Thread: Pennsylvania House moves to expand gun rights

Pennsylvania House moves to expand gun rights

Pennsylvania House moves to expand gun rights, keep pigeon shoots

It is an important preemption bill. It allows the pro-gun groups like the NRA to challenge in court local and city gun control ordinances when they are stronger than Pennsylvania's own laws. The Governor is expected to sign it over the objections of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh mayors.

http://www.guns.com/2014/10/21/penns...-shoots-video/

"The gun rights bill, an amendment to HB 80, an item of metal theft legislation, had passed the state Senate last week by wide margins. It allows groups such as the National Rifle Association to stand in for local citizens in challenging gun city and county control ordinances stronger than the state’s own laws in court.

The move sailed through the House in an easy 138-56 vote Monday, the last day of the two-year session."

Last edited by Midwest; 10-21-2014 at 01:45 PM.
    I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

Banned
    Holy crapolla...one that actually does expand something instead of just removing a tyrannical violation of RKBA.

It gives certain groups legal standing to file suits.

Is that good or bad? I think its bad really .. now the NRA is going to be able to file cases before citizens can ... where before a citizen can control the suit and ask for relief and now the NRA will.

The NRA and libertarians don't see eye to eye on all gun issues....

I see unintended consequences, that's all.

The NRA can always be added as a intervener sometimes or file friend of the court briefs...

No, the NRA, or a group like it, cannot act on its own, it must be supporting a citizen of PA.

I would offer fancy cites and quotes but the capabilities seem to be beyond my phone.
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

Looks like it has been signed into law, to take effect in 60 days. Congrats Penn.!
    http://gunssavelives.net/blog/gun-la...tion-into-law/

Just wanted to add this question: Wonder if it is too early to put local law makers on notice of violations against this preemption?

Quote Originally Posted by willy1094 View Post
    Just wanted to add this question: Wonder if it is too early to put local law makers on notice of violations against this preemption?
    There is a group (google AMGOA) already working on this. They have feelers out for smaller municipalities that may be in violation. The idea is to start small and write letters, gather some good wins without harsh fighting. Then when they need to go to places like Philly, which have already promised to fight back, we will have a history of wins behind us as an example.

Still, this doesn't go into effect until 60 days after signing, but some townships are already making noise about the changing their ordinances to bring themselves into compliance.
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

While they're at it why not reign in PA's rogue Attorney General? He's been demanding "no non-resident permits" restrictions to renew reciprocity agreements, which is not supported by PA law.