Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mother arrested for defending children

Mother arrested for defending children

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-school-event/

I feel safer knowing they arrested her. Such heroes cops are. How just our lawmakers!
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

who knew she didnt get all the snakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Banned
    The snakes? They were part of the staff !

Not guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The snakes? They were part of the staff !

Not guilty.
    For once you are spot on! And funny to boot! OUTSTANDING
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

From the comments section:

"The bigger ******* was the LEO who arrested her. We no longer live in a world where officers with a badge can think through a situation…X happen so Y is the rule and Z is the course of action. All the evidence you need to determine police are not interested in serving the public but like ALL businesses it’s about generating revenue. Lock her up, impound the gun, set bail, court appearance, probation, parole officer, record keeping and meetings. Meanwhile gangs roam & rule streets, humans are shot and robbed.

Welcome to the mindless law enforcement, judicial, correction & probation money machine."
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post

"The bigger ******* was the LEO who arrested her. We no longer live in a world where officers with a badge can think through a situation…X happen so Y is the rule and Z is the course of action. All the evidence you need to determine police are not interested in serving the public but like ALL businesses it’s about generating revenue. Lock her up, impound the gun, set bail, court appearance, probation, parole officer, record keeping and meetings. Meanwhile gangs roam & rule streets, humans are shot and robbed.

Welcome to the mindless law enforcement, judicial, correction & probation money machine."
    Question: If it were the LEO that had discharged the weapon during this "school activity" would said officer be facing the same charges?

No? WHY?

Oh, NO, I don't accept any law that grants the LEO any special privilege on this than what is allowed anyone else! No Double Standard!

ETA: Second issue! Federal law issue without respect to any state law----

The so called FGFSZ law does allow one to carry on the school grounds if one is permitted by the state in which the school lays; BUT, it still is a violation of this law to discharge said firearm for any reason while within 1000ft of the school property!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 10-21-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

I have to differ with the prevailing opinion. There was no cause to kill the snake - it was not presenting an imminent and grave danger (such as cornering a child or person in a confined area). The woman was also warned.

In fact here is precisely why 'no firearms on school property' would be a good and beneficial thing - because reckless behavior like this can occur. Let's face it - the woman was reckless and headstrong. I don't think 'arrest' is the right reaction, though.

The prudent thing would have been to call animal control and had the creature removed from the area. IMO, there was no cause to kill it, but some people see snakes as the embodiment of evil. They are predators which do good, such as control rodent populations.

I do agree that the cop should have found a way to use discretion, perhaps a stern lecture about ricochets and the proper use of animal control. Instead he made himself look foolish, cause loss of respect for the police and missed a teaching opportunity.

Maybe cops should adopt a new credo. Not 'protect and serve', but instead, 'what would Andy Griffith do'. (WWAD).
    Last edited by Maverick9; 10-21-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Zero tolerance. No defensive weapons allowed in our victim zones!
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

I've been holding off overnight to figure out how I want to respond. I've convinved myself that any res[ponse I make needs to be in 2 parts:

1 - regardless of your irrational fear of snakes as snakes, there was no immediate threat and more than ample time for someone to call and be told that Animal Control had no interest in coming to remove the snake. By which time practice most likely would have been well over and the kids finally sent home, and someone could have gone home and brought back the weapon of choice for use against snakes - the common shovel.

2 - the whole story just seems to have too many holes to be able to support any notion that anybody there above the age of 10 was actually thinking. Counting the ways* would only expose me to the great possibility of missing some. But one needs to be addressed - the lady shooter was in possession of a valid concealed license/permit but was herself unarmed.

I find myself in the monority, and proudly so, regarding this fiasco. There was no need to shoot and the cops' response (seeing as how they did not pepper-spray or taser her) seems reasonable under the circumstances.

stay safe.

* - but "bringing a stick to a snake fight" is really, really trying to get out of my head and into this post. I shall struggle to keep it contained.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

http://www.newsherald.com/news/crime...1.387442?tc=cr

This seems to be a more detailed account of the incident.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I've been holding off overnight to figure out how I want to respond. I've convinved myself that any res[ponse I make needs to be in 2 parts:

1 - regardless of your irrational fear of snakes as snakes, there was no immediate threat and more than ample time for someone to call and be told that Animal Control had no interest in coming to remove the snake. By which time practice most likely would have been well over and the kids finally sent home, and someone could have gone home and brought back the weapon of choice for use against snakes - the common shovel.

2 - the whole story just seems to have too many holes to be able to support any notion that anybody there above the age of 10 was actually thinking. Counting the ways* would only expose me to the great possibility of missing some. But one needs to be addressed - the lady shooter was in possession of a valid concealed license/permit but was herself unarmed.

I find myself in the monority, and proudly so, regarding this fiasco. There was no need to shoot and the cops' response (seeing as how they did not pepper-spray or taser her) seems reasonable under the circumstances.

stay safe.

* - but "bringing a stick to a snake fight" is really, really trying to get out of my head and into this post. I shall struggle to keep it contained.
    I don't think the female in question even had a permit. She borrowed the gun from someone who did then then shot at the snake. So no permit and discharge of the firearm.

I may be wrong but that's how it reads to me.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

LOL Eddie Eagle for snakes, like guns, avoid them rather than screw with them. Definitely city folk. I'm glad that I'm old because after the next reconstitution of civilization this world is gonna be dull and grey.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post

Quoted for truth! AMEN! +1
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Same response if the cute little cottonmouth was a small alligator with babyteeth?

“Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Same response if the cute little cottonmouth was a small alligator with babyteeth?

From me? Yes, same response. And again the same response if it was a 28-foot long SharkGator (unless it was shooting the lasers in its head).

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Play stupid games won stupid prizes.

Borrow your friends gun when you don't have a license to shoot at a snake that isn't harming anyone in front of a crowd of kids and parents after someone warns you it's a bad idea.

Genius....
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Play stupid games won stupid prizes.

Borrow your friends gun when you don't have a license to shoot at a snake that isn't harming anyone in front of a crowd of kids and parents after someone warns you it's a bad idea.

Genius....
    In your Amerika everyone asks the government for help for everything. Some choose to be more responsible for themselves. No one was harmed in the incident. The "law" may have been broken but the law certainly was not. We are aware that some do not understand such a distinction and we're paying for it, dearly.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    In your Amerika everyone asks the government for help for everything. Some choose to be more responsible for themselves. No one was harmed in the incident. The "law" may have been broken but the law certainly was not. We are aware that some do not understand such a distinction and we're paying for it, dearly.
    No your right.... She should be able to zing as many magazines as she wanta with kids and parents around. Not a big deal till a kid gets zinged. Then we should worry...

She could have fended for herself easily. Its called .....wait for it..... Walking away......

No your right.... She should be able to zing as many magazines as she wanta with kids and parents around. Not a big deal till a kid gets zinged. Then we should worry...

She could have fended for herself easily. Its called .....wait for it..... Walking away......
    Yeah, that's not what I said. And no one was hurt. If a cop had unloaded AND hurt someone there would be no charges, yet we will spend a good deal of $ going after this woman.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar

Thumbs up

Yeah, that's not what I said. And no one was hurt. If a cop had unloaded AND hurt someone there would be no charges, yet we will spend a good deal of $ going after this woman.
    Exactly. She did not put anyone in danger. She made a fool out of her self for missing. But the idea that this event was somehow of any importance at all is stupid. Society has made guns out to being akin to unstable sorcery and gun owners support the idea because it stroke's their ego.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

If.... If you saw a unicorn.... If I won the lottery.... If I fell down and broke my spleen.... All irrelevant.

Again "no one was hurt". So as I said, everything is fine until a kid gets zinged. Sorry I'd rather not wait until then.

LOL Preemption and preemptive action writ small, thoughtless with zero-tolerance.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Favorite comment on the article: "Could also call the cops, and tell them it’s really short but aggressive dog…"
    Han shot first.

If.... If you saw a unicorn.... If I won the lottery.... If I fell down and broke my spleen.... All irrelevant.

Again "no one was hurt". So as I said, everything is fine until a kid gets zinged. Sorry I'd rather not wait until then.
    Hyperbole...again. If the unthinkable were to have happened I'm confident that additional charges would've been applied. As it stands now she may be nothing more than a simple felon.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Hyperbole...again. If the unthinkable were to have happened I'm confident that additional charges would've been applied. As it stands now she may be nothing more than a simple felon.
    Again.. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. She knew she didn't have a license and could be in trouble for it. She was even warned it wasn't a good idea. She disregarded good advice for what? Target practice? I'm assuming (may be wrong) that she was smart enough to realize shooting the gun in front of parents and kids on school property at a school function was a bad idea. But again... I'm assuming she had intelligence.

Tough to feel bad for her.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast