• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Mark Cole bill would ban "Policing for Profit" Seizures

Maverick9

Civil forfeiture has become a sacred cash cow in some areas - a legal license to steal.

The misuse use must stop!

So, you wouldn't go so far as to say that the establishment is basically evil, would you? Here's a situation where you KNOW they realize they are using it as method of theft and do it anyway. Snidely Whiplash would even be appalled.

davidmcbeth

Banned
suddenly it's all becoming clearer. McBeth is actually the guy the PA State Cops are looking for ..????

In PA? No. Not in PA. I never had a lick of problems in PA ... I travel there routinely.

I like where they hid in the small molehills trying to get ya speeding !

Repeater

So, you wouldn't go so far as to say that the establishment is basically evil, would you? Here's a situation where you KNOW they realize they are using it as method of theft and do it anyway. Snidely Whiplash would even be appalled.

Substantiation? That does exist:

Cops In Texas Seize Millions By 'Policing for Profit'

Policing for Profit: The Abuse of Civil Asset Forfeiture

Inequitable Justice: How Federal "Equitable Sharing" Encourages Local Police and Prosecutors to Evade State Civil Forfeiture Law for Financial Gain

The FAIR Act: New bill aims to reign in policing for profit

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Civil forfeiture has become a sacred cash cow in some areas - a legal license to steal.

The misuse use must stop!
No I would not go nearly that far. Those that make up the "establishment" are as varied as they can be.....just like us.

Some municipalities are much more egregious than others - I also do not see it as pervasive.

Last edited:

TFred

This issue is just like any other "bad cop" scenario. The good cops have sacrificed their own reputation by allowing such abuse to go on unchallenged.

Yes, we all know that the majority are good. But those few bad ones stain the reputation of the whole, and especially so when the good ones do nothing to stop it.

They claim that this change will make it harder to do their jobs... well guess what, they should have thought of that when they were looking the other way all this time, and allowing these abuses to take place.

This falls squarely under Blackstone's formulation, "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Of course, these days it seems that some prosecutors have reversed that formula and would rather ten innocents be punished than one guilty person go free.

TFred

TFred

This article, posted elsewhere by forum co-owner John Pierce, illustrates that this problem is not just limited to the state and local level in Virginia.

The stink runs deep. How did we ever let it come to this?

The founding fathers were so outraged over Quartering (British troops temporarily taking up residence in private homes) that they created an entire Amendment to the Constitution to prohibit the act. Imagine what their outrage might have been over something like this?

TFred

Law Lets I.R.S. Seize Accounts on Suspicion, No Crime Required

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
This issue is just like any other "bad cop" scenario. The good cops have sacrificed their own reputation by allowing such abuse to go on unchallenged.

Yes, we all know that the majority are good. But those few bad ones stain the reputation of the whole, and especially so when the good ones do nothing to stop it.

Those cops who know the abuse is going on and do nothing to stop it are just as bad as the ones doing it. :banghead:

Roscoe

scouser

Those cops who know the abuse is going on and do nothing to stop it are just as bad as the ones doing it. :banghead:

Roscoe

^^^ what he said. Any cop who does not speak up and name the bad cops he knows about is automatically a bad cop himself. Thin blue line is a crock of ****

davidmcbeth

Banned
No I would not go nearly that far. Those that make up the "establishment" as a varied as they can be.....just like us.

Some municipalities are much more egregious than others - I also do not see it as pervasive.

Of course, its never pervasive until it happens to oneself, then it is.

Unfortunately, most people simply do not care.

Sad that people think this way .. they have been brainwashed...