Thread: Mental Health Issues Put 34,500 on New York’s No-Guns List

Mental Health Issues Put 34,500 on New York’s No-Guns List

A newly created database of New Yorkers deemed too mentally unstable to carry firearms has grown to roughly 34,500 names, a previously undisclosed figure that has raised concerns among some mental health advocates that too many people have been categorized as dangerous.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/19/ny...list.html?_r=0

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...jqzAGeTv8-pZMM

Be careful of what one wishes, you may get it good and hard. Progressivism is the political bowel movement to make-things-better, US suffering the consequences, intended and not.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-19-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    A newly created database of New Yorkers deemed too mentally unstable to carry firearms has grown to roughly 34,500 names, a previously undisclosed figure that has raised concerns among some mental health advocates that too many people have been categorized as dangerous.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/19/ny...list.html?_r=0

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...jqzAGeTv8-pZMM

Be careful of what one wishes, you may get it good and hard. Progressivism is the political bowel movement to make-things-better, US suffering the consequences, intended and not.
    I was always of the opinion that living in NY was prima facie evidence of mental illness. Or was that NJ? Hmmm, perhaps both?

"A newly created database of New Yorkers deemed too mentally unstable to carry firearms has grown to roughly 34,500 names, a previously undisclosed figure that has raised concerns among some mental health advocates that too many people have been categorized as dangerous."

Let's do some math:

Population of the State of New York (2013): 19,651,127
    Banned by mental health list: 34,500

Percent: 0.176%
    1 in: 570

So what are we saying, here?

Are we saying the idea that 1 in 570 people is too high a figure for mental incompetence with respect to owning a firearm? Or are we saying that any such rule is an infringement on our right to keep and bear arms?

The reason I'm asking is because personal experience has shown me that at least 1 out of 570 people (and probably higher) should not own or have access to a firearm. Hate to say it, but there's a lot of nutso-types out there. On the other hand, I believe that when the framers said "shall not be infringed," they meant "shall not be infringed."

I personally deplore such lists. I'd rather see zero restrictions on our right to keep and bear arms. Most people will still go about their business unarmed. But they'd be able to arm-up in a moment's notice, without suffering through the purchase and CHP waiting times. That alone is a deterrent. More people carrying is a deterrent. If there are village idiots out there, those who love them would see fit to ensure they're not carrying, because if they are and starting being irresponsible, waiving it around like an idiot, one of us might not know who they are or why they're pointing a firearm our way and we'd put a stop to it.

Personally, I believe the approach whereby family and friends watch over their own is more effective, more accurate, and far less onerous than allowing yet another government agency "watch list" to rule our lives. If the terrorist watch list is any indication, it will be well nigh impossible to get one's name removed from such a list should it ever be added in the first place.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

from what i read this appears to be more involved than just reporting them to the NICs database

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Banned
    Residents of NYC, russians...what's the difference?

The remedy to these onerous laws is a simple vote by the majority of the voters in the state of NY.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The remedy to these onerous laws is a simple vote by the majority of the voters in the state of NY.
    Or a vote of a minority within the jury box....much less than 50%.

Visiting family here in NYC and started to feel vulnerable when began packing for trip - no guns allowed at destination w/o felony, unless I am personal friends of mayor Bloomberg...

“Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Visiting family here in NYC and started to feel vulnerable when began packing for trip - no guns allowed at destination w/o felony, unless I am personal friends of mayor Bloomberg...

Watch those screwdrivers, too.

With the way you spread it, no cop could begin to suggest that a spackling knife was not a "tool of the trade" for you.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

walking this morning - National Guard getting weapons ready to keep the peeps safe in Grand Central Station

-Thomas Hobbes 1651

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    walking this morning - National Guard getting weapons ready to keep the peeps safe in Grand Central Station

You joined in their meeting, right? Having it right on the sidewalk and all. I've done that, even with cops huddling together. They get pissed! I tell them, next time have a meeting in their office, not at the sidewalk that's open to the public.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-27-2014 at 12:43 PM.

real convivial attitude today - all of the NY moms and kids talking to cops and soldiers - most of the muslim threats driving taxis and mentals seemed t/b taking the day off

-Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Residents of NYC, russians...what's the difference?
    The difference is Russia is expanding citizens right to carry.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodoandduck View Post
    The difference is Russia is expanding citizens right to carry.
    Hey-Oh ! Jab at commie NYC?