Thread: Backdoor gun control: D.C. sets impossible hurdles for carry permits.

Backdoor gun control: D.C. sets impossible hurdles for carry permits.

Permit seekers face costly fees, lack of approved instructors for mandatory course

The Metropolitan Police Department, working off legislation adopted by D.C. lawmakers last month, released the concealed carry applications on its website at about 7 p.m. Wednesday — hours before the stay of U.S. District Court Judge Frederick J. Scullin Jr.’s order was set to expire.

The regulations firm up the details of the application process, including establishing a $75 cost to apply for a permit.
    [ ... ]
    Police officials said a solicitation to firearms instructors was not issued until Monday for the course, which involves 16 hours of classroom safety training and two hours of proficiency training on the gun range.
    [ ... ]
    ... a firearms instructor and one of four gun owners involved in the court case that overturned the D.C. ban on carrying guns in public, said a $435 certification fee might discourage some trainers from applying.
    [ ... ]
    The training class would not be required until Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier decides whether a legal gun owner has demonstrated a “good reason” to carry a firearm. The regulations say the investigative process to qualify for permits could take 90 days or longer for gun owners to demonstrate that they are targets of specific threats.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...led-carry-app/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Just put your reason as the need for protection as you have vital security national security secrets; if they do not allow carry, then the only way to protect yourself is to make the secrets public, hence eliminating the need for extraction from you.

here's the link to the DC Police web page.

all kinds of made up stuff that wasn't even in the law as passed.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/node/929382
    Last edited by swinokur; 10-23-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Backdoor gun control. Sounds like a movie.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

This is a joke. What's my reason for carrying? IT'S A RIGHT GUARANTEED TO ME BY THE 2nd AMENDMENT OF THE US CONSTITUTION, maybe for starters!
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    This is a joke. What's my reason for carrying? IT'S A RIGHT GUARANTEED TO ME BY THE 2nd AMENDMENT OF THE US CONSTITUTION, maybe for starters!
    Some courts would say that that ain't good enough.

Unfortunately True

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Some courts would say that that ain't good enough.
    While "THE TRUTH" is right, unfortunately, so is davidmcbeth. NJ and Maryland laws restrict concealed carry to those who can show a "need." There are a few other States, too. The US Supreme Court has so far declined to hear a case on need v. rights.
    Sometimes, I joke and tell people that it is the Bill of Rights, not the bill of Needs. I shudder to think of the US Supreme Court hearing a case and coming down 5-4 upholding the States who are restrictive (shall v. may)

Quote Originally Posted by fjpro2a View Post
    While "THE TRUTH" is right, unfortunately, so is davidmcbeth. NJ and Maryland laws restrict concealed carry to those who can show a "need." There are a few other States, too. The US Supreme Court has so far declined to hear a case on need v. rights.
    Sometimes, I joke and tell people that it is the Bill of Rights, not the bill of Needs. I shudder to think of the US Supreme Court hearing a case and coming down 5-4 upholding the States who are restrictive (shall v. may)
    This is the real issue. The federal judge, Scullin, used Peruta from California (9th US Circuit) to define what is constitutional. Peruta basically found that in a state where unlicensed carry is not permitted, the licensing scheme must not exclude the law abiding - shall issue.

The DC game plan is clear:

1. Create a may issue law that destroys the right for 99% of law abiding citizens.
    a. Outlaw constitutional carry and open carry.
    b. Design an onerous law that mimics the worst of NY, NJ and MD.
    2. Publish a painful, but in many ways vague, implementation scheme.
    3. Shop for a new US District Court Judge to try and wind back this court's finding that there is a right to bear arms outside of the home.
    4. When the case gets in front of another District Judge, use the 2A two step to claim that this regulation meets intermediate scrutiny.

Much will depend on what Scullin decides to do with Gura's petition for permanent injunction. DC clearly refused to comply with the order when it ignored the Peruta decision's shall issue mandate and instead adopted may issue.
    Last edited by Thundar; 10-25-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Where's the popcorn smilie...
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Backdoor gun control. Sounds like a movie.

It was pretty obvious they'd try this. It's not backdoor, it's right in the frontdoor.

I would love to hear someone from the media ask Lanier why she thinks DC residents are less capable of responsible carry than the nearby citizens of NOVA.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

As long as the King and his minions lives in DC, carry will be heavily scrutinized.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    As long as the King and his minions lives in DC, carry will be heavily scrutinized.
    They are trying to delay any type of reasonable carry as long as possible. All the while waiting for a conservative SCOTUS justice to die or step down. Same reason they do not want to force a challenge on GFSZA.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Emily Miller's piece on Fox 5 DC last night.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2734752...n-carry-permit

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Emily Miller's piece on Fox 5 DC last night.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2734752...n-carry-permit
    Proving a “need” is just one part of the carry permit application. You have to do 16 hours of classroom training, plus two hours at the range.

“Where do I go to do that?” I asked Agurs.

“Unfortunately, I think they are still setting up the classes,” he replied.

There's the rub. The city isn't actually abiding by the court decision. No one can apply for a carry permit because the police haven't certified any trainers for the mandatory classes. That might be partly because D.C. charges trainers $400 to be certified.

In contrast, Virginia accepts any class that is certified by the NRA. And there's no minimum time requirement for training.

So I asked Agurs: "The Second Amendment right to bear arms just doesn't fully apply here?"

"I believe when the Second Amendment was written, that was more or less for when the British were coming."[my emphasis]
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 11-11-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Hopefully Judge Sculin feels as we do.

+1

Banned
    I don't care what any judge says when it comes to my rights .. just hot air.

But what the judge says may affect how much aggression government lets itself get away with committing against those who exercise their rights. Surely that has weight.

Death row inmate may not care also...does not stop the flow of lethal injection into his veins.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Where's the popcorn smilie...
    here you go

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/A...793/793936.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deereatingpopcorn.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	12228  
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.