• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just moved here from new york

Nemzfredom

Hello everyone,
I just moved here from New York and want to open carry handgun but i am uncertain to the steps i need to take. do i need to get a permit or anyhting special to open carry a handgun?

The Truth

Step 1: Install holster on belt.

Step 2: Place weapon into holster.

Step 3: Enjoy your new found freedom!

Congratulations, sir! Welcome to the forum.

Primus

Step 1: Install holster on belt.

Step 2: Place weapon into holster.

Step 3: Enjoy your new found freedom!

Congratulations, sir! Welcome to the forum.
I think your missing the buy gun and buy holster steps.... Also he may not even wear a belt. What then? :D

The Truth

I think your missing the buy gun and buy holster steps.... Also he may not even wear a belt. What then? :D

I figger'd I'd give 'im the abridged version to avoid any confusion :lol:

Step -2: Buy a gun.

Step -1: Buy a belt.

Step 0: Buy a holster.

325rto

If you need to purchase a handgun, you will need to go to the local sheriff's office and apply for the pistol purchase permits.
The North Carolina forum has a sticky thread posted with a flyer that is informative can be printed.
Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly to answer your questions.
Welcome to NC.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh, heck! Everybody else seems to have forgotten the important things -

1 - Welcome to Free America

2 - you can have 30caliberbulletclip magazines that hold more than seven rounds

3 - OC is pretty much "Just Do it" but without the swoosh. Do check the links given for the places where your gun is not welcome.

4 - Stay out of the BBQ comparison discussions. If you go there you will be sucked into sugar in cornbread/no sugar in cornbread via the sweet tea/unsweet tea battles (which are further divided into enough sugar to rot your teeth/just enough sugar to be pleasant)

stay safe.

The Truth

Oh, heck! Everybody else seems to have forgotten the important things -

1 - Welcome to Free America

2 - you can have 30caliberbulletclip magazines that hold more than seven rounds

3 - OC is pretty much "Just Do it" but without the swoosh. Do check the links given for the places where your gun is not welcome.

4 - Stay out of the BBQ comparison discussions. If you go there you will be sucked into sugar in cornbread/no sugar in cornbread via the sweet tea/unsweet tea battles (which are further divided into enough sugar to rot your teeth/just enough sugar to be pleasant)

stay safe.

Tea with a lil' sugar in it ain't sweet tea!

solus

Nemzfredom, welcome to the tarheel state...

since nobody else has provided reading material, allow me:

NC Attorney General's firearm overview of good reading to provide an oversight of current climate in the state. section III D O/A page 22 covers transportation of weapons in vehicles.

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

if you are really bored, here is the link to the NC statutes ~ excellent search in upper right side:

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp

notice in both areas there is no discussion about OC'g do or don't provisions. however, the little handout at the top of our sub-forum some excellent information.

if you have lurked out here long enough, you know to not listen to nor take advice from anybody, especially LE et al., but your attorney...

one other quirk about NC ~ as mentioned IAW NC statute 14-402-406 (http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_52A.pdf) you must get a PPP from the county sheriff's office $5/per and you can get 5 at a time which are good for 5 years. theoretically, the FFL is exempt from running through the FBI's NICS background check. (however, some FFLs still run the NICS ck if the PPP is older than a year to assure you haven't done something bad and lost your opportunity to purchase a firearm. some citizens do not wish to keep a wad of PPPs in their pockets so they get their concealed handgun permit, AKA CHP which also exempts the FFL from running a NICS bkgnd check on you. again, some FFLs do insist on running the ck if the buyer's CHP is older than a year.

browse this sub-forum to your heart's content as i think you will discern the majority of the firearm queries pertaining to NC have been sliced, diced, chewed, regurgitation, and argued to dust about till i believe we have broken scientific laws as we have succeeded in changing the form of matter till it disappears. :eek:

again sugg, welcome to the model OC'g state...

(while not stepping directly into the fracas but throwing the grenade w/o pulling the pin ~ NC's BBQ is sauced with vinegar and other strange commodities and the state's drink of choice, sickening sweet tea, sucks)

ipse

Last edited: