• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just moved here from new york

GeorgeZip

I'm relatively new to NC...transplant from NJ 2.5 yrs ago (not going back ever) and am new to gun ownership. Have to see I feel very good. Can't wait to take an intro class, get familiar and then get the CCP. Can't wait to read through all these NC stories...the banter is fantastic!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm relatively new to NC...transplant from NJ 2.5 yrs ago (not going back ever) and am new to gun ownership. Have to see I feel very good. Can't wait to take an intro class, get familiar and then get the CCP. Can't wait to read through all these NC stories...the banter is fantastic!

Welcome aboard George! Presuming you are of legal age and not otherwise restricted, you may open carry w/o a permit in many places.

You will want to become familiar with the nuances of the laws and where self-defense tools are legal.
Start with the stickies on the NC sub-forum and work your way down the list. Best wishes.

WalkingWolf

Welcome aboard George! Presuming you are of legal age and not otherwise restricted, you may open carry w/o a permit in many places.

You will want to become familiar with the nuances of the laws and where self-defense tools are legal.
Start with the stickies on the NC sub-forum and work your way down the list. Best wishes.

Here in NC he will have a long wait for a CHP, most counties accept applications by appointment. That can take several months, and then the CHP itself after application has been delivered and the dept receives all the information takes around 5 weeks.

solus

george welcome, but, uh, you do know y'al are on an open carry forum, and as such, after 2.5 years being in wake county, i am sure you know you do not need a CHPermit to open carry in the TarHeel state?

that said, if you intend to OC instead of wasting your precious money on a CHP, run down to the wake county firing range in apex and sign up for one of their basic pistol classes which should give you more than enough background to purchase your firearm after you get a PPP from the Wake county sheriff's office IAW NC statutes 14-402-402.

wake county range: http://www.wakegov.com/sheriff/services/firingrange/Pages/default.aspx

your kind attention is directed to post 18 of this thread for the AG's and NC statute link.

again welcome and look forward to your active participation in the forums.

ipse

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Hey Look ! It's George Zip ... I am not kidding ... George Zip !

Welcome to the forum George.

Grate moniker !

WalkingWolf

no i do not was going to go today its my first day off in a while so was gonna try to get everything done today

Good luck, the waiting period for a PPP used to be only about a week, but may be much longer now. If you do not want to wait you can buy a 1858 Remington replica, and it will be shipped to your door. Then all you will need is black powder, caps, balls, and some beeswax to seal the end of the cylinders. You can be up and carrying in a week until you get your PPP for a modern handgun. Don't underestimate a BP revolver, they are very capable of lethal force. Most people will assume you are carrying a modern single action revolver, can't tell much difference when the gun is in the holster.

I have carried BP revolvers in the past, sometimes I still do. The only reason I do not carry one much anymore it that IF in the unlikely chance I would use one the gun would pretty much be junk. BP must be cleaned forthwith or they rust to junk. This happens very quickly, and before you would ever get the gun back after a SD shooting. Most cases you could count on your weapon being seized for evidence.

Also technically antique firearms are exempt from GFSZA because only firearms are mentioned in the federal law. In federal law a antique is not a firearm. That does not mean some cop will not hassle you though because they see the gun on your hip in a zone.

ron73440

You don't need a CHP, don't ask permission to excersise a right.