Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selecting for duty, chose .45 ACP need suggestions!

Activist Member

Selecting for duty, chose .45 ACP need suggestions!

I got a job offer to do government contracts and I have the option to provide my own firearm. I'm choosing .45 as it's the best for stopping power as I most likely will not be trying to shoot huge distances while on duty. They gave us the option to choose 9mm, .40, and .45 caliber. What's everyone's opinions with S&W M&P .45 series, used a .40 version back with a previous contractor and the grip is extremely comfortable. After S&W I can't stand how Glock fits in my hand. For $600 or less you can pick one up and I figure that is a heck of a deal for a quality .45 pistol with tons of aftermarket support.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

Quote Originally Posted by DWCook View Post
    I got a job offer to do government contracts and I have the option to provide my own firearm. I'm choosing .45 as it's the best for stopping power as I most likely will not be trying to shoot huge distances while on duty. They gave us the option to choose 9mm, .40, and .45 caliber. What's everyone's opinions with S&W M&P .45 series, used a .40 version back with a previous contractor and the grip is extremely comfortable. After S&W I can't stand how Glock fits in my hand. For $600 or less you can pick one up and I figure that is a heck of a deal for a quality .45 pistol with tons of aftermarket support.
    It boils down to mostly personal preference making it hard to advise on a specific caliber, though some will. All three you listed are good, S&W makes a darn good handgun, you can't lose with one. Each caliber has it's advantages and setbacks. I carry both 40 and 45 to me it really does not matter, they both go boom, and send a chunk of lead downrange. What type of government contracts?
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Activist Member
    well I convinced myself and bought a FNH FNS 9mm LE Edition and put on order RIP 9mm rounds.

Going to be doing Government storage sites for startes, obviously can't say where lol!
    Last edited by DWCook; 10-16-2014 at 01:49 PM.

If you want real stopping power get away from wimpy handgun calibers. There is an option that comes mounted in a handgun platform, but it gets sneered at.

5.57mm (.224 cal) slices through bullet-resistant vests and will chip away ceramic plates enough to let a bullet get inside. 1,600 FPS+ and 330+ ft/lb of energy. The vaunted .44 Mag and .500S&W might, maybe, do that some of the time.

The bullet does not expand so much as it shatters, creating a wound cavern as opposed to a would cavity - much like the 5.56mm/.223 cal round coming out of the highly recommended for self/home defense poodle shooter.

Google for recent information about the comparison of the various self defense calibers - they all meet the FBI's 12-inch penetration standard and the temporary would cavity does not vary that much between calibers.

"Stopping power" is based on two factors - the stopping of bodily functions that support aggressive behavior (disrupting the CNS for a "drop right there" effect or the rapid leading of essential bodily fluids for a "pretty much done for by 10 minutes) or achieving a psychological surrender. There are those that add a pelvic girdle shot, but that just puts the body down without really interfering with aggressive behavior. Some folks psychologically surrender when they see a gun-like object pointed at them, while some folks keep on fighting for 10-15 seconds after having their heart blown into tiny shreds.

Pick a caliber that you like and learn how to place it in an appropriate spot time after time after time. Sometimes that means choosing a caliber that does not begin with "4" because of the ability to handle the handgun better, and sometimes it means choosing a caliber that does not begin with "4" because you are happier cramming a few more rounds in the magazine.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

well I convinced myself and bought a FNH FNS 9mm LE Edition and put on order RIP 9mm rounds.

Going to be doing Government storage sites for startes, obviously can't say where lol!

http://media.photobucket.com/user/mi...g.html?filters[term]=nelson%20ha%20ha&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=2

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...facepalm-1.png

http://media.photobucket.com/user/ab...f.html?filters[term]=roflmao&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=20

You are trying to pull our leg, right?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

is that a joke? RIP rounds have less grains than your standard 9mm FMJ not to mention the hornady 147gr critical defense rounds, also available in p+.... those rounds are a joke.

What makes the FNX an "LE" edition? I had an FNX 9mm for awhile. good gun, terrible holster selection.

go out to williams gunsights and check out the sights on your FNS, http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pistol.htm

sweet addition to your firearm...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 10-16-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Activist Member
    What is everyone's deal with 9mm rounds? !?!. Let's not make this my round is bigger than your round. 92 grain is perfect, for having just enough to pierce and not end up going out the other side.

ya skid let's step up the get-up & go with the 5.7x28 aka Five-seveN who's rounds produce a muzzle V at around 2.3K +/-, 340+/- energy...

nice pistol with 20+1 on board and due to the polymer frame contributes to minimal recoil which makes it quite pleasant to shoot with superb accuracy.

or so i have heard

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

What is everyone's deal with 9mm rounds? !?!. Let's not make this my round is bigger than your round. 92 grain is perfect, for having just enough to pierce and not end up going out the other side.
    i like 9...as stated i switched to once caliber many years before the ammo crisis and been quite satisfied with FN firearms...

ipse

Activist Member
    Yeah I'm happy with my choice as I have huge selection when it comes to rounds and the quality of FnH itself. Love the looks and it's a comfortable and smooth shooting pistol! Honestly don't need a 40 or 45 caliber version as the 9mm with good rounds is just as effective.

dwcook, if you need repair, FN's repair facility inbound has some glitches but they were nits in my opinion and their repairs were top notch IMHO...

ipse

I loved FNH and had my heart set on an FNP40 for the longest time...until I could afford a Sig
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Nice firearm, good caliber, but cancel the order for the RIP rounds and buy something that has passed muster in the real world, like Winchester Ranger T, Speer Gold Dot, or Federal HST.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Activist Member
    Sig and FnH are almost on the same level. I still prefer FnH over sig.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    Nice firearm, good caliber, but cancel the order for the RIP rounds and buy something that has passed muster in the real world, like Winchester Ranger T, Speer Gold Dot, or Federal HST.
    +1

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

I most likely go with time proven bullets also rem, fed, win corbon hornaday all make proven bullets. in a nice +P or +P+ loading 115 or 124gr.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Ah, guarding the Ark of the Covenant
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Sig and FnH are almost on the same level. I still prefer FnH over sig.
    Judging by your signature, I'll bet I could guess why...

μολὼν λαβέ

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I have an M&P 45 full size with the 4 inch barrel and it a a great shooter. Typically superb M&P handling and feel and the balance with the 4 inch barrel is excellent for me. I have the Apex Tactical DCAEK installed in this gun but kept the factory OEM trigger spring. The pull weight is 5 pounds with an almost 1911-like break. For your purposes, I would suggest using the stronger trigger spring that comes with the kit if you should decide to instal the DCAEK.

This is my favorite .45ACP pistol. Go for it.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Activist Member
    I absolutely LOVE my FNH FNS 9mm! I forgot I had some left over 9mm Black Talon rounds so I was able to fill my magazines up. Honestly if I go a bigger caliber it will be .45 caliber, no reason for me to get .40 when 9mm ballistic testing match .40 caliber. Nothing against .40 caliber by any means, I am just trying not to build up a huge collection of firearms that I won't touch or barely shoot.
    Last edited by DWCook; 10-23-2014 at 06:48 AM.

I am just trying not to build up a huge collection of firearms that I won't touch or barely shoot.
    Why not join the crowd I have shot all my guns at least once.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Activist Member
    Have future plans that require strict money management. So this requires me only to buy the ones I really want and not just to blow money to have them. Honestly don't need to have 15 to 20 different firearms in my collection as that is later on when money is pushed. If I don't have at least one year of savings put away to use to pay all bills monthly without struggling if lose job, then I'm not doing it right. Also I am stupid strict with how much I want in the checking account at all times, which is a HIGH number.

Makes a different in what stage you are of your life.

Good money management is important.

When I was paying my house of with accelerated payments not many extra guns were brought

Glock or?

I have a Glock 30 for CC and a Springfield XD45, I like them both, but I would never carry anything that doesn't start with a 4. I'm an old school Army guy, carried an M1911 for years. Been a long time since I've been on here, took a break because of all the arguing and back-biting, hope it's changed. Our Kansas Governor Brownback has done great things for 2A rights, we're fighting to keep him.
    Last edited by KansasMustang; 10-29-2014 at 04:41 AM. Reason: more to say
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast