• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCOTUS Agrees To Take Case on Firearms vs. Property Rights

TFred

Just found out about this case today from the article, but it appears to me this could be a significant case.

I predict the gun-grabbers will inject all kinds of utterly false propaganda into this one, claiming that we are trying to put guns back into the hands of criminals.

User has opined many times on these boards that gun "ownership" is completely different from gun "possession." It looks like this case will ultimately decide whether or not that is true.

If they rule against the former gun-owner, how can any convicted felon ever own securities or mutual funds that are related to firearms or any weapons in general? Would they be forced to sell their stock in gun manufacturers? What about stocks in companies like Lockheed Martin, or Northrop Grumman, who manufacture weapon systems for the military? If ownership equals possession, why don't you need a background check to buy these securities? Sometimes it really astounds me how ridiculously stupid these gun-haters are.

TFred

Court weighs gun rights of felons

[snip]

It centers on Tony Henderson, a former U.S. Border Patrol agent who was charged with selling marijuana in 2006, and later convicted of a felony.

Federal law prohibits felons from possessing firearms, and Henderson turned 15 personal weapons over to the FBI while his case was pending.

Two years later, he submitted a bill of sale to the FBI, indicating that he had sold the guns to another man and asked the FBI to transfer them accordingly. The government refused, reasoning that doing so would amount to granting “constructive possession” of the guns to Henderson.​

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just wondering - will this go 2A or 5A?

Others who were prohibited from possessing firearms have nominated a FFL to act as their agent in disposing of their firearms, without incurring the wrath of ATF or FBI or local LEA. Wonder why the FBI would not let him do that?

stay safe.