• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Checking Out

The Truth

6:35pm EST, over 1,500 threads deleted. I really want to know who and how they are doing it...

Threads: 7,465

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
6:35pm EST, over 1,500 threads deleted. I really want to know who and how they are doing it...

Threads: 7,465

Index finger of the right hand is being used. As to who? - the person tasked. (That tasked man left this-here silver bullet.:D)

stay safe.

The Truth

A new spammer has been reported. It seems this one has infiltrated different sub-forums like I feared...

Good call on the 30 second delay between posts though.

JohnC76

I run phpBB and Invision Power forums.

The most effective anti-spam measure on my phpBB forum is PeopleSign image captcha.

The ip.board has all the anti-spam stuff built in and it is very effective. I just keep the forum up to date and no spam issues.

The only spammers that get in are the occasional human spammer, but they don't do as much damage as a bot because they're human and slower. Human spammers tend to make a post or two and they're gone. They don't stick around all day making tons of posts.

That said, I bet your captcha on registration has been cracked by the bots.

JohnC76

I just looked and I don't think PeopleSign has anything for vBulletin.

Check and make sure this board is up to date and if the problem continues, first thing I'd do is get a new registration captcha, preferably image captcha and even add a Q&A to it.

Then, make posts limited to maybe 1 per 2 or 3 minutes to slow the bots down until you can perma ban them all.

That's a start....

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
But the few who want to make comments about "they need to want to" and the like? Classy move - real classy. I'm sure it motivates the two guys trying to bail the Titanic to bail faster as opposed to heading for a lifeboat themself.

Put a sock in in, skid. I've "only" been doing this for 28 years. I've offered to help, not only recently, but also in the past. Reminds me of the knucklehead in Predator who gets his chest caved in, seconds from death, yet keeps chanting, "I can make it... I can make it!"

Yeah, right. Sure...

...the two left holding the dirty end of the stick know it means no let-up of the work they must do on their own.

Oooh! All that WORK!!!

Done right (automatically), the fix takes about an hour, most of that just downloading and installing the right plug-in. Done wrong (manually), it's a whole lot of work. Might take days.

The fact they did in manually tells me they're still trying to bail instead of doing what they should have done, which is plug the hole.

Just out of curiosity, skidmark, how many eBBS and message forum software packages have you installed, configured, mod'd, and admin'd?

I'm on my ninth.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I run phpBB and Invision Power forums.

The most effective anti-spam measure on my phpBB forum is PeopleSign image captcha.

The ip.board has all the anti-spam stuff built in and it is very effective.

It is indeed.

The only spammers that get in are the occasional human spammer, but they don't do as much damage as a bot because they're human and slower. Human spammers tend to make a post or two and they're gone. They don't stick around all day making tons of posts.

Sadly, they've scripted the posts. Humans are needed only to get past the captcha. Even the e-mail confirmation is scripted.

That said, I bet your captcha on registration has been cracked by the bots.

Or humans. Again, all this is run in a shell, which does 99% of th work. You don't have sweatshops with a human trying to hack their way in to each and ever message forum. All they see is what the shell delivers, which is the Captcha. The only thing the humans do is type what they see, hit Enter, and repeat. They can easily crank out 300 an hour. Armed with the responses, the shells (scripts) do all the grunt work of creating accounts, confirming the e-mail, etc.

Deleting the spammers, is a BAD move. You want to ban them, not delete them.

JohnC76

I had big problems with spam-bots on my phpBB forums and I was told on the support boards that some of the captcha had been cracked, whatever that means.

Once I uploaded the PeopleSign, it basically ended the spam-bot issues.

So you could try a new captcha, or just add a Q&A like:

Which amendment protects an individual's right to bear arms?

Possible answers:

2nd
Second
Second amendment
2nd amendment
2A

I bet that would end spam-not registrations.

Last way is to do admin registration approval so you can look up IP, email, and profile details before confirming, but that's a lot of time and work.

If the IP comes back to China, India, Russia and a few others, you can bet it's a spam reg.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
For those who are posting their suggestions to this thread: unless it's clear that your suggestion has been read by the moderator or a site owner (for instance, by John or Grapeshot either PMing you or posting on this thread), PM either of the two previously named individuals.

since9

Campaign Veteran
For those who are posting their suggestions to this thread: unless it's clear that your suggestion has been read by the moderator or a site owner (for instance, by John or Grapeshot either PMing you or posting on this thread), PM either of the two previously named individuals.

While it's nice to see you sharing your concerns and thoughtful guidance, your comment erroneously assumes that such actions were never taken.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Point of fact - a new anti spam plug in filter is in place and seems to be doing a commendable job. Thanks John.

OC for ME

I guess I didn't check out as much as I thought I would...just can't help myself. Hardy well done to the owners and staff.
beerbeerbeer.gif