Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Checking Out

Checking Out

This spam attack does not seem to be a random attempt to sell stuff. I'll check back in from time to time.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    This spam attack does not seem to be a random attempt to sell stuff. I'll check back in from time to time.
    It's normal, OC for ME. I've been a message forum administrator on a number of different forums for nearly three decades.

It's normal, and can be fixed. But the admins here have to want it to be fixed...
    Last edited by since9; 10-16-2014 at 09:58 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Such spam attacks may be 'normal.' Allowing them to continue isn't normal, nor should it be condoned.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Grape will awake from his nap soon .. patience

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    It's normal, OC for ME. I've been a message forum administrator on a number of different forums for nearly three decades.

It's normal, and can be fixed. But the admins here have to want it to be fixed...
    (my bold)

What's that supposed to mean??

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    (my bold)

What's that supposed to mean??
    This.

Securing vBulletin message forums isn't rocket science, and improvements are developed as fast as the spammers evolve. The admins do, however, have to take the appropriate steps.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I'll check back later when all the spam has been cooked and fed to the dogs LOL
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

'round these parts we feed the spam back to the pigs...darn things will eat anything and everything...

but when fattened up good cooking...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

ummmmmm......good!!! Fried Spam is great!! A little pepperjack cheese on top.......mmmmmmm!!
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Wow! Just wow!

Two guys fund a free ice cream machine.

One guy with minimal actual education/training attends to the free ice cream machine part time while spending the rest of his time doing stuff to earn money to, among other things, fund the free ice cream machine.

Another guy with seat-of-the-pants OJT tries to do the scut work of generally oiling and wiping the free ice cream machine in the middle of having an actual life.

I appreciate that some folks (not just those posting here) are bothered by the depth of the problem and tired of having to scrape the hoohah off their eyelids so have decided to take a vacation while hoping the free ice cream can once again flow freely.

But the few who want to make comments about "they need to want to" and the like? Classy move - real classy. I'm sure it motivates the two guys trying to bail the Titanic to bail faster as opposed to heading for a lifeboat themself.

BTW - the reasons behind not bringing on volunteer help make good sense, even though the two left holding the dirty end of the stick know it means no let-up of the work they must do on their own.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Campaign Veteran
    Well, re: the spam attacks every once in a while (the usual ones for some time have been selling cell-phones?):

I don't know how they can be prevented (I'm no IT guy) but I HAVE wondered about an apparent discrepancy once they ARE posted: Members' posts are modded quite closely, and soon after posting something "inappropriate" or breaking a forum rule (usually name-calling in my case, or when I supposedly be actin' rayciss and all dat), we hear about it quickly. Yet when these spam posts happen, it's always a member(s) "reporting" said spam post to the mod/admin.

Doesn't anyone here get tired of posting a simple post saying "reported" every time this happens? Don't the mods/admin see these posts also?

So (reasonably) assuming the mods/admin DO see these posts very soon after they appear -- just like the member regulars here do (and there is no one more "regular" than a mod, yes?) -- shouldn't mods/admin deal with it without it needing to be "reported" by a member? At the very least, can't a mod/admin just delete these spam posts as soon as THEY see them?

Maybe it's just me, but no member "reporting" should be necessary I would think. UNLESS, that is, these spam post have some Cloaking Device only forum MEMBERS can see through.

Since these Spam Storms come & go, I don't think it's any reason for members to LEAVE -- it's just something annoying happening, as it does in other forums on occasion, too.

No need to abandon ship as it ain't sinkin'...
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 10-16-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Quote Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post

Maybe it's just me, but no "reporting" should be necessary I would think.

Since these Spam Storms come & go, I don't think it's any reason for members to LEAVE -- it's just something annoying happening, as it does in other forums on occasion, too.

No need to abandon ship as it ain't sinkin'...
    I expect more from my free stuff.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

As relentless as this attack has been, and dear sweet baby Jesus it has been relentless, I would think corrective actions would be taken a little more swiftly than this...

There have been around 5-10 posts per minute since about 2am this morning.
    Last edited by The Truth; 10-16-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: cuz
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

At this rate you're looking at 500+ spam posts PER HOUR going on 12 hours now.

Have fun deleting 10,000 threads! Ew
    Last edited by The Truth; 10-16-2014 at 07:44 PM.

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

I am on two paid sites and have never seen this problem. If members wish to whine about a temporary situation it may be time to cough up some dues.

I for one appreciate very much what the owners and staff have done over the years for us, and I will not participate in slamming them because some moron/s have decided to screw things up.

However they decide to handle it, I am behind them 100%, and willing to give them time to clean it up. But I would think a membership fee of 5 dollars lifetime is not out of line, and at least a 24 to 48 hour waiting period. Five bucks is not much for an individual, unless that individual is opening account after account. And hey if the spammers want to "donate" money to our cause, more power to them.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

The ship belongs to the captain, personally I would not suggest pushing the issue, as you may PO off him and we would all suffer. Remember this is private property. As far as fees, at five bucks 10 spam accounts would cost 50 bucks. Puts money in John's pocket to improve the site, and would deter spammers on a short budget.

I don't think five bucks would kill anybody here, but I am mostly thinking for new members. But I would easily put up five bucks, not even a second thought about it. It would much better spent money than for other foolishness.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-16-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Campaign Veteran
    Truth,

I didn't know THIS time there were THAT many spam posts goin' on...I recall the regular ("seasonal" if you will) cell-phone-selling spams posts which weren't on (apparently) THIS level of spam-attack the forum is now experiencing. I noticed a few of them (of course) but not the numbers you speak of or how fast they are appearing (maybe I just don't read those threads).

As for you helping fight the spam...if that's you pictured (your avatar) then I 'm not sure your health is well enough for the vigilance & strenuous work that will be required, as you're looking a bit under the weather -- if I may be so bold to say so. ;-)

As per the other suggestion by WW, no, $5 would not kill me...
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 10-16-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

It seems to me that not only are the threads compounding in numbers, but the spam users are also compounding in numbers. This could get ugly!

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post
    Truth,

I didn't know THIS time there were THAT many spam posts goin' on...I recall the regular ("seasonal" if you will) cell-phone spams posts which weren't on (apparently) THIS level of spam-attack the forum is now experiencing. I noticed a few of them (of course) but not the numbers you speak of or how fast they are appearing (maybe I just don't read those threads).

As for you helping fight the spam...if that's you pictured (avatar) then I 'm not sure your health is well enough for the vigilance & strenuous work that will be required, as you're looking a bit under the weather, if I may say so. ;-)
    Volunteer Mod is a job title that should only be given to those well respected long standing members. Two that come to mind are Peter Nap, and Skidmark. I would also out of respect for USER suggest he be made a Mod, even though as a active attorney he cannot be on here daily, attorneys do have to work. The caseload of a successful attorney would not afford them the time to spend hours on the internet. But he still deserves it if he wants it, IMO.

ETA Sorry Cloud I see you have been here a while, you would be included in that list.

Truth you and I have not been here long enough, IMO.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-16-2014 at 02:46 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

As of 2:46pm EST the stats for the General Discussion board are as follows:

Threads: 8,596

Check back in just an hour and see where those numbers are at. The only thing we have going for us is the fact that the spam bots have not figured out how to infiltrate the other subforums as well.
    Last edited by The Truth; 10-16-2014 at 02:47 PM.

μολὼν λαβέ

The sky is falling the sky is falling!!

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Hey if uggs are good enough for Tom Brady then you guys should lucky enough to even read or utter the word..
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    What in the world does paying for a membership have to do with anything? I'm a stay at home Dad, I'm off all week, and all I can do is sit back and watch as the forum goes down the tubes when I could at least be given temp power to delete threads or ban spammers. I think I've proven myself to be a mature adult that can be trusted with such power in a time like this. Kinda like "forum martial law." I mean, I just talked with Grapeshot this morning at the DGIF board meeting and it seems like John Pierce is the only one with the power to do anything. The captain is letting the ship go down!

In the time it takes me to write this post 10 more spam threads will be created. How hard could it possibly be to ban every new spam user as soon as they pop up in the meantime, and find a solution while doing so? I've posted on vbulletin forums plenty in my life and normally it's not that big of an ordeal to have to ban several spammers and delete subsequent threads, but when it gets to this level where the threads are compounding in numbers, it's almost too late.
    D I think I've proven myself to be a mature adult...."

[quote name=&quot;solus&quot; post=2082160]OC4ME, et al., officer stops you for a traffic infraction, asks 'do you know how fast you were going?' you know you were speeding 15-20 over the limit, so you are going to mitigate your response is to say 'you know officer, maybe just under 10 miles over the limit' so you now received a citation for speeding 10 over the limit. end result is the same, you have a ticket!<br />
    <br />
    'do you want a citation for obstruction?' 'sure!' was the young man's response on video i might add, so the young man now has a citation for obstruction!<br />
    <br />
    ipse[/QUOTE]<br />
    <br />
    Un-ignored on this thread only because I regret deleting my posts, and so that inexperienced readers coming here for education don't have to read your BS opinion as fact. I don't care if I get reprimanded for this, as a reprimand is of no consequence to me and it is worth it for me to make my next statement because you don't seem to respond to intelligent conversation or debate. <b>You are an ignorant, ARROGANT, statist M*RON, and now I KNOW you're a statist cop. Only a statist cop would respond with such absolutely ignorant drivel as you have displayed in this thread</b>. Your analogy with the speeding ticket is ASININE, and so off-the-mark that I have now been affirmed that you are only here as a politically correct counter balance to actual logic on this forum. If I'm going to be moderated on stupid crap, I'm damn sure gonna make sure it's worth it from now on. How's that for ad hominem? You're a d*lt. I am typing what countless others simply don't care to get in trouble for - <u>The Truth.</u><br />
    <br />
    What you 'hear' in the video:<br />
    &quot;'do you want a citation for obstruction?' 'sure!' was the young man's response...[snip]&quot;<br />
    <br />
    What was actually said in the video:<br />
    &quot;I'm going to give you one last chance to give me your last name....(inaudible)....or I'm going to cite you for obstruction.&quot; <br />
    <br />
    &quot;Cite me for obstruction then!&quot;<br />
    <br />
    To even suggest that this is an admission of guilt is not only ignorant, it's irresponsible. And if the only point you are proving is the fact that he was given a citation, well no sh*t. No one is arguing whether or not he received a citation.<br />
    <br />
    Luckily in Virginia I can tell a cop to shove it and walk away if asked for ID for no reason whatsoever except committing lawful acts.<br />
    <br />
    *Admin, don't delete this whole post. If you wish I will delete insults, but that's it. I'm not here to go along with this crap like a little sheep, and I respectfully refuse to do so*<br/>

Cool, thanks for reminding me how huge of a troll solus is/was to me when I first started posting here!

μολὼν λαβέ

BTW: WTF is an ugg?
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast