Thread: Poll Time! (Hampton Roads) Should gun owners be required to report missing guns?

Founder's Club Member

Poll Time! (Hampton Roads) Should gun owners be required to report missing guns?

Virginia Beach city government thinks it's the police's business to know what guns you had previously, if you can no longer find them. They are even willing to punish you if you don't tell them, despite not requiring the same of rape victims or others victimized by criminals. It doesn't matter that reporting a lost or stolen gun does nothing to prevent crime from being committed, but it is a good opportunity to stick it to gun owners for daring to be victims of a crime.

The poll is on the left side of the page.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/10/va-b...gering-dissent
    Last edited by jmelvin; 10-22-2014 at 09:42 AM.

No registration/login required

Nor any cookie sent or checked.

Should gun owners be required to report lost or stolen firearms?
    Yes
    63% (172 votes)

No
    34% (93 votes)

I'm not sure.
    2% (6 votes)

Total votes: 271
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-22-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I lost a Kimber Ultra Carry II....if any of you VB cops find one mail to to me. Not really a sale, simply returning lost then found private property, so a FFL is not required...thanks in advance. Mine looks just like the one on Kimber's website, and no, I don't remember the serial number.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

The commentors seem to be getting confused about the notion of reporting a lost/stolen gun as "making good sense" and failing to do so withing a certain specified time frame being a major crime.

I wonder how they would react to a law requiring them to report a lost/stolen/compromised credit card - because we all are aware of the economic damage that can be done when someone uses that lost/stolen/compromised credit card (which by the way is an illegal act in and of itself).

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

So what's to happen when a (reported) stolen firearm is redeemed (possibly by the thief) at a "No Questions Asked" gun buy-back?
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Banned
    I ain't got time for that .. I lose guns all the time .. I just build a new one. I'm sure they go to good homes.

Is anyone aware of any other lawfully owned item that requires 'reporting' by the owner if it is stolen?

I can think of several where reporting a stolen item might be a good idea... but I can't think of any that would be required.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I ain't got time for that .. I lose guns all the time .. I just build a new one. I'm sure they go to good homes.
    Exactly. I leave loaded firearms lying around everywhere I go... never know when I (or someone else) will need one.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Is anyone aware of any other lawfully owned item that requires 'reporting' by the owner if it is stolen?

I can think of several where reporting a stolen item might be a good idea... but I can't think of any that would be required.
    as it should be.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand