• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The MURDER of Timothy Mitchell

FreeInAZ

Primus... Likes to play games here, using typical ****-blossom 101 tactics he learned over on the CopOne forum. The video posted highlights what many here have come to understand & what many in public are also learning: when one sees a LEO & another person struggling it is difficult to judge who the worst criminal may really be?

If I know my local PEACE officer and know he/she to be of good character, then yes I would help. Otherwise...... This is why good officers (yes there maybe still be some) need to stop shielding the dirt bags in their ranks. If not because of their oaths, for self preservation. A time may be not be too far off when their silk thin blue strand will be snapped and the only people who can save their bacon are those law abiding citizens that some of "them" get such a chuckle out of today. No fixing stupid, and sadly lots of LEA's are filled to the brim with it! :(

Rusty Young Man

If this officer felt threatened, why not wait at a distance INSIDE THE CAR? Why place yourself closer to the "threat"?

SNIP...What if police officers did as they publicly claim to? What if police officers just behaved in general?

Fixed it for you.
Just like you can't bait an honourable man into committing an egregious crime against his fellow man, you can't bait an honourable police officer into abusing his authority.

In this case, I think it can be said that the LEO involved seemed to be waiting for an excuse to shoot, else he could have remained at a distance, in his car, while keeping his eyes on Mitchell and waiting for backup to arrive.

Maybe. I know if I saw a cop in a fight, I would stop and think before I even considered intervening. What if the cop is aggressively arresting someone for a non-crime? Then the cop deserves to lose the fight and his victim deserves to escape. What if the cop decides to arrest me after the fact for showing him up? Happened before.

With decades of senseless prohibition having brought respect for the law to epic lows, and police abuse running rampant, I'm fairly certain that any rational adult would sit where I do.

As it stands I tell people, "when I see someone pulled over by a cop, I instinctively pity the person because, simply as a matter of statistical probability, he's likely in the process of being victimized." More often than not folks agree with me.

None of this applies to non-cops.

+1
I like to point this out every time someone tells me about how they just saw a news story about an officer who "died in the line of duty"; I remind them of the most recent, high-profile case of an LEA saying its officers "reacted accordingly" while beating an individual senseless/to death, and say "maybe the cop was a thug who died because the victim was able to defend themselves."

Last edited:

The Truth

Whether a person is turning their life around does not mean squat. I am surprised that a claimed police officer would not understand that force is either justified or not justified. This case IMO is clearly justified, because of evidence provided in the video. TM was justified because the young man was beating another man to death, MB IMO was not justified, nothing justifies killing a man with his hands raised.

The problem I have is people who are so ignorant they cannot use common sense to see past their bias. A police officer who does not understand the use of force, and actually thinks some people deserve to die based on their personality do not belong behind a badge, or a gun.

+1

At least you convey your opinion on this shooting in a way that I can respect, even if I disagree.

Meanwhile, if someone flinches in the general direction of a cop it's a justified shoot to Trollmus...I mean Primus. I explain how easy it can be to take very accurate and thus very few shots at a perp at 35 feet, which is much further than the "21 foot rule," but apparently the whole point of that post was totally over Primus's head. Nah, he'd rather condescend and thumb his nose at the notion that a well trained cop is a better, safer cop. And yes, I can judge your character and your level of personal responsibility and accountability by your condescension in this case, because your condescension does not originate from logic or a more enlightened perspective - it originates from the utter contempt you feel for people who make mistakes or who disobey authority - and you believe they should pay with their lives. That's f#$%ed.

The use of force can't be "maybe excessive." It is or it isn't. If you can't answer in the negative then it is apparent that you agree that the force used was excessive, therefore you have no argument whatsoever and all this other drivel is pointless. But you guys don't need me to tell you that...

marshaul said:
Exactly why the police need to be trained in better tactics, unless you think people deserve to be killed for making poor decisions.

As it stands, police are trained to point guns at drunk people, which means when the drunk people do dumb things the cops are basically forced to shoot them.

So, yeah, police need to man up and accept some risk. They ought to be trained to point, if they really feel it's necessary, nothing more than a taser at a drunk guy (unless he's demonstrated more serious force).

What I would do is irrelevant, because I didn't choose to be a cop. Seriously. If someone doesn't like it, then they, too, should choose not to be a cop.

If all we're gonna do is shoot "druggies" the first time they do something dumb, what the hell do we need cops for? Any Joe Blow with a handgun could do that, if that was what we as a society really wanted. Except for one thing: it isn't.

+100 This is the point that some people, mostly statists or current LEOs, do not understand.

firearms instructor said:
Would you please inform us how many drunks that wanted to attack you that you have or tried to take into custody.

Where did you get all this experience in handling them.

With you being a subject matter expert on it.

There is large amount of money to be made teaching LEOs how to do this each and every time with out hurting any body.

We all know drunks, druggies and crazy people all make good and wonderful rational decisions when they come into contact with others.

I have many many years' experience dealing with drunks and "policing them." I've never been in LE, but that isn't a requirement for dealing with people in a peaceful yet assertive and authoritative way. I'd rather not go into personal details like my profession, but I assure you, physical aggression is not necessary most of the time. No one is arguing the rationality of an intoxicated person's mind.

The cops that perpetrate bad shoots or excessive force upon unarmed victims are scared BETA HUMANS. They and people like them will never understand a different perspective because they just aren't wired that way. They don't get it so they argue their perspective as if a true alpha male is really going to accept BETA behavior as acceptable, and it just ain't gonna happen. But it falls on deaf ears...

Last edited:

Primus

Primus... Likes to play games here, using typical ****-blossom 101 tactics he learned over on the CopOne forum. The video posted highlights what many here have come to understand & what many in public are also learning: when one sees a LEO & another person struggling it is difficult to judge who the worst criminal may really be?

If I know my local PEACE officer and know he/she to be of good character, then yes I would help. Otherwise...... This is why good officers (yes there maybe still be some) need to stop shielding the dirt bags in their ranks. If not because of their oaths, for self preservation. A time may be not be too far off when their silk thin blue strand will be snapped and the only people who can save their bacon are those law abiding citizens that some of "them" get such a chuckle out of today. No fixing stupid, and sadly lots of LEA's are filled to the brim with it! :(
I still love you cupcake :eek::p

Primus

If this officer felt threatened, why not wait at a distance INSIDE THE CAR? Why place yourself closer to the "threat"?

Fixed it for you.
Just like you can't bait an honourable man into committing an egregious crime against his fellow man, you can't bait an honourable police officer into abusing his authority.

In this case, I think it can be said that the LEO involved seemed to be waiting for an excuse to shoot, else he could have remained at a distance, in his car, while keeping his eyes on Mitchell and waiting for backup to arrive.

+1
I like to point this out every time someone tells me about how they just saw a news story about an officer who "died in the line of duty"; I remind them of the most recent, high-profile case of an LEA saying its officers "reacted accordingly" while beating an individual senseless/to death, and say "maybe the cop was a thug who died because the victim was able to defend themselves."
I already explained why you don't wait in car. Bullets go through. Windows get smashed (by hands or other weapons) and then you get attacked.

You need to be out and CREATE space.

Primus

+1

At least you convey your opinion on this shooting in a way that I can respect, even if I disagree.

Meanwhile, if someone flinches in the general direction of a cop it's a justified shoot to Trollmus...I mean Primus. I explain how easy it can be to take very accurate and thus very few shots at a perp at 35 feet, which is much further than the "21 foot rule," but apparently the whole point of that post was totally over Primus's head. Nah, he'd rather condescend and thumb his nose at the notion that a well trained cop is a better, safer cop. And yes, I can judge your character and your level of personal responsibility and accountability by your condescension in this case, because your condescension does not originate from logic or a more enlightened perspective - it originates from the utter contempt you feel for people who make mistakes or who disobey authority - and you believe they should pay with their lives. That's f#$%ed.

The use of force can't be "maybe excessive." It is or it isn't. If you can't answer in the negative then it is apparent that you agree that the force used was excessive, therefore you have no argument whatsoever and all this other drivel is pointless. But you guys don't need me to tell you that...

+100 This is the point that some people, mostly statists or current LEOs, do not understand.

I have many many years' experience dealing with drunks and "policing them." I've never been in LE, but that isn't a requirement for dealing with people in a peaceful yet assertive and authoritative way. I'd rather not go into personal details like my profession, but I assure you, physical aggression is not necessary most of the time. No one is arguing the rationality of an intoxicated person's mind.

The cops that perpetrate bad shoots or excessive force upon unarmed victims are scared BETA HUMANS. They and people like them will never understand a different perspective because they just aren't wired that way. They don't get it so they argue their perspective as if a true alpha male is really going to accept BETA behavior as acceptable, and it just ain't gonna happen. But it falls on deaf ears...
Your still upset I called you out on your operator status? My bad brother I didn't mean to divulge to everyone you were Delta and were training for hostage retrieval.

I'm just so jealous your such a bada** shot. I mean who hits all 41 shots on a piece of paper?? That's like... Incredible. Can I take a lesson with you? Oh and can i take a lesson on dealing with drunks too? Let me know where I sign up I've always wanted to be trained by Delta. :D:p

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have many decades of dealing with intoxicated people a large percentage of time one can get the job done with the minimum amount of force.

There is some difference in the situation and contexts of what one is trying to get them to do.

Arresting them for a crime is different then just asking then to leave a place they shouldn't be.

Confronting them after they have beaten up the spouse is a bit different also.

Having them decide for ever reason they are not going to do what ever you need them do to is another.

Having had many other occupations call the police when they have a intoxicated person they can't handle by their normal I'll ask you nicely doesn't work. (ERs, Detox, halfway houses, bouncers at bars, security guards)

Do and have call the police when they have someone they can't handle or don't want to.

Having the authority to arrest and take some one to jail brings a whole different dynamics to the situation then other occupations.

Some times for the better, some time it brings out the worse.

Each and every situation and person is a bit different.

What works for one might not work with another.

For those of you who have the answers that how the police should have handled a given situation maybe you should try it for awhile.

The Law enforcement profession is always looking for better ways and if you have some there is money to be made.

Feel free to market them and show the better way.

Plan B

Banned
I already explained why you don't wait in car. Bullets go through. Windows get smashed (by hands or other weapons) and then you get attacked.

You need to be out and CREATE space.

I can't believe you had to take the time to explain this most basic point on this forum especially. SMH...

OC for ME

Saw a couple of cops pound a belligerent drunk who took exception the cops telling him to dump his beer before he left the beer tent area. The nitwit took the first swings, big dude, and nobody got shot...how can this be?

Primus

Saw a couple of cops pound a belligerent drunk who took exception the cops telling him to dump his beer before he left the beer tent area. The nitwit took the first swings, big dude, and nobody got shot...how can this be?
I saw a cat play a piano once. How is not every cat can play on every piano at all times?

I challenge on relevance....

Was this guy in a beer tent? No.
Was the ONLY offense "taking exception"? No.
Also, this cop was alone, unlike your story.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I saw cops arrest hundreds of drunks who took exception to want they were being told big dudes, little dudes ,girls women and teen agers. None of them got shot how can that be.

Also saw cops but drunks into the hospital because they took violent exception to what they were told.

Also saw cops shoot and kill people.

Using one incident to form one opinion is not always the best.

OC for ME

I saw a cat play a piano once. How is not every cat can play on every piano at all times?

I challenge on relevance....

Was this guy in a beer tent? No.
Was the ONLY offense "taking exception"? No.
Also, this cop was alone, unlike your story.
Not every cat is trained to play the piano. Every cop is trained to do something. Unfortunately more cops are resorting to their firearms training rather than other training.

You being a cop, I understand how you typically miss this crucial point.

Primus

Not every cat is trained to play the piano. Every cop is trained to do something. Unfortunately more cops are resorting to their firearms training rather than other training.

You being a cop, I understand how you typically miss this crucial point.
Why focus on the cat and not relevance?

Primus

You brought up piano playing cats, not me.

The op shows a cop resorting to his firearms training. Right or wrong is a moot point, at this time there was no crime committed.
Did he have a taser? I asked this question at the start. If he did then I agree (as I also previously said) it may have been excessive. If he did NOT and his only choices were either go hands on and HOPE he doesn't get knocked out and killed with his own gun or HOPE the guy doesn't have any weapons on him or draw firearm and give verbal commands... Which do you think you would do?

Also, again I'll refer to and ask, what happened PRIOR to this incident. Why was he being chased? There is a thing called totality of circumstances. At this time we have very little of the circumstances. Which is clearly the goal of the thread. Show the few minute video of an incident that could have taken a half hour from initial contact to chase to crash to engagement.

Business as usual for some.

twoskinsonemanns

A real stretch to call a cop "good" if he shield's dirt bags.

FreeInAZ

No. They'll work the way their employers demand, or they can seek other employment.

Absolutely! We need to demand that OUR police act in the manner we as citizens hired them for! That was to maintain the peace and uphold the laws in that order. Not become the SS. Your papers now! Hut hut hut hut! "Bring in the Tank. We got a jay-walker ha ha ha ha maniacal laugh..."
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R6MlHxAzLXA

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Atks5rRqQkg[/video]

Last edited: