• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M&P owners, ever have this happen?

USNVet

I recently purchased a new M&P.40. I chose this model as I used one a few years back while attending a training course. After putting 600 rounds thru it in a day, It was the most accurate shooting I have accomplished with any handgun.

I have put around 400 rounds down range in the few weeks since purchasing. I've had 2 issues that I'm wondering if others have seen with the M&P.

1. IMO the magazine seems to require a pretty aggressive slap to lock in place. On a few occasions the magazine was not locked in place and when racked did not therefore chamber a round.
2. With the slide locked back, and inserting a loaded mag, when slapped aggressively to make sure it locks in, the slide will slam closed on its own from slapping in the mag.

Both issues happened at a range, and the firearm was pointed in a safe direction down range. I just completed a CC course and asked the instructor if it was okay when given the load command, to release the slide and then insert mag and rack. I didn't want the instructors to freak out on the range if they saw me not following their direction. Twice mag did not lock.

Is this maybe somewhat normal when new? I'm hoping it may be attributed to being somewhat "stiff" being a new firearm, and maybe it will not be an issue.
Maybe I'm missing some area that needs some lube. I did clean and lube before firing the first time and clean it after use.

In a defensive situation It would be bad if slapping in a second mag and it did not lock in properly and fail to chamber a round. I can live with the slide closing on its own due to whacking it in too aggressively. It's better than not picking up a round.

mark-in-texas

I shoot an m&p 9 in idpa competition. Is the mag hard to lock in when full or partial? Original capacity or politically limited mag? Full mags either 10 rounders or full are usually harder to seat. You may be right about new gun break in though. About the slide, I believe that was actually a feature of the "Pro" series pistols. Mine doesn't do it, but I've seen some that do with other shooters during IDPA matches. Overall, I'm very pleased with mine. Shot about 2000 rounds so far. Even carry a Shield for my EDC.

Fallschirjmäger

1. IMO the magazine seems to require a pretty aggressive slap to lock in place. On a few occasions the magazine was not locked in place and when racked did not therefore chamber a round.
2. With the slide locked back, and inserting a loaded mag, when slapped aggressively to make sure it locks in, the slide will slam closed on its own from slapping in the mag.
1) I would guess this happens mostly when the slide is in the forward position (elsewise there isn't much to resist the magazine being inserted. If so, it's caused by the top round in the magazine being pressed against the bottom of the slide and you're fighting against the spring pressure of the loaded magazine. If you're loading the chamber, then loading a full magazine you're always going to have this happen. Become used to it, or load the magazine and chamber a round from there (without going +1).

2) It's almost famous for this happening on the M&P. So much that if it doesn't happen, it's remarkable. Many people think it's partially caused by the leverage available because of the extended 'toe' of the M&P magazine. Replacing the FS magazine pad with the magazine pad from the Compact seems to help, as does trimming the FS magazine straight across just in front of the magazine body (ghetto, but it works.)
If you go with the 'replace basepad' route, be aware that there are now two generations of basepad retainer, one with a round peg and one with a square. (I have a mix, hence my using both methods.)

For what it's worth, in 4 years of shooting I've never had the slide not pick up a round when reloading and the slide 'auto forwards'.

Last edited:

J_dazzle23

Both of the things you are describing are common, the second one is actually designed into the gun, from what I've been told.

The Truth

Both of the things you are describing are common, the second one is actually designed into the gun, from what I've been told.

That's actually kinda cool for a combat gun IMO. EDC, meh. I would want to practice with it a bunch. Could be cool, may be annoying. I don't know why but I've never been tempted by an M&P. Maybe if they made a 10mm...

J_dazzle23

That's actually kinda cool for a combat gun IMO. EDC, meh. I would want to practice with it a bunch. Could be cool, may be annoying. I don't know why but I've never been tempted by an M&P. Maybe if they made a 10mm...
That would be sweet. my wife really liked the sheild, and the auto chamber feature is something I really like for her, it's just another thing to make it all simple.

That being said, there is something for training to use all striker fired pistols, just in case you might end up needing to operate a glock or a springfield, etc..

USNVet

mags are 15 round

The three mags that came with it are 15 round mags. Empty or full they need a pretty positive whack to lock them in.

I can live with the slide closing on its own. I'd rather slap the mag in firmly and have it chamber a round on its own then be too light a touch and have it not pick up a round. I'm very comfortable with it and love the ergonomics and interchangeable back strap/grip. I didn't have it a week and added a crimson trace grip that is very comfortable as well and requires no special holster to accommodate like the rail mounted laser sights. I dialed in the laser for 15' and tested accuracy at 30' as well.
Dead on at 15', grouping at 30' is maybe an inch right. I can live with that.

15%20feet.jpg

Last edited:

Grim_Night

I own an M&P .40. Yes, the mag is a little harder to load but I knew this from day 1 and I just got use to it. When loading a fresh/full mag, I simply just push it in harder till I hear and feel the "click". But it only happens when the slide is in the forward position, not when the slide is locked back and only when the mag is full. If the mag is only loaded with 11-12 rounds, it loads easier without as much pressure required.

As for the auto release of the slide, I have never had it happen in 2 years of owning the firearm.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
You have me curious, now. I have an M&P 40 4.25" barrel. I'll take it out and see if it does what yours does. It's been a little while since I shot it but as I remember, I had no such "problems" as you have described. This gun is four years old.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Pulled out my M&P 40, which I purchased five not four years ago this December, and loaded fifteen rounds into the magazine. I then inserted the mag as I would normally with the slide locked open. It ran to home with no added pressure on the base plate. I then did the same thing but with the slide in battery. Once again, no extra force needed to load the magazine. So mine works fine as is and doesn't require any unusual force to be seated.