Thread: Judge Donald Stephens upholds concealed-gun ban at NC State Fair.

Judge Donald Stephens upholds concealed-gun ban at NC State Fair.

He not only disagreed but called the law a “quagmire” and signaled that he was inclined to rule against the gun rights activists in the full lawsuit. “I do have great respect for the constitutional right of citizens to possess and bear arms,” Stephens said. “But I do believe it would be unwise and imprudent for firearms to be carried into the State Fair, and if there is some way I can interpret these statutes to prohibit that, I will.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/...tand.html?rh=1

In spite of the clear legislative intent.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Nice that he makes his own policy ... commie.

As I said before, do not look to the courts to defend YOUR RKBA .. only you can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    He not only disagreed but called the law a “quagmire” and signaled that he was inclined to rule against the gun rights activists in the full lawsuit. “I do have great respect for the constitutional right of citizens to possess and bear arms,” Stephens said. “But I do believe it would be unwise and imprudent for firearms to be carried into the State Fair, and if there is some way I can interpret these statutes to prohibit that, I will.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/...tand.html?rh=1...
    I wish GRNC Godspeed with their legal action - like an appeal while the lower court case is ongoing, and/or a change of judges.

Prejudgement, anyone?

Very Disappointed

This decision is extremely disappointing. What is the next step for GRNC? Obviously, they can appeal. But, who hears the appeal? Also, can the NC Legislature rewrite the statute to make it even clearer?

This is the problem with privileges by legislation. Not only can it be taken away by the same people who gave, it end up going through the same hoops and challenges as if we took it to the courts in the first place. Most of our OC rights in NC came from court rulings, the major one Kern V State. But there is no money in fighting for rights there is in fighting for privileges.

IMO the major fight in this struggle should be the right for every responsible adult to own and carry a firearm almost everywhere. Not just NC but the whole country and territories. What is clear is most politicians are anti liberty, even conservative politicians. It is also clear that many of those supposedly trying to fight for rights are just building their bank account.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

THIS is what happens when you expect government to protect you from government.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    THIS is what happens when you expect government to protect you from government.
    True, very true. But unless there is another revolution, we are stuck with the government we have. And even if we had one, we might lose liberties in the process.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    “It is certainly NOT clear what the legislature had in mind,” Stephens said. “I’m sorry, sir. I mean, obviously the Commissioner of Agriculture had no idea what that legislature had in mind or I suspect he would have been down there voicing his concern. I believe the governor had no idea what the legislature had in mind or he’d probably have been voicing his concern. But they weren’t, and they didn’t.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/...#storylink=cpy

Or it sounds like this guy did not care when it was being debated ...duh.

Hey, just like judges in my home state....I simply ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    “It is certainly NOT clear what the legislature had in mind,” Stephens said. “I’m sorry, sir. I mean, obviously the Commissioner of Agriculture had no idea what that legislature had in mind or I suspect he would have been down there voicing his concern. I believe the governor had no idea what the legislature had in mind or he’d probably have been voicing his concern. But they weren’t, and they didn’t.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/...#storylink=cpy

Or it sounds like this guy did not care when it was being debated ...duh.

Hey, just like judges in my home state....I simply ignore them.
    That only works until you are arrested, prosecuted, and then jailed. Of course you can brag to the other inmates that you simply ignore them. Our system is what it is, it has many flaws, but if you think you can just ignore and thumb your nose you are in for a rude awakening.

I seem to remember some guy in Mo that thought like you and he got some extra holes in him for it. Plus went to jail.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-14-2014 at 05:04 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/...tand.html?rh=1

In spite of the clear legislative intent.
    "I support the 2nd amendment but...."

"I support OC, but...."

Sound familiar?

He is a judge, a government judge. What did we expect? We're about to make some bad case law in Florida because we underestimate the treachery of the kourts. The law has to very egregious for a kourt to give you even a little push in the right direction, as in Illinois.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

This is indeed very disappointing. There were no firearms allowed at the VA State Fair either, but there also weren't any metal detectors or pat downs.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

True, very true. But unless there is another revolution, we are stuck with the government we have. And even if we had one, we might lose liberties in the process.
    Jury nullification!!! Jurors need to refuse to enforce unjust/unconstitutional laws, yea a little revolution but a good start.

Also, I vote not to retain judges unless I know there is a good reason not to. The bastards need to know their job is not secure, judges need to be changed just like diapers, and for the same reason.

Banned
    That only works until you are arrested, prosecuted, and then jailed. Of course you can brag to the other inmates that you simply ignore them. Our system is what it is, it has many flaws, but if you think you can just ignore and thumb your nose you are in for a rude awakening.

I seem to remember some guy in Mo that thought like you and he got some extra holes in him for it. Plus went to jail.
    Arrest is the first step; yet no cop has ever been willing to jump that hurdle with me yet ... why? Because they want to go home and fighting for an unjust cause? Not worth the reward.

I do ignore and thumb my nose regarding many unconstitutional laws ... after courts like the one in this thread what is your action plan? File and appeal to a similar minded court?

You can follow unconstitutional laws if you like, its a free country. (or is it?)

I'll be at my capitol bldg tomorrow .. again chewing the gestapo out for their checkpoints ... they won't like it but what they gonna do about it? Nothing. As before. And then I sneak in (easily done) .. and meet them on their side of the checkpoint - see the looks in their eyes lol. They do nothing. They can only do something if I allow them to...

Everyone has their own method.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Jury nullification!!! Jurors need to refuse to enforce unjust/unconstitutional laws, yea a little revolution but a good start.

Also, I vote not to retain judges unless I know there is a good reason not to. The bastards need to know their job is not secure, judges need to be changed just like diapers, and for the same reason.
    Need to do MORE .. use jury nullification to force repealing unjust laws ... so refuse to find anyone guilty not only of those unjust laws but all laws until the unjust ones are repealed. This will have better effect.

Arrest is the first step; yet no cop has ever been willing to jump that hurdle with me yet ... why? Because they want to go home and fighting for an unjust cause? Not worth the reward.

I do ignore and thumb my nose regarding many unconstitutional laws ... after courts like the one in this thread what is your action plan? File and appeal to a similar minded court?

You can follow unconstitutional laws if you like, its a free country. (or is it?)

I'll be at my capitol bldg tomorrow .. again chewing the gestapo out for their checkpoints ... they won't like it but what they gonna do about it? Nothing. As before. And then I sneak in (easily done) .. and meet them on their side of the checkpoint - see the looks in their eyes lol. They do nothing. They can only do something if I allow them to...

Everyone has their own method.
    Where will the services be held so I can send flowers...
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    Where will the services be held so I can send flowers...
    I'm assuming that they use a cruise missile .. nothing will be left. You can make donations to the Human Fund in lieu of flowers.

Man, I did not have time today to harass the guys at the capitol bldg ... I had 7 filings to address and 3 process services to perform.

Busy morning and afternoon. I was wearing my steal toe boots today ... stopped at court house metal detector. Said I had to put boots on the package scanner belt. I called them gestapo..they took it well (not like last time that almost got into a fist fight~I called them SS last time, maybe that's why or they are getting used to me).

When I served papers this morning at a state building a security guard demanded ID ... I just laughed at him. He got really mad. I asked him if I needed to carry papers. He got even madder. I just laughed and left...him yelling "read the sign! read the sign!" as I was going out the door. He had someone follow me..I told him I would kick his butt if he continued..he said, "hey look, I was in the Navy" ... almost started a fight right then. He scampered back int the bldg.

My second service was a pleasant experience, very nice lady attny ... thanked me for serving her personally. No search encountered in that process service....different location of another state building.

They ALL cower in the face of a citizen who seems willing to fight when the citizen in in the right. Anyone else has this experience? I always complain about any detainment or any search (lawful or not)....I complain a lot. I'm a complainer!

Busy morning and afternoon. I was wearing my steel toe boots today ... stopped at court house metal detector. Said I had to put boots on the package scanner belt. I called them gestapo..they took it well (not like last time that almost got into a fist fight~I called them SS last time, maybe that's why or they are getting used to me).
    So, did you leave? take off your boots? go on through?

When I served papers this morning at a state building a security guard demanded ID ... I just laughed at him. He got really mad. I asked him if I needed to carry papers. He got even madder. I just laughed and left...him yelling "read the sign! read the sign!" as I was going out the door. He had someone follow me..I told him I would kick his butt if he continued..he said, "hey look, I was in the Navy" ... almost started a fight right then. He scampered back int the bldg.
    Was this on the way in, or out?