• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

richmond to raleigh

thedevilrobyjohn

Ill be down to the fair this weekend. I have VA chp. Where does NC stand on loaded shotguns in vehicles? Im not a hunter and it isnt hard to tell, well I hunt does that are expensive and threaten to tell your wife. I do like my 590, saiga or ksg.

solus

as you can see from the several posts out here, firearms, OC or CC at the fair is a huge no no...

the NC AG firearms overview site is located here: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

your attention is directed to section III D, about page 22.
readers digest paraphrased version:
North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. ... individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon, either on or about them, without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit. It is for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle.

The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that individual’s purpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer’s and the vehicle’s occupants’ safety.

The prohibition to carrying concealed weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to “long guns” as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate North Carolina law.

enjoy the fair as the weather is suppose to be exemplary for the majority of the run.

ipse

WalkingWolf

Conceal handgun permit in NC only covers a handgun so you cannot conceal your shotgun in your vehicle. You can though carry openly in your vehicle. If you intend on carrying in a case I suggest putting it in the trunk. If you have a rack just store it in the rack uncased.

As Solus indicated you cannot carry in any form at the NC State Fair.

Last edited:

thedevilrobyjohn

appreciate it

thanks, no intention of fair carry. I make an unarmed exception because NC state fair is grand, my favorite. The 590 tactical folder occupies passenger seat in all its glory, now about those does.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Lemme know about the "scenery," so that I may live vicariously through you.
North Carolina has some beautiful scenery from the mountains to the other regions - samples of which can be seen at the State Fair.

Thoroughly enjoyed the years I lived there :)