• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Checking Out

wrightme

Point of fact - a new anti spam plug in filter is in place and seems to be doing a commendable job. Thanks John.

See brief report just below
users_online.png
Currently Active Users:
[h=3]Spam-O-Matic Statistics[/h] 1054 Spammers Denied Registration
3 Spammy Posts Automatically Moderated

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?127561-prada-online-store-et69 :rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sweet. Wish they had it back in the day when I was admin & mod on a few busy forum.

Update:
3630 Spammers Denied Registration
28 Spammy Posts Automatically Moderated

We are always behind the curve - reacting to new means - but the curve is getting shorter and more proactive.

For those that slip through, we have effective tools also. :)

JohnC76

Update:

We are always behind the curve - reacting to new means - but the curve is getting shorter and more proactive.

Did you guys add the Q&A like i suggested? That really throws the non-English human spammers off. :cool:

WalkingWolf

Update:

GS you can never be ahead of the curve ~ that is because the same hackers that cause the problems provide the cures.

WalkingWolf

Hero syndrome

Hero syndrome

The hero syndrome is a phenomenon affecting people who seek heroism or recognition, usually by creating a desperate situation which they can resolve. This can include unlawful acts, such as arson. The phenomenon has been noted to affect civil servants, such as firefighters, nurses, police officers, programmers, and security guards. Acts linked with the hero syndrome should not be confused with acts of malicious intent, such as revenge on the part of a suspended firefighter or an insatiable level of excitement, as was found in a federal study of more than 75 firefighter arsonists.[1] However, acts of the hero syndrome have been linked to previously failed heroism. The hero syndrome may also be a more general yearning for self-worth.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_syndrome

Antivirus biz's founder unmasked as noted Chinese hacker

Antivirus startup Anvisoft was founded by an infamous Chinese hacker who allegedly cut his teeth exploiting Microsoft Office security holes to hack US defence contractors, it has emerged.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/29/anvisoft_chinese_intrigue/

Hiring Hackers As Security Consultants

The subject of whether it is ethical to use former hackers to evaluate a network’s security is a topic that is often hotly debated. In this article, I will explore the pros and cons of using former hackers in such roles.

Although the practice has been going on for quite some time, the subject of whether or not you should hire reformed hackers as security consultants has been receiving a lot of press lately. This seems to be a very touchy issue, and there are strong opinions on both sides. Being that this issue has been generating so much heat, I wanted to take the opportunity to discuss both sides of the issue.

Another thing that I want to get out of the way is a little confession. I myself am a grey hat hacker. For a period of time in the late 1980s and early 1990s, I was involved in numerous illegal hacks. I was an angry teenager at the time, and it just seemed like the thing to do. Around 1992 however, I came to my senses and decided to go legitimate. I have refrained from illegal hacking ever since. Today, I am the half owner of a security research firm. One of the services that this company offers is security penetration testing. Basically, this means that for a fee, we can attempt to hack into a company’s network and then present the company with a report detailing the existing security holes and how those holes can be eliminated.

http://www.windowsecurity.com/artic...rk_security/Hackers-Security-Consultants.html

IT security
Companies hiring hackers to harden defenses

To burglar-proof your home, it is best hire a burglar as a consultant, as he is more likely to find the security vulnerabilities and demonstrate how they can be exploited; following this approach, companies large and small are now hiring hackers to test the companies’ security system vulnerabilities and find ways to harden these systems to withstand intrusion

The two young engineers, Jarrad Sims and Tin Tam, are working side-by-side, developing, revising, and analyzing security systems, then spending much of their time trying to “crack” these systems.

http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20120415-companies-hiring-hackers-to-harden-defenses

7 Hackers Who Got Legit Jobs From Their Exploits

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/266255/7-hackers-who-got-legit-jobs-from-their-exploits

So basically Hackers hack because they can, to make money, to annoy, to disrupt sites, and to be the hero that comes in to save the day like mighty mouse. To be a anti hacker you have to be smart enough to be a hacker. The problem and the solution are self perpetuating.

"keep your friends close, but your enemies closer"

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Been said before - it takes a thief to catch a thief. Well maybe not always, but they do have some been there done that experience.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I used to write for Network World, most notably with respect to wireless and networking security.

I lived in Las Vegas at the time, and never missed the annual DEFCON. "DEF CON is one of the oldest continuously running hacker conventions around, and also one of the largest." People gather to share their exploits and learn from others.

It's HUGE, with meeting rooms galore and people spilling out into the isles, mostly sitting down while plugging away at their laptops.

I attended many outstanding presentations, most (if not all) of which are available on their website, here.

Here's one of the better speeches I've enjoyed.

White/gray hackers are highly valued as a means of testing and securing networks against the black hats. I include gray hats in the mix, as they're usually much better than the white hats at cutting-edge techniques, primarily because they're actually hacking away, improving their craft. Yes, the gray hats break the law. They do illegal things. By and large, however, they don't do destructive things. They hack to learn more, even if it means breaking the law. Black hats do the same, but their ultimate goal is destruction (inflicting huge financial harm) and theft (does the same, but makes them rich).

Last edited: