• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mother arrested for defending children

waskel

Favorite comment on the article: "Could also call the cops, and tell them it’s really short but aggressive dog…"

OC for ME

If.... If you saw a unicorn.... If I won the lottery.... If I fell down and broke my spleen.... All irrelevant.

Again "no one was hurt". So as I said, everything is fine until a kid gets zinged. Sorry I'd rather not wait until then.
Hyperbole...again. If the unthinkable were to have happened I'm confident that additional charges would've been applied. As it stands now she may be nothing more than a simple felon.

Primus

Hyperbole...again. If the unthinkable were to have happened I'm confident that additional charges would've been applied. As it stands now she may be nothing more than a simple felon.
Again.. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. She knew she didn't have a license and could be in trouble for it. She was even warned it wasn't a good idea. She disregarded good advice for what? Target practice? I'm assuming (may be wrong) that she was smart enough to realize shooting the gun in front of parents and kids on school property at a school function was a bad idea. But again... I'm assuming she had intelligence.

Tough to feel bad for her.

OC for ME

Again.. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. She knew she didn't have a license and could be in trouble for it. She was even warned it wasn't a good idea. She disregarded good advice for what? Target practice? I'm assuming (may be wrong) that she was smart enough to realize shooting the gun in front of parents and kids on school property at a school function was a bad idea. But again... I'm assuming she had intelligence.

No disagreements with the charges as they stand now. Your continued appeals to emotion must be highlighted at every opportunity.

Primus

No disagreements with the charges as they stand now. Your continued appeals to emotion must be highlighted at every opportunity.
If my emotion was pity for the dumb lady then it'd be cheered. If my emotion is for other innocent citizens then its held in contempt. Who wudda thunk. :D

wittmeba

Why couldn't this be treated as "I felt threatened for my life"? Then any rights to self defense should be applied. All she would need to indicate is it lunged at her and she shot it. Simple.

OC for ME

If my emotion was pity for the dumb lady then it'd be cheered. If my emotion is for other innocent citizens then its held in contempt. Who wudda thunk. :D
Come down off the cross you hoisted yourself onto. You are correct regarding to op, she deserves the consequences of her actions. Right is right, you're right, appeals to emotion will not make you more right-er.

OC for ME

Why couldn't this be treated as "I felt threatened for my life"? Then any rights to self defense should be applied. All she would need to indicate is it lunged at her and she shot it. Simple.
Sadly, she thinking she is doing the right thing, and in my view she was, her acts were contrary to the law. We don't have to like the law, it is what it is. Work to change the law. Until then cops will arrest folks for doing the right thing because the right thing is against the law. She was warned, kind of, and should have known better.

Primus

Come down off the cross you hoisted yourself onto. You are correct regarding to op, she deserves the consequences of her actions. Right is right, you're right, appeals to emotion will not make you more right-er.
Righter or rightest? Or is it righterest?

Its not about being righterester. We are in agreement so where's the beef?

SovereignAxe

So you really feel this incident was worth arresting her for? It was worth giving her an arrest record which is going to follow her for the rest of her life and probably make it difficult to get a job for the rest of her life?

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with that. Cite her and fine her. Jail is for violent people that cause harm to others. This was no more reckless than speeding, and we don't arrest people for that do we?

notalawyer

So you really feel this incident was worth arresting her for? It was worth giving her an arrest record which is going to follow her for the rest of her life and probably make it difficult to get a job for the rest of her life?

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with that. Cite her and fine her. Jail is for violent people that cause harm to others. This was no more reckless than speeding, and we don't arrest people for that do we?

So you really feel this incident was worth arresting her for? Yes.

It was worth giving her an arrest record which is going to follow her for the rest of her life and probably make it difficult to get a job for the rest of her life? Yes, being stupid should hurt.

This was no more reckless than speeding:uhoh:

I'm referring to her firing the gun when there was no imminent threat to anyone, not for her friend carrying the firearm on school property (that is just a stupid law.) With her poor decision making skills, she is a definite potential threat to society.

Since this is Florida, the home of the 10-20-Life law...she's going to be in a little trouble if the SA chooses to go forward with it. So 20 years without possibility of parole, I believe. She probably does not need to worry about finding a job any time soon.

Last edited:

Primus

She won't get jail. Mark this post and come visit it in a year or so.

No one told her to be stupid. In fact someone told her NOT to be dumb and shoot the gun.

Do I think she should even get jail time? No. But arrest does not always equal jail time. I'd wager it on does occasionally and usually to people that don't deserve it.

SovereignAxe

She won't get jail. Mark this post and come visit it in a year or so.

No one told her to be stupid. In fact someone told her NOT to be dumb and shoot the gun.

Do I think she should even get jail time? No. But arrest does not always equal jail time. I'd wager it on does occasionally and usually to people that don't deserve it.

I didn't say anything about jail time, because I know just as well that she won't get any. I asked you about the arrest itself and the lifelong consequences that will come with it.

twoskinsonemanns

If.... If you saw a unicorn.... If I won the lottery.... If I fell down and broke my spleen.... All irrelevant.

Again "no one was hurt". So as I said, everything is fine until a kid gets zinged. Sorry I'd rather not wait until then.

lol turn "if" into "until" and it's a totally different situation!
useless

77zach

Exactly. She did not put anyone in danger. She made a fool out of her self for missing. But the idea that this event was somehow of any importance at all is stupid. Society has made guns out to being akin to unstable sorcery and gun owners support the idea because it stroke's their ego.

Now that you mention it I have noticed this more and more, especially among the fanatical "CC only OC is evil" crowd and of course law enforcement, especially retired law enforcement. "Look at me, I have lots of guns and know how to use them responsibly! I can carry concealed and I got massa's permission slip to showz it!".

Primus

I didn't say anything about jail time, because I know just as well that she won't get any. I asked you about the arrest itself and the lifelong consequences that will come with it.
I agree with the arrest. And what "lifelong" consequences are you talking about? Arrest does not equal conviction.

Where's the "appeal to emotion" police when we need them? :D

transam86

why kill something thats showing no agression

im all for guns everywhere thats my opinion but killing an animal reptile when it shows no threat? whats the reason for that? An over zealous show off killing something that didnt need to be killed!! my opinion STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OC for ME

I agree with the arrest. And what "lifelong" consequences are you talking about? Arrest does not equal conviction.

Considering that some cop shops are notoriously inept at expunging arrest records these "unfounded" arrests linger in computers for years and years. A few threads are around here as to the plight of those who likely continue their work to expunge that which a judge told a cop to do many years ago. But, you being a cop, likely could care less what a mundane must go through to get a cop shop to follow the law, let alone a judges order.

Whoops, I forgot, SovereignAxe did not appeal to emotion, the consequences can be life long. Sooo, a accurate statement relating actual events is not actually a appeal to emotion. Now, if SovereignAxe would have invoked the cost to the nitwit mom's kids, a "what about them!!", then he would have appealed to emotion. But, unlike you, he did not.

Though, her being a mom, with kids, may be a factor in whether or not she is sent up the river.

Firearms Iinstuctor

No doesn't equal conviction but does have life long consequences just a quick search well reveal that she was arrested to many that equal conviction.

Before computers after a year or so it was fairly hard to come up with arrest records. One had to know when and where and do a paper search that takes time and being there.

Now with a few clicks one can find out from across the country.