• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun Missouri Senator arrested, with a gun

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
The old law was HORRIBLY written

It was something to the effect of:

"possession while intoxicated" however "intoxicated" and "possession" were BOTH undefined and this was indeed a felony firearms charge.

Basically, if you were having a beer on your porch and had an unloaded, disassembled and broken firearm locked inside the house in a locked safe you could be charged and convicted under the old law.

Now I am going to come to her defense at this point because we are all equal under the law and despite the fact that she voted against every single protection afforded to her does not limit their existence.

1. "Thought to be under the influence" well I am certainly not going to jump up and holler that the popo has this right because frankly it is just an often used LIE BY LAW ENFORCEMENT to go fishing for more, they are trained to use it. I have had them tell me I seemed to have been drinking and smelled like it when nothing but coffee and water had entered my body for MONTHS. Nothing about them putting it into their reports that they thought she might be drinking validates it in any way what so ever.

2. Have you EVER heard this woman speak unscripted? Seriously, she might do ok on TV sometimes but if you go to a committee hearing where she speaks without a speech writer, you would swear she was drunk, high, on crack, on meth, on heroin, and sniffing glue all at the same time. I am not kidding you, it is hard to believe this woman is not actually legally retarded so if the cops do not know her already, it would be real easy to think she was impaired because of her idiotic behaviors and comments.

3. She was not handling her firearm on any reports I have seen and the law is clear, intoxicated and handling in a negligent manner is what puts a person in violation.

As far as the breathalyzer goes...FOR WHAT? In MO there is no public drunkenness law, she was not driving, she was not handling her firearm, what exactly were the cops fishing for? An opportunity to lie about what happened during the arrest and then be able to discredit any complaint with "proof" she was drunk and is not remembering correctly?

Sorry, I think she is a **** as a politician, a total idiot lacking even average intelligence as a person, and a person with exactly the same protections under law as myself and this would be one of the few times ever she conducted herself wisely.

I do still however think it is quite funny her drunk butt got swooped up by the popo for sitting in the street and refusing to move when ordered exposing her hypocritical position on guns, that is classic! She has done that in hearings at the capitol, even pointing out to everyone in the room her firearm, I am telling you, this is a live and in front of you idiot to be observed for true comic relief.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Not to exceed 35 bucks. If it is a ticket, go to the cop shop and pay it like a parking ticket.

Not a criminal action is clearly defined, 571.121.1

"Failure to comply with this subsection shall not be a criminal offense but the concealed carry permit or endorsement holder may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed thirty-five dollars."

I would offer it is substantially LESS than a parking ticket and is one of the BETTER aspects to the MO CCW laws. Makes it VERY clear there is no path what so ever to turn it into a criminal action and arrest.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
It was something to the effect of:

"possession while intoxicated" however "intoxicated" and "possession" were BOTH undefined and this was indeed a felony firearms charge.
That is substantially as I recall. I have a printout of 571 from back when I took my CCW class back in '06. There was discussion in the class about the issue and the lack of definition.

kylemoul

As long as you do not use the firearm is a negligent manner, you are breaking no law as RSMO is written. I carry when drinking all the time. There is even an exception to the penalty of subsection 5 that covers you if you needed to discharge in self defense.

OC for ME

As long as you do not use the firearm is a negligent manner, you are breaking no law as RSMO is written. I carry when drinking all the time. There is even an exception to the penalty of subsection 5 that covers you if you needed to discharge in self defense.
I'd put a comma or two in there if I were you...
I carry, when drinking, all the time.
;)