• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pennsylvania House moves to expand gun rights

Midwest

Pennsylvania House moves to expand gun rights, keep pigeon shoots

It is an important preemption bill. It allows the pro-gun groups like the NRA to challenge in court local and city gun control ordinances when they are stronger than Pennsylvania's own laws. The Governor is expected to sign it over the objections of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh mayors.

http://www.guns.com/2014/10/21/penn...o-expand-gun-rights-keep-pigeon-shoots-video/

"The gun rights bill, an amendment to HB 80, an item of metal theft legislation, had passed the state Senate last week by wide margins. It allows groups such as the National Rifle Association to stand in for local citizens in challenging gun city and county control ordinances stronger than the state’s own laws in court.

The move sailed through the House in an easy 138-56 vote Monday, the last day of the two-year session."

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Holy crapolla...one that actually does expand something instead of just removing a tyrannical violation of RKBA.

It gives certain groups legal standing to file suits.

Is that good or bad? I think its bad really .. now the NRA is going to be able to file cases before citizens can ... where before a citizen can control the suit and ask for relief and now the NRA will.

The NRA and libertarians don't see eye to eye on all gun issues....

I see unintended consequences, that's all.

The NRA can always be added as a intervener sometimes or file friend of the court briefs...

Curmudgeon

No, the NRA, or a group like it, cannot act on its own, it must be supporting a citizen of PA.

I would offer fancy cites and quotes but the capabilities seem to be beyond my phone.

willy1094

Just wanted to add this question: Wonder if it is too early to put local law makers on notice of violations against this preemption?

Curmudgeon

Just wanted to add this question: Wonder if it is too early to put local law makers on notice of violations against this preemption?
There is a group (google AMGOA) already working on this. They have feelers out for smaller municipalities that may be in violation. The idea is to start small and write letters, gather some good wins without harsh fighting. Then when they need to go to places like Philly, which have already promised to fight back, we will have a history of wins behind us as an example.

Still, this doesn't go into effect until 60 days after signing, but some townships are already making noise about the changing their ordinances to bring themselves into compliance.

randian

While they're at it why not reign in PA's rogue Attorney General? He's been demanding "no non-resident permits" restrictions to renew reciprocity agreements, which is not supported by PA law.