• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to NoVA and OC

Sinkinfeelin

I hope this is the right area for introductions. If not feel free to move it to the appropriate area.

My GF and I moved to Alexandria (near Mount Vernon) from MD last June. Since the move we have both been interested in flexing our previously suppressed 2A rights. We, of course, want to be safe and smart about it so have progressed slowly which eventually led me to this site. She was not interested in OC at first but she recently has fallen in love with our new custom G34 and it may soon replace me in her heart. She may end up registering here before long.

We would love to learn from those here that would be willing to teach/advise. I may try to attend any events that occur anywhere near Alexandria. Additionally if anyone near us would like to meet up for some intro OC on the weekend I would be game.

I did do my first OC last Friday at the Magic Skillet on Richmond Hwy. It was wonderfully uneventful.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I hope this is the right area for introductions. If not feel free to move it to the appropriate area.

My GF and I moved to Alexandria (near Mount Vernon) from MD last June. Since the move we have both been interested in flexing our previously suppressed 2A rights. We, of course, want to be safe and smart about it so have progressed slowly which eventually led me to this site. She was not interested in OC at first but she recently has fallen in love with our new custom G34 and it may soon replace me in her heart. She may end up registering here before long.

We would love to learn from those here that would be willing to teach/advise. I may try to attend any events that occur anywhere near Alexandria. Additionally if anyone near us would like to meet up for some intro OC on the weekend I would be game.

I did do my first OC last Friday at the Magic Skillet on Richmond Hwy. It was wonderfully uneventful.

A hearty welcome to you, my fellow escapee from TPRofMaryland! I moved into Alexandria (near Seminary Hills) several years ago and have never felt so free. I have been openly carrying just about wherever I go and have not yet had an unpleasant experience. There are quite a few OCers in NoVA and while it has been a while since we have had a get-together, I'm hoping we can plan a meet-and-eat sometime soon. Keep in touch through this Virginia sub-forum or through the Virginia Events sub-forum.

Also, please consider becoming a member of the Virginia Citizens' Defense League (VCDL) at VCDL.ORG or, at least, sign up for their free VCDL email alerts.

If you haven't found a gun range at which to practice your skills, know that there are several in NoVA, including SharpShooters, Blue Ridge and, of course, the NRA Range. I would be happy to meet you at any of those ranges to put some holes in paper.

Again, "welcome aboard" to you and your girlfriend!

Last edited:

Sinkinfeelin

If you haven't found a gun range at which to practice your skills, know that there are several in NoVA, including SharpShooters, Blue Ridge and, of course, the NRA Range. I would be happy to meet you at any of those ranges to put some holes in paper.

Well we have both been getting into multi-gun competitive shooting so we have actually been making the long haul to Peacemaker National in WV. A bit of a drive but worth it :)

Although, it would be nice to find a nearby range for function testing or to zero something. How would rate SharpShooters? Affordable and relaxed? I avoid places that are too busy or make me buy their ammo on top of lane fees.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Indeed welcome to Virginia - liberating isn't it? :)

Second the motion on signing up for the free Va-Alerts and give thought to joining VCDL.
http://www.vcdl.org/

Our annual Lobby Day is Jan. 19, 2015. That is where we meet on the Capital grounds in Richmond, talk to our elected representatives, and make our voices heard.

va_tazdad

Welcome.

Although I do not live "north of the NI", (Thank God I escaped NOVA 30+ years ago) I welcome you to the land of the free. Your escape from MD was an intelligent move if you value your rights.

Please feel free to attend any events and know that you will be welcome anytime and especially on Lobby Day here in Richmond. There are many in NOVA that are ready, willing, and able to assist you in enjoying your Constitutional rights.

Also feel free to join those of us in Richmond any time you like for our weekly breakfasts or monthly dinners. You will find a wealth of information and friendship in this group state wide.

;>)

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Well we have both been getting into multi-gun competitive shooting so we have actually been making the long haul to Peacemaker National in WV. A bit of a drive but worth it :)

Although, it would be nice to find a nearby range for function testing or to zero something. How would rate SharpShooters? Affordable and relaxed? I avoid places that are too busy or make me buy their ammo on top of lane fees.

SharpShooters is the closest, being in Lorton. It's a decent range, you can bring your own ammo but they will inspect the ammo before you shoot, allows up to .30 caliber on the range, but no steel-jacketed or steel-core ammo. You cannot openly carry a loaded firearm into the building, firearms must remain unloaded until you are ON the range. Many more details at http://www.sharpshootersva.com/

They are a membership only range and offer a:

Monthly ($25);
6-Month ($150 - Unlimited Range Access in 1 hour increments);
Annual Membership ($285 - Unlimited Range Access in 1 hour increments and add up to 3 Household Family Members for $75 each).

The NRA Range is open to the public with very affordable hourly range fees. First time users pay a one-time Range Card fee of $10 after passing the range rules "test."

Blueridge Arsenal is in Chantilly and they charge $20/hour. See http://blueridgearsenal.com/

Hope this helps....

JamesCanby

Activist Member
There's also Silver Eagle Group in Ashburn, VA. That's where I usually shoot.

I haven't shot at SEG, but their range fees are highest of the several ranges cited so far, at $25/hour + $15 per additional person. (The other ranges also impose costs for additional people on the same lane.) Looks like a quality range, though, at least from their website.

There's another new range opening up in Prince William County, called Elite Shooting Sports, but I haven't seen their rates yet. They are scheduled to open the first week in November.

blahpony

I have a membership at Silver Eagle. It's $35/month. There is no charge for range time with that. Also some discounts on ammo and various other stuff.

I've also brought guests before, gave them a free guest pass card, and have them give the card back so I could use it again. :p

homestar

I have a membership at Silver Eagle. It's $35/month. There is no charge for range time with that. Also some discounts on ammo and various other stuff.

I've also brought guests before, gave them a free guest pass card, and have them give the card back so I could use it again. :p

I'll second SEG. I'm a member there too. Although it would be a bit of a haul from Alexandria...

Also, welcome to the forum!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't know any spots north of the Ni....but welcome to Va. At least moving to NOVA lessens the culture shock. :lol:

You might want to talk to James about some training. I usually recommend him up north and Proshooter here in the South.

Again, welcome to Va.

scouser

Also feel free to join those of us in Richmond any time you like for our weekly breakfasts or monthly dinners. You will find a wealth of information and friendship in this group state wide.

;>)

How long before our Richmond dinner threads start including car pool arrangements for the NoVa crowd who keep gracing us with their welcome presence

+1 on the welcome to OCDO and VA

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another welcopme to Free America. Do join VCDL as soon as you can scrape up the funds - either on line or at one of the local gun shows. Go hang out with the folks at the VCDL booth at the gun shows - it is easy to become a gun-show volunteer and you do not have to an "expert" about anything.

Forget waiting for those folks North of the Ni to get their act together about setting up a meet&greet. Pick a place, pick a day, decide if you want to start early (8-9AM for breakfast, 6-7 PM for dinner) or late (9-10AM for breakfast, 7-7:30 PM for dinner) and post a thread about it. There are a few who can be counted on to show, and those that miss it will have to read about how much fun it was.

stay safe.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to the Mount Vernon area! (Didn't want to repeat what others have said, and I live within walking distance of the estate, near MVHS.)

This area - from Belvoir to the beltway north, and from Belvoir through Woodbridge south, is very accepting of OC. I've been hear over ten years now, with no issues. And my dentist, my hairstylist, my auto mechanic, etc. are all nearby. In fact, from the beltway to Woodbridge, the only place I haven't carried is Costco, which makes you sign a membership agreement that covers 'no carry' from what I understand. I no longer go to Starbucks, Panera, Target, or AutoZone, but not because of local policies.

So if you all would like to meet for some OC this weekend, or for dinner sometime in the next few weeks, let us know. For some odd reason, we have this weekend unstructured!

PM me for an e-mail address or phone number if you'd like.

The Truth

How long before our Richmond dinner threads start including car pool arrangements for the NoVa crowd who keep gracing us with their welcome presence

+1 to this!

Welcome to The Old Dominion! Enjoy your new found freedom responsibly!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In spite of all the good-to-go info being given, you probanly ought to get a digital voice recorder if you do not already have one. Turn it on when you leave the house in the morning and turn it off after you are home for good for the day. With a SD card and a strong enough battery you could run it up to 96 hours and never miss a sound. While most days you will turn it off and erase everything, there might come a time when having it running will be comforting. (Ask some of us how we know.)

stay safe.

ResidentCelt

You can carry openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded when you enter the NRA range. And there is a new range probably due to open this week or next in Manassas. It's call Elite Shooting Sports.

Same goes for Blue Ridge Arsenal. They don't say anything about my loaded and chambered OC pistol when I've gone in there.

blahpony

Silver Eagle has never said anything about my OC. They just need to know if you plan to do holster work in the range so they can move the bench.