• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Checking Out

since9

Campaign Veteran
This spam attack does not seem to be a random attempt to sell stuff. I'll check back in from time to time.

It's normal, OC for ME. I've been a message forum administrator on a number of different forums for nearly three decades.

It's normal, and can be fixed. But the admins here have to want it to be fixed... :)

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
It's normal, OC for ME. I've been a message forum administrator on a number of different forums for nearly three decades.

It's normal, and can be fixed. But the admins here have to want it to be fixed... :)
(my bold)

What's that supposed to mean??

solus

'round these parts we feed the spam back to the pigs...darn things will eat anything and everything...:shocker:

but when fattened up good cooking...

ipse

Redbaron007

ummmmmm......good!!! Fried Spam is great!! A little pepperjack cheese on top.......mmmmmmm!!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Wow! Just wow!

Two guys fund a free ice cream machine.

One guy with minimal actual education/training attends to the free ice cream machine part time while spending the rest of his time doing stuff to earn money to, among other things, fund the free ice cream machine.

Another guy with seat-of-the-pants OJT tries to do the scut work of generally oiling and wiping the free ice cream machine in the middle of having an actual life.

I appreciate that some folks (not just those posting here) are bothered by the depth of the problem and tired of having to scrape the hoohah off their eyelids so have decided to take a vacation while hoping the free ice cream can once again flow freely.

But the few who want to make comments about "they need to want to" and the like? Classy move - real classy. I'm sure it motivates the two guys trying to bail the Titanic to bail faster as opposed to heading for a lifeboat themself.

BTW - the reasons behind not bringing on volunteer help make good sense, even though the two left holding the dirty end of the stick know it means no let-up of the work they must do on their own.

stay safe.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Well, re: the spam attacks every once in a while (the usual ones for some time have been selling cell-phones?):

I don't know how they can be prevented (I'm no IT guy) but I HAVE wondered about an apparent discrepancy once they ARE posted: Members' posts are modded quite closely, and soon after posting something "inappropriate" or breaking a forum rule (usually name-calling in my case, or when I supposedly be actin' rayciss and all dat), we hear about it quickly. Yet when these spam posts happen, it's always a member(s) "reporting" said spam post to the mod/admin.

Doesn't anyone here get tired of posting a simple post saying "reported" every time this happens? Don't the mods/admin see these posts also?

So (reasonably) assuming the mods/admin DO see these posts very soon after they appear -- just like the member regulars here do (and there is no one more "regular" than a mod, yes?) -- shouldn't mods/admin deal with it without it needing to be "reported" by a member? At the very least, can't a mod/admin just delete these spam posts as soon as THEY see them?

Maybe it's just me, but no member "reporting" should be necessary I would think. UNLESS, that is, these spam post have some Cloaking Device only forum MEMBERS can see through.

Since these Spam Storms come & go, I don't think it's any reason for members to LEAVE -- it's just something annoying happening, as it does in other forums on occasion, too.

No need to abandon ship as it ain't sinkin'...

Last edited:

OC for ME

Maybe it's just me, but no "reporting" should be necessary I would think.

Since these Spam Storms come & go, I don't think it's any reason for members to LEAVE -- it's just something annoying happening, as it does in other forums on occasion, too.

No need to abandon ship as it ain't sinkin'...
I expect more from my free stuff. ;)

The Truth

As relentless as this attack has been, and dear sweet baby Jesus it has been relentless, I would think corrective actions would be taken a little more swiftly than this...

There have been around 5-10 posts per minute since about 2am this morning.

Last edited:

The Truth

At this rate you're looking at 500+ spam posts PER HOUR going on 12 hours now.

Have fun deleting 10,000 threads! Ew

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I am on two paid sites and have never seen this problem. If members wish to whine about a temporary situation it may be time to cough up some dues.

I for one appreciate very much what the owners and staff have done over the years for us, and I will not participate in slamming them because some moron/s have decided to screw things up.

However they decide to handle it, I am behind them 100%, and willing to give them time to clean it up. But I would think a membership fee of 5 dollars lifetime is not out of line, and at least a 24 to 48 hour waiting period. Five bucks is not much for an individual, unless that individual is opening account after account. And hey if the spammers want to "donate" money to our cause, more power to them.

WalkingWolf

The ship belongs to the captain, personally I would not suggest pushing the issue, as you may PO off him and we would all suffer. Remember this is private property. As far as fees, at five bucks 10 spam accounts would cost 50 bucks. Puts money in John's pocket to improve the site, and would deter spammers on a short budget.

I don't think five bucks would kill anybody here, but I am mostly thinking for new members. But I would easily put up five bucks, not even a second thought about it. It would much better spent money than for other foolishness.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Truth,

I didn't know THIS time there were THAT many spam posts goin' on...I recall the regular ("seasonal" if you will) cell-phone-selling spams posts which weren't on (apparently) THIS level of spam-attack the forum is now experiencing. I noticed a few of them (of course) but not the numbers you speak of or how fast they are appearing (maybe I just don't read those threads).

As for you helping fight the spam...if that's you pictured (your avatar) then I 'm not sure your health is well enough for the vigilance & strenuous work that will be required, as you're looking a bit under the weather -- if I may be so bold to say so. ;-)

As per the other suggestion by WW, no, $5 would not kill me...

Last edited:

The Truth

It seems to me that not only are the threads compounding in numbers, but the spam users are also compounding in numbers. This could get ugly!

WalkingWolf

Truth,

I didn't know THIS time there were THAT many spam posts goin' on...I recall the regular ("seasonal" if you will) cell-phone spams posts which weren't on (apparently) THIS level of spam-attack the forum is now experiencing. I noticed a few of them (of course) but not the numbers you speak of or how fast they are appearing (maybe I just don't read those threads).

As for you helping fight the spam...if that's you pictured (avatar) then I 'm not sure your health is well enough for the vigilance & strenuous work that will be required, as you're looking a bit under the weather, if I may say so. ;-)

Volunteer Mod is a job title that should only be given to those well respected long standing members. Two that come to mind are Peter Nap, and Skidmark. I would also out of respect for USER suggest he be made a Mod, even though as a active attorney he cannot be on here daily, attorneys do have to work. The caseload of a successful attorney would not afford them the time to spend hours on the internet. But he still deserves it if he wants it, IMO.

ETA Sorry Cloud I see you have been here a while, you would be included in that list.

Truth you and I have not been here long enough, IMO.

Last edited:

The Truth

As of 2:46pm EST the stats for the General Discussion board are as follows:

Threads: 8,596

Check back in just an hour and see where those numbers are at. The only thing we have going for us is the fact that the spam bots have not figured out how to infiltrate the other subforums as well.

Last edited: