• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Preparing to travel to Memphis

stealthyeliminator

So I've gathered that while in Memphis, with a Texas CHL, I may open or concealed carry.

I'm assuming that there are no quirks about vehicle carry, and that I may carry either way in my vehicle without issue as well?
I imagine I'll be going to malls and restaurants while there, is there anything I should know specifically?
There aren't any quirks about partially concealed/partially open, right? Such as jacket half covering holster?

Just want to make sure I get everything straight and the latest info, since you guys have had several positive law changes recently, right?

Kopis

TN recognizes all other HCPs/CCWs so open carry, conceal, part conceal... whatever you want. In TN, you are required to present your HCP upon request of an LEO. Vehicle carry laws were recently modified to no permit required but that's a non issue for you. Enjoy!

Last time i was stopped by an LEO and started to tell him, he cut me off mid sentence and said "you arent required to inform in TN and if you arent carrying in memphis, you're a dumbass and deserve to get shot!" haha.

independence

My favorite here is the pseudo open carry a lot of us do where the tshirt doesn't quite cover it and there is an obviously ridiculous amount of printing. rotflol! Anyway, in addition to what Kopis said, check out www.handgunlaw.us. You have to heed silly no guns signs, if posted in accordance with law. You can be in a restaurant that serves booze, as long as you yourself don't inbibe. Most malls will be posted, unfortunately.

May I suggest...I never travel to Memphis without 2 backup guns and lots of ammo - seriously. I am not alone in this. I have friends who do the same. If you are preparing for worst case scenario, this is it, man.

stealthyeliminator

Thanks guys. I meant to ask about requirement to ID and sign requirements but forgot, you guys read my mind :) I will read up on http://www.handgunlaw.us/

I've only read it through once, but I'm a little unclear on the parks part. Do parks HAVE to be posted, or could there theoretically be an ordinance prohibiting carry at a park without a sign notifying you?

Fallguy

Thanks guys. I meant to ask about requirement to ID and sign requirements but forgot, you guys read my mind :) I will read up on http://www.handgunlaw.us/

I've only read it through once, but I'm a little unclear on the parks part. Do parks HAVE to be posted, or could there theoretically be an ordinance prohibiting carry at a park without a sign notifying you?

Stare parks are legal. It is possible there could still be signs at some saying no guns, but these do not apply to anyone with a permit. Long story doing with money as to why signs weren't removed.

Local parks are legal unless the city/county passes a resolution against carry. If they pass such an ordnance state law requires them to post a specific sign, although there is an AG opinion saying someone could still be charged even if no signs are posted. A city ordnance passed before before 04/01/86 is enforceable. I think there are only two cities like this, Knoxville and one other I can't think of.

independence

And National Parks are legal except for the federal buildings within the park, which should be posted. I've open carried in the presence of National Park Rangers on many, many occasions.

Last edited: