• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to NoVA and OC

user

Accomplished Advocate
Not hostile to immigration, you understand, but I've got a couple of nits to pick: First, Mount Vernon is in Fairfax County, and is nowhere near Alexandria. You may have an Alexandria post office address, but that's the address of the post office your mail goes through, not your address. Secondly, you've left an uncivilized, third-world country with a joke for a legal system ("it's not what you know but who you know") for one with a thousand-year old common law tradition that is pretty much implemented in a way that works. We know of a lot of crap that goes on in our legal system, and we bitch and moan about it from time to time, but, well, I'd rather be in Kenya than Maryland when it comes to integrity in the judicial system. I guess my point is that you need to understand that a cultural shift is required when you come to Virginia. If you've got that Yankee self-important arrogance thing going on, you're apt to get smacked. Leave that stuff on the other side of the Potomac. That cautionary note made, welcome to civilization, I hope you like it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Let me add that User is one of the most important people in NOVA if not the entire state, that you should meet and listen carefully to.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Let me add that User is one of the most important people in NOVA if not the entire state, that you should meet and listen carefully to.

Echoing Peter's comment about User:

He is the most knowledgeable and effective 2nd Amendment Rights attorney in the Commonwealth, and you should get to know him. His website (HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com) has some important pro bono documents that you should download, especially the "Letter to Law Enforcement." I keep a printed copy of that document in my wallet.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
User is a stalwart, faithful and true, believer. One could do worse, much worse, than to not heed his words.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Not hostile to immigration, you understand, but I've got a couple of nits to pick: First, Mount Vernon is in Fairfax County, and is nowhere near Alexandria. You may have an Alexandria post office address, but that's the address of the post office your mail goes through, not your address. Secondly, you've left an uncivilized, third-world country with a joke for a legal system ("it's not what you know but who you know") for one with a thousand-year old common law tradition that is pretty much implemented in a way that works. We know of a lot of crap that goes on in our legal system, and we bitch and moan about it from time to time, but, well, I'd rather be in Kenya than Maryland when it comes to integrity in the judicial system. I guess my point is that you need to understand that a cultural shift is required when you come to Virginia. If you've got that Yankee self-important arrogance thing going on, you're apt to get smacked. Leave that stuff on the other side of the Potomac. That cautionary note made, welcome to civilization, I hope you like it.

I have said and written this, in a little different verbiage so many times. And on occasion, I get a little static about it. But the last thing we want is Maryland or New Jersey or New York on this side of the Potomac. Keeping Virginia, Virginia is everything. Unfortunately, we've already lost the northern part of the state. God help us save the rest of it.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
OK, folks, it's short notice, but we're meeting for dinner tomorrow night (Oct 25) at 6PM at El Paso Restaurant, 8746 Cooper Road, (Lower) Alexandria. Any who would like to join us are welcome, of course. I'll reach out off-list to those I know who live in the area.

The restaurant isn't huge, so if you plan to attend, please let me know so we can get a table that will accommodate all of us.

JohnM15A

SharpShooters is the closest, being in Lorton. It's a decent range, you can bring your own ammo but they will inspect the ammo before you shoot, allows up to .30 caliber on the range, but no steel-jacketed or steel-core ammo.

Hmmm, I shoot my 45ACPs there whenever I go there...

JohnM15A

OK, finally read through all the posts after posting the above two posts...

Welcome!! I'm down here in Woodbridge and the wife and I will be at the dinner, so we will see you there.

I am also new to OC as I have only been carrying for two years. I OC everywhere I go down here in Hoodbridge and have only had a few folks that were persnickety, both this year.

First was at the Springfield Metro. I was picking up a couple of Studebaker friends there and some older lady with a foreign accent asked me who I was going to shoot with my gun. I told her "criminals" She then said "What if he takes the gun from you" and I responded with "I don't think that will happen". She, of course does have a point. Blackhawk just came out with a SERPA for the XDs so that sort of thing will be less likely.

The second was last week. I was eating lunch at Brixx in Woodbridge when the server asked me if I had an open carry permit. The two 20 somethings servers got VCDL cards and a lesson on carry. They were woefully misinformed on so many things...

I have gotten many thumbs up on carry. Seems that people really do think we should be able to protect ourselves... Carry on.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
SharpShooters is the closest, being in Lorton. It's a decent range, you can bring your own ammo but they will inspect the ammo before you shoot, allows up to .30 caliber on the range, but no steel-jacketed or steel-core ammo. You cannot openly carry a loaded firearm into the building, firearms must remain unloaded until you are ON the range. Many more details at http://www.sharpshootersva.com/

Is this new?

I've shot at SharpShooters (and its predecessor business) since I moved to this area 10 years ago, and have never had them inspect ammo. But while I used to have an annual membership, I find it no longer to my benefit, and I don't like a lot of their newer policies.

Most recently, I was informed that although my holstered handgun was empty, and I had no problem showing it to be so, the help insisted the slide had to be locked back - which meant the firearm no longer fit properly in the holster. I was livid, but on that particular trip, I had a newbie New Englander with me on her first firearms experience, and couldn't afford to lose the opportunity.

JohnM15A

Is this new?

I've shot at SharpShooters (and its predecessor business) since I moved to this area 10 years ago, and have never had them inspect ammo. But while I used to have an annual membership, I find it no longer to my benefit, and I don't like a lot of their newer policies.

Most recently, I was informed that although my holstered handgun was empty, and I had no problem showing it to be so, the help insisted the slide had to be locked back - which meant the firearm no longer fit properly in the holster. I was livid, but on that particular trip, I had a newbie New Englander with me on her first firearms experience, and couldn't afford to lose the opportunity.

The ammo inspection is hit or miss. I've had them inspect and not. Sometimes they would ask what I was shooting. I usually put a ty-wrap threw mine and not lock back the slide. Hit or miss here also.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Really enjoyed dinner tonight. Thanks to all the folks who could come out on short notice. Good to see friends old and new.

zoom6zoom

There's another new range opening up in Prince William County, called Elite Shooting Sports, but I haven't seen their rates yet. They are scheduled to open the first week in November.

http://www.eliteshootingsports.com/
They have been posting a lot of updates on their progress in the Virginia Hometown forum on arfcom. Rates and details are on their webpage.