• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Academy Sports

KySIGGuy

I know that they are building one in the Middletown area of Louisville and I'm looking forward to seeing what they have. Has anyone ever been in one of their stores and know what they are like? I'm looking forward to seeing how they will compete with Dick's, Cabela's and even Bass Pro once they open.

Brian D.

I've stopped by the one in Lexington a few times. I'm sure they run some good specials, but every day prices don't seem like anything to get excited about.

On the other hand they have a large selection, for some folks that makes a good enough reason to choose a place.

KySIGGuy

I'll be glad to see the Middletown store open. I love Cabelas, but am not crazy about Dicks and Bass Pro Shop is too far. Another choice would be nice. Academy occasionally has good deals on ammo with free shipping.

I like Cabela's too. I like that it is close to my house. Granted, I have a Dick's that is much closer, but I typically don't go in there (I used to go there all the time when it was Galyan's). I like Bass Pro, but I only go there when I'm feeling frisky and pay a visit to Keisler's. Academy will be about the same distance from me that Cabela's is so I'll have to check it out to see where I'd rather spend my money.

Brian D.

Do you have an address for that store in Lexington? Academy's website does not list a store in Lexington, or anywhere else in KY. I have noticed that new store going up and am glad to see it. I have never been in an Academy store, unlike you. I have ordered from their website several times. They did not charge me KY sales tax, which is required for any business with a physical presence in the state, but that could have been before the Lex. store opened. I'll be glad to see the Middletown store open. I love Cabelas, but am not crazy about Dicks and Bass Pro Shop is too far. Another choice would be nice. Academy occasionally has good deals on ammo with free shipping.

Let me double check, gutshot, maybe that wasn't an Academy Sports after all. So many big box outdoors places popping up the last few years, maybe I got them mixed up. Sorry for creating confusion if I was in error.

Yep, my bad, it was a Sportsman's Warehouse there in Lexington. Oops, my apologies. Only Academy Sports I've been to was in Chattanooga, Tn. But my take on both chains is about the same: Watch for specials and shop wisely. One visit to Academy yielded 9mm ammo at a great price, but only because (I found out at the register) they'd mis-tagged it. They did make good on my purchase however, while an assistant manager ran back there to fix the mistake.

To date I've found nothing worthwhile to buy at Sportsman's, but again I don't get there much since it's about 100 miles away.

Last edited:

ps1mhd

Do you have an address for that store in Lexington? Academy's website does not list a store in Lexington, or anywhere else in KY.

I was just in Owensboro this pass weekend and there is one there just off 60 exit 18.
Did not stop. It may not be open yet, looked new.

Mike D

bunnspecial

To date I've found nothing worthwhile to buy at Sportsman's, but again I don't get there much since it's about 100 miles away.

I didn't have much use for Sportsman's until I got into reloading...then I started to appreciate it a lot more. If you reload, they generally have a pretty good component selection at decent-but not great-prices. They're also the only store in the area I'm aware of that regularly stocks Vihtavouhri powders(Reloaders Supply has them occasionally, but not as often as Sportsman's).

Sportsman's tends to also stock a lot of oddball brass in my experience, and have a good selection of Speer, Hornady, and Sierra bullets.

Last edited:

ps1mhd

I didn't have much use for Sportsman's until I got into reloading...then I started to appreciate it a lot more. If you reload, they generally have a pretty good component selection at decent-but not great-prices. They're also the only store in the area I'm aware of that regularly stocks Vihtavouhri powders(Reloaders Supply has them occasionally, but not as often as Sportsman's).

Sportsman's tends to also stock a lot of oddball brass in my experience, and have a good selection of Speer, Hornady, and Sierra bullets.

Where is Sportsman's and do they have a web site?

Mike

KySIGGuy

I was by there today and saw a sign that says, " OPENING NOVEMBER 21"

I am looking forward to visiting them and maybe do a little OCing with my SIG. I definitely won't go opening day because I'm sure it will be a zoo in there. I'll give them a week or so and then visit.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
We have an Academy local. Good selection, fair pricing. Have shooting stuff (as well as other sports apparrel and equipment) I could only find online like shooting/tac gloves so it's nice to see and try on before buying.