAM e-mails for the third time the other day. Guess what I received in my inbox today?

Yep. More spam.

So, in response to his either inability or unwillingness to honor a simple unsubscribe request, using the appropriate measure (see screen shot, below), I reported ALL the e-mails he sent me on Yahoo!'s spam list.

If you don't like this, tough ****. I hate spam, an dislike the idiots who shove it down other people's throats even less.

NAGR - NEVER Accepts.jpg

notalawyer

Is ar15.com even legit? Any time I've looked at it, I've seen a bunch of idiots.

Yeah. Just stay out of General Discussions. :shocker:

Now, their Night Vision forum (in the Armory section) is top notch, and with the recent events over at Sniper's Hide, ARFCOM has added a Precision Rifle forum. Time will tell if that works out or not.

I think folks there are about 60-40 against Open Carry. :uhoh:

blahpony

I unsubscribed from Dudley's SPAM e-mails for the third time the other day. Guess what I received in my inbox today?

Yep. More spam.

So, in response to his either inability or unwillingness to honor a simple unsubscribe request, using the appropriate measure (see screen shot, below), I reported ALL the e-mails he sent me on Yahoo!'s spam list.

If you don't like this, tough ****. I hate spam, an dislike the idiots who shove it down other people's throats even less.

View attachment 12199

I think the issue is that Dudley got your email but he has to forward it to Ashley. She'll take a look at it. She'll then ask Dudley about it in the next meeting. Then she will forward it to you asking if you meant it. Dudley will also email you to find out if you wanted to not know about the latest EMERGENCY! Then Ashley will email you about Dudley's concern that you want to leave. Dudley will then forward Ashley's email about Dudley's concern.

This may take some time and they will need funding for all this email. Please send $5.

stealthyeliminator

Yep. More spam.

View attachment 12199

I was able to unsubscribe successfully... I imagine there is probably a technical issue going on here. Maybe try unsubscribing from another machine/browser. Make sure you don't miss any submit or save buttons. Also remember that it typically takes a couple of days before the removal is processed -- if they have mail queued up or in the pipe, and you unsubscribe, it isn't necessarily going to be purged.

Edit: From your screenshot, are you filling out the form? You probably have to fill out the form so they know which person wants to be removed.

Last edited:

FTG-05

Is ar15.com even legit? Any time I've looked at it, I've seen a bunch of idiots.

It's probably far more "legit" than this place, and that includes the GD section, nothing gets by that place for breaking news. The tech forums are above reproach and literally world class in their own right.

Furthermore, read the +13 page thread in question: some very serious people actively involved in the CO pro-gun scene posted in that thread; read what they have to say about dudley-the-scammer. Also note that Dudley himself posted in that thread *attempting* to answer his detractors; he didn't take him long to de-ass the area due to several pointed questions. Then the question whether NAGR is a scam will be forever answered.

Yeah. Just stay out of General Discussions. :shocker:

Now, their Night Vision forum (in the Armory section) is top notch, and with the recent events over at Sniper's Hide, ARFCOM has added a Precision Rifle forum. Time will tell if that works out or not.

I think folks there are about 60-40 against Open Carry. :uhoh:

You wish. Arfcom OC Fudds make OCDO OC Fudds look *almost* reasonable. :banghead:

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I think the issue is that Dudley got your email but he has to forward it to Ashley. She'll take a look at it. She'll then ask Dudley about it in the next meeting. Then she will forward it to you asking if you meant it. Dudley will also email you to find out if you wanted to not know about the latest EMERGENCY! Then Ashley will email you about Dudley's concern that you want to leave. Dudley will then forward Ashley's email about Dudley's concern.

This may take some time and they will need funding for all this email. Please send $5.

I think you nailed it. I paid them the extra $5, and all they did was send me a screenshot of what you just posted... :eek:

Yes, I'm kidding. :lol:

I was able to unsubscribe successfully... I imagine there is probably a technical issue going on here. Maybe try unsubscribing from another machine/browser. Make sure you don't miss any submit or save buttons. Also remember that it typically takes a couple of days before the removal is processed -- if they have mail queued up or in the pipe, and you unsubscribe, it isn't necessarily going to be purged.

Edit: From your screenshot, are you filling out the form? You probably have to fill out the form so they know which person wants to be removed.

I did not take a screen shot of the filled-in form because this is the Internet, and one never reveals their true identity on public message forums, particularly one's full name and e-mail address. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

With help from the NAGR, Texas has a constitutional carry bill filed. HB 195.

Do you think if the NAGR wasn't around we'd have gotten that done with the help of the NRA? Pfftttt hahaha that's a laugh.

since9

Campaign Veteran
With help from the NAGR, Texas has a constitutional carry bill filed. HB 195.

Cool!

Do you think if the NAGR wasn't around we'd have gotten that done with the help of the NRA? Pfftttt hahaha that's a laugh.

You do realize the NRA, NAGR, GOA, and others have limited resources, right? When one group moves forward on an issue, the others are significantly more inclined to take a back seat and save their money, weighing in only on key tactical or strategic points.

Duplication of efforts gets expensive.

stealthyeliminator

Cool!

You do realize the NRA, NAGR, GOA, and others have limited resources, right? When one group moves forward on an issue, the others are significantly more inclined to take a back seat and save their money, weighing in only on key tactical or strategic points.

Duplication of efforts gets expensive.

I plainly asked if the NAGR was not here at all, would the NRA have taken up this task? "Duplication of efforts" has nothing to do with it.

Edit: All I'm doing is pointing out something positive they've done. That's all.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

I think you nailed it. I paid them the extra $5, and all they did was send me a screenshot of what you just posted... :eek:

Yes, I'm kidding. :lol:

I did not take a screen shot of the filled-in form because this is the Internet, and one never reveals their true identity on public message forums, particularly one's full name and e-mail address. :rolleyes:

Of course.. Why I would think otherwise, I have no clue. I can be a bit derpy at times. :lol: still, I was able to unsubscribe, I think you may be experiencing a glitch if it still doesn't work

lantraxco

Teehee /\ I know a law firm that still uses Word Perfect today. When I first saw it I was like... Wait... Word Perfect still exists?

This reminds me of back during the cold war when our military chrome domes were laughing, having received a nice Russian MIG and tore it apart. They made a point of showing how "crude and backward" the electronics were, almost all of them running on those "obsolete and unreliable vacuum tubes! hahahahaha!" After a short pause for laughter to die down, one "old engineer" quietly asked them if they had a clue which system, our transistor and integrated circuit stuff, or those "old fashioned" vacuum tubes would still be working after exposure to an EM pulse from a nuclear warhead going off within a few hundred miles......

WordPerfect was (is?) almost entirely keyboard based and after a horrible learning curve a good document clerk can easily turn out twice as many pages in a day as a GUI (mouse) based word processing program like WORD. Given that they charge by the page, and charge the attorney's hourly rate for the $15 an hour document clerk to grind the pages out, I think it's probably a VERY astute business decision to stay with that old "obsolete" system just as long as you can.

Not trying to be offensive, just trying to say that sometimes there are reasons for things we don't know yet :)