• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The MURDER of Timothy Mitchell

The Truth

Well I'm sold! The chief says it's justified...call off the investigation and close the thread!

:lol:

Maverick9

If I know my local PEACE officer and know he/she to be of good character, then yes I would help.

You'd be taking a considerable risk. If another cop drives up and sees you and another guy in a scuffle, he won't know if you're trying to help. Good chance of getting shot yourself. Oopsie.

FreeInAZ

You'd be taking a considerable risk. If another cop drives up and sees you and another guy in a scuffle, he won't know if you're trying to help. Good chance of getting shot yourself. Oopsie.

Yep, there is a risk, but that's the case with everything in life. To me it's worth the risk to aid someone I know to be a asset to the community. If possible, I'd be on the line with 911 telling them exactly what I look like and who the back up should avoid turning into Swiss cheese. You are correct though, it is a risky move.

sudden valley gunner

Did he have a taser? I asked this question at the start. If he did then I agree (as I also previously said) it may have been excessive. If he did NOT and his only choices were either go hands on and HOPE he doesn't get knocked out and killed with his own gun or HOPE the guy doesn't have any weapons on him or draw firearm and give verbal commands... Which do you think you would do?

Also, again I'll refer to and ask, what happened PRIOR to this incident. Why was he being chased? There is a thing called totality of circumstances. At this time we have very little of the circumstances. Which is clearly the goal of the thread. Show the few minute video of an incident that could have taken a half hour from initial contact to chase to crash to engagement.

Business as usual for some.

What happened prior is irrelevant, your job is to hold your emotions in check on not be judge and jury and executioner.

The Truth

These are relevant here too.

Mike Brown

this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY5Z_OFn5hs

this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AG_-EXd9Es

this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0rf2OIOxLw

this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YlepdVfiZo

this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ins9VAo-xLY

this guy, holding a baby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMDIK4bOpwk

this guy, watering his neighbor's lawn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6S7LRrCru8

Only took me about 5 minutes to find these 7 links on YouTube. It's that easy to find this fascist garbage.

WalkingWolf

What happened prior is irrelevant, your job is to hold your emotions in check on not be judge and jury and executioner.

I agree, but my perception is that the police officer was indeed in danger, and not only hesitated before firing he retreated several steps.

As you have seen I don't take a anti or pro cop view, but a pro common sense view. I disagree with Primus reasons for calling it justified.

sudden valley gunner

I agree, but my perception is that the police officer was indeed in danger, and not only hesitated before firing he retreated several steps.

As you have seen I don't take a anti or pro cop view, but a pro common sense view. I disagree with Primus reasons for calling it justified.

I agree was being specific about Primus's reasoning.

I don't have enough info to judge this incident.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

I'm inclined to agree, which is why in this case my emphasis is on better training and tactics.

He was in danger, but it didn't rise to the level of imminent lethality (at least, not without his own gun being drawn and deployed). A taser would be more than adequate enough of the time that I'm comfortable saying cops who don't like the risk should quit.

Incidentally, whether or not he had a taser is irrelevant to my concern because I'm not advocating criminal charges (based solely on what I saw), and if he didn't have one then I'm advocating he be provided one and trained to use it most of the time he would otherwise deploy his firearm.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Forgive me I misread you post.....I've corrected mine reply below.

You continue to advance towards me while I have a gun drawn on you, I'll will likely map dump into you.

Is that better?

If I upholster a handgun .. its not for show or to threaten .. its to shoot; I have already made that decision.

Any time anyone pulls a gun out, its to shoot.

Not justified in the OP's posted incident.

Primus

I'm inclined to agree, which is why in this case my emphasis is on better training and tactics.

He was in danger, but it didn't rise to the level of imminent lethality (at least, not without his own gun being drawn and deployed). A taser would be more than adequate enough of the time that I'm comfortable saying cops who don't like the risk should quit.

Incidentally, whether or not he had a taser is irrelevant to my concern because I'm not advocating criminal charges (based solely on what I saw), and if he didn't have one then I'm advocating he be provided one and trained to use it most of the time he would otherwise deploy his firearm.
Best post I've read so far. +1

Firearms Iinstuctor

If I upholster a handgun .. its not for show or to threaten .. its to shoot; I have already made that decision.

Any time anyone pulls a gun out, its to shoot.

Not justified in the OP's posted incident.

No defensive display is a valid use of a firearm if one can defuse or stop the attack with out firing a shot so much the better.

LEOs use defensive display to get people to comply or not to carry through with their desires to attack them.

Many criminals have surrendered to Law enforcement when face with the possibility of being shot.

Having the mind set I well shoot each and every time I pull my gun is asking to shoot some one who doesn't need to be.

The decision and need to shoot can change during the time it takes to draw your weapon.

I can relate several times when the actions requiring one to draw their weapon stopped during the draw.

Even warning shot or shots can be warranted as seen in the below newly posted thread.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ence-reports&p=2104186&viewfull=1#post2104186

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Your links broken.

And why only 3 minutes of video? What happened prior to the shooting? Why was this dude walking toward the officer? To shake his hand?

Why were the cops chasing him?

PS. Every time someone is killed by another its MURDER. Difference is whether or not its "justified" as in say self defence. So why your title is meant be sensational. Its really just stupid.
The correct terminology is homicide. Homicide is called murder, if it's determined to that it wasn't justified. If it was justified, then it's called, "justifiable homicide." :)

The Truth

The correct terminology is homicide. Homicide is called murder, if it's determined to that it wasn't justified. If it was justified, then it's called, "justifiable homicide." :)

His comment was just trying to be sensational, and instead came off as stupid. :rolleyes: