• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying Used Shotguns - Is This Good Advice?

since9

Campaign Veteran
14 Tips for Buying Used Shotguns

What do you think, folks? Is this good advice?

I've fired perhaps five different shotguns on as many different occasions, for a total of maybe 100 rounds. A single barrel/shot, a side-by-side, and some pumps. I've never broken one down, so I don't know what to look for.

Anything you might add?

OC for ME

14 Tips for Buying Used Shotguns

What do you think, folks? Is this good advice?

I've fired perhaps five different shotguns on as many different occasions, for a total of maybe 100 rounds. A single barrel/shot, a side-by-side, and some pumps. I've never broken one down, so I don't know what to look for.

Anything you might add?
Won't disagree with any of the 14 items. I do a bunch of duck hunting and use pumps, O/Us, and semis. Though, it may be difficult to have the seller do all that "taking apart to check stuff" if you have a concern. Especially for semis. The cleaning part is a must, if the gun is not clean, walk-away, I do. Good link, thanks. Some of my best shotguns are hand me downs, some more than forty years old. Like any other gun, the care taken to maintain the gun today will keep that gun in your collection for generations to come.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Won't disagree with any of the 14 items. I do a bunch of duck hunting and use pumps, O/Us, and semis. Though, it may be difficult to have the seller do all that "taking apart to check stuff" if you have a concern. Especially for semis. The cleaning part is a must, if the gun is not clean, walk-away, I do. Good link, thanks. Some of my best shotguns are hand me downs, some more than forty years old. Like any other gun, the care taken to maintain the gun today will keep that gun in your collection for generations to come.

I have gotten some great deals on guns because they were dirty and they were being sold because they didn't "work".

Dirty and damaged are not the same thing.

OC for ME

I have gotten some great deals on guns because they were dirty and they were being sold because they didn't "work".

Dirty and damaged are not the same thing.
True. But dirt can hide damage or excessive wear. the low price of a used shot can be offset by the cost of repairs to return it to good working order. I'm no gunsmith and they don't work for the cost of parts only...at least not the gun smiths I do business with.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I see no problems with a used gun ... require a visit to a range before purchase...with a used gun there can be no complaining about that.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
A great deal of people will purchase a weapon, put it in the closet and forget it until they get short of cash. Then it gets sold. I have lots, and lots of "used" weapons on my "bought/traded" list. If it is clean, maintained, and passes a good function check, it's mine.

The Truth

I've been fortunate enough to buy all my guns brand new...

Are you buying them to resell for profit or what? Just curious.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I've been fortunate enough to buy all my guns brand new...

Are you buying them to resell for profit or what? Just curious.

I've been fortunate to buy a large percentage of my guns on the free open used market.

I buy guns to use and enjoy over the last 45 years I think I sold 5 most likely should not have sold them.

Buying used guns is a very good way to stretch ones gun budget having brought dozens of used guns one can often pick them up for 50% of a new one.

All guns once they are sold at retail once are used. (some can be little used others a lot)

The last few years has been tough just like the new gun market good deals are hard to find.

But then used guns don't scare me I have been doing minor gun smithing for decades have armorer certificates from four major manufactures.

Last edited:

The Truth

I've been fortunate to buy a large percentage of my guns on the free open used market.

I buy guns to use and enjoy over the last 45 years I think I sold 5 most likely should not have sold them.

Buying used guns is a very good way to stretch ones gun budget having brought dozens of used guns one can often pick them up for 50% of a new one.

All guns once they are sold at retail once are used. (some can be little used others a lot)

The last few years has been tough just like the new gun market good deals are hard to find.

But then used guns don't scare me I have been doing minor gun smithing for decades have armorer certificates from four major manufactures.

I wish I had your credentials! That would open a whole new market for me, and I would probably save some money. My collection isn't much of a collection though. A couple pistols, shotgun, rifle. Enough for a few different applications. I do have a wish list of guns that aren't made anymore though. I'd love to get into gunsmithing.