Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Michigan Open Carry Lunch and Seminar @ Panera Bread, Downtown GR 11/8/14 1:00PM

  1. #1
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018

    Michigan Open Carry Lunch and Seminar @ Panera Bread, Downtown GR 11/8/14 1:00PM

    Michigan Open Carry Lunch and Seminar @ Panera Bread, Downtown GR 11/8/14 1:00PM

    Michigan Open Carry Lunch and Seminar – Grand Rapids, MI 1:00 Saturday 9/8/2014

    Never open carried before? Curious about it? Join us for lunch in Grand Rapids!

    Lawful Open Carry of a holstered handgun welcome and encouraged (but not required).

    Michigan Open Carry is inviting you and your friends to come to Panera Bread for lunch and a Seminar. We'll be there having good food, pleasant conversation, and answering any questions we can.

    These events sponsored by Michigan Open Carry are a great way to learn more about the lawfulness of open carrying of a handgun.

    When: Saturday November 8th
    Time: 1:00pm
    Where: Panera Bread - Downtown Grand Rapids
    99 Monroe Avenue
    Grand Rapids, MI 49503

    [urlhttps://www.google.com/maps/dir//Campau+Square+Plaza+Bldg,+99+Monroe+Ave+NE,+Grand+ Rapids,+MI+49503/@42.9651325,-85.7070291,13z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x8819adc51a25233b:0xe dd9f399a9e190eb!2m2!1d-85.6726964!2d42.9651376][/url]
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  2. #2
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Ron Shaich Panera CEO "Within our company, we strive to create Panera Warmth. This warmth means bakery-cafes where customers and associates feel comfortable and welcome. To this end, we ask that guns not be brought into this environment unless carried by an authorized law enforcement officer."

    Sounds like a great place to spend our money huh?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  3. #3
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Good point!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #4
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Maybe this is MOC's way of protesting PB's STUPID rules. Hey some people don't feel warm or comfortable around: Gays, Blacks, Whites, Women, Men, Kids, Guide Dogs, Blind people, silverware, trash cans, and the list continues to infinity! Why not ask that all above be kept from PB too?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  5. #5
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Maybe this is MOC's way of protesting PB's STUPID rules. Hey some people don't feel warm or comfortable around: Gays, Blacks, Whites, Women, Men, Kids, Guide Dogs, Blind people, silverware, trash cans, and the list continues to infinity! Why not ask that all above be kept from PB too?
    I would think that we could find places that fully support our rights and reward them with our hard earned money.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  6. #6
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    I applaud the effort of putting an event like this together, but I must question the idea of holding an OC event at a business that has openly stated that they don't want guns in their stores. It seems like purposeful disrespect of private property rights. Does the OC movement really want to represent themselves this way, and monetarily support a company that clearly does not support carry? I'm curious as to the true motives here.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I applaud the effort of putting an event like this together, but I must question the idea of holding an OC event at a business that has openly stated that they don't want guns in their stores. It seems like purposeful disrespect of private property rights. Does the OC movement really want to represent themselves this way, and monetarily support a company that clearly does not support carry? I'm curious as to the true motives here.
    Exactly, sure we CAN but should we?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Englewood, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    654

    What you should do...

    Everyone get together in the PB parking lot...

    Walk-in as a group... ask for the manager and tell him/her... you are leaving and going to a business that respects your right... and walk out.

    If one person did this, they would think nothing of it.

    Now if 2 people do it, and say it in harmory then they would think your both weird, and wouldn't think much of it.

    And if three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking to Panera's, telling the manager their leaving and walking out. They may think it's and organization.

    And can you imagine 50 people a day, I said 50 people a day walking in and telling the manager their leaving and then walking out.

    then friends they may think it's a movement.

  9. #9
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Or maybe shadow bear really, really, just likes the bread there? Who knows? I am sure there's a good reason.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  10. #10
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Or maybe shadow bear really, really, just likes the bread there? Who knows? I am sure there's a good reason.
    I do like their bread. Enough to add to the profits of a company that asked us not to carry?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  11. #11
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    MOC has been in contact with the owner of the franchise, and he is welcoming us with open arms. While corporate Panera caved to the anti human rights coven, individual franchise owners set their own rules. The owner of this (and numerous other locations in West MI) supports human rights.

    They are providing the facility for the seminar free of charge.

    Did anyone seriously think we were just going to surprise them, and hold a lunch & seminar without making sure there would be no negative public relations issues?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  12. #12
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Gotta hand it to Steel Magnolia- she can sell barbecue to a woman in white gloves. I didn't think even she couldn't pull this off, but she kept on working her way up the food chain to the actual owner, and got the job done! Do I sound proud of her? Damn right, I am!
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  13. #13
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Cool! Good job guys & GALs.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  14. #14
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    And profits from this will work their way up the ladder to the people at Corporate who caved right?
    Last edited by Raggs; 10-22-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  15. #15
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573
    Raggs your point is valid - however if enough franchisees said "screw stupid policy" to their colleagues at corporate office, they may lift their STUPID policies all together. Just saying... every tidal wave starts with a ripple in the ocean so to speak, may be this is PB's ripple...just saying...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  16. #16
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    There's no shame in staying home if this bothers anyone's conscience. I have a feeling we'll be packed out, anyway.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    And profits from this will work their way up the ladder to the people at Corporate who caved right?
    It's not possible to post in this forum, or even view it without sending money up the ladder to some anti-gun corporation or mogul.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Ezerharden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Erie, MI
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Raggs your point is valid - however if enough franchisees said "screw stupid policy" to their colleagues at corporate office, they may lift their STUPID policies all together. Just saying... every tidal wave starts with a ripple in the ocean so to speak, may be this is PB's ripple...just saying...
    QFT!!!!

    Really, how many "managers" or "Owners" really agree with all Corporate Policies? The fact that this franchise owner invited us, and supports us, means we should support him. He is after all telling the corporation FU with regards to his local policy. if enough local franchise owners tell corporate the same thing, corporate might get the message.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

    I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

    For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •