Thread: Open Carry in Columbus

Open Carry in Columbus

Greetings,
    I am a new member here, but not to carrying or shooting. I'm from Columbus, but have lived in Tucson Az. for twenty five years. Open carry is not a big deal here, but I was wondering about in Columbus.
    I know that it's legal, but am concerned that it will still cause a problem when I visit.
    Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

C.J. Roberts

I lived in Columbus for 2 years and regularly visit now. I've never had a problem and I open carry 90% of the time.

Welcome to Ohio. Most of the state is pretty good-to-go with open carry, but many here would still advise you to carry a recording device just in case. MUCH time and effort has been spent by gun-rights groups to educate law enforcement on this matter, but it just doesn't always sink in, so it seems.

These days most such (negative) encounters seem to be in the NE part of Ohio, for what it's worth. And, we never stop working on the problem, along with improving firearms freedom in general.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    I don't know why anyone would want to visit the State Capitol, but if you do, contrary to Capitol rules you are legally allowed to open carry on Capitol grounds.

http://www.ohiostatehouse.org/about/csrab/rules

128-4-02 Capitol buildings or grounds use: general rules and requirement of a permit.
    (G) Any individual or group present in or on the capitol buildings or grounds, whether or not a permit holder, must abide by the following regulations for use. In addition to the following regulations for use, the board reserves the right to regulate any conduct or activity not appropriate or consistent with the use of the capitol buildings or grounds as described in this regulation, or that may cause damage to state property or pose a hazard to any member of the public or state employee.
    (10) Weapons - with the exception of those carried by peace officers in the course of their duties and as expressly authorized under section 105.41(N) of the Revised Code, firearms or other weapons, concealed or otherwise, are prohibited within the capitol buildings and grounds without the express written permission of the board.
    The prohibition on the grounds is contrary to law and cannot be enforced.

Just tell them, if you are questioned about open carrying on the grounds, that you have it on good authority that the rule is in violation of Ohio law.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    I don't know why anyone would want to visit the State Capitol, but if you do, contrary to Capitol rules you are legally allowed to open carry on Capitol grounds.

http://www.ohiostatehouse.org/about/csrab/rules

128-4-02 Capitol buildings or grounds use: general rules and requirement of a permit.

The prohibition on the grounds is contrary to law and cannot be enforced.

Just tell them, if you are questioned about open carrying on the grounds, that you have it on good authority that the rule is in violation of Ohio law.
    I never said anything about the Capitol, just the city itself.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J. Roberts View Post
    I never said anything about the Capitol, just the city itself.
    With all due respect, I never said you did.

Founder's Club Member
    I recognize I'm a little late to the game here, but I visit family up in the Columbus area from time to time and have never had the first issue open carrying. When visiting Ohio I let open carry be my default state, due to the screwy restrictions on concealed carry. Know the laws, carry a recorder like suggested and all should be well.