Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much?

Too much?

I have been OCing for a couple of years and always have been wondering if my choice of handguns is a bit too much. I carry a Kimber Stainless II .45ACP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KSSII.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	12161

To much?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson (quoting Cesare Beccaria)

If your comfortable with it no. :-)

sent using tapatalk
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkman2 View Post
    I have been OCing for a couple of years and always have been wondering if my choice of handguns is a bit too much. I carry a Kimber Stainless II .45ACP

To much?
    Too much what? If it works for you, wear it with pride
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Centurion
    In case the OP needs MORE words:

I don't care what color, style, caliber, or capacity of the tool YOU choose to carry for Your self defense. I only ask that you practice with it to maintain enough proficiency to quickly and accurately place all the rounds needed in the time frame you you have. The important pieces here are "quickly" and "accurately"!

That reminds me. It has been too long since I've been to the range!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Banned

To much?
    A bit too much for who? Yourself or any possible assailant.

Looks like you are all set.

Founder's Club Member
    Looks fine to me. It's a good looking gun from what I see, so even those who may be influenced by looks, should find it pleasant.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    No, not too much if you can carry it comfortably. I understand what you're getting at but understand that full sized handguns are inherently more accurate usually and the longer barrels give better ballistics.

One nice thing about OC is you don't have to hide it so you have more latitude over caliber and size.

45 ACP is IMO one of the 4 best defensive calibers you can have and probably the top choice for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    While having immersed myself in the gun culture, drooling while reading G&A magazine, I find this statement appalling.

We don't OC with any 'pride', it's not about our self-entitlement, it's about the grim task of dealing with a threat in the gravest extreme. I realize Grapeshot meant it with good intent, but I would be remiss not to make a counter-comment.

Because of an understanding of the serious nature of possession of deadly force, most carriers have discovered a way to harness their ego, their anger, and find politeness, tact, methods of de-escalation and ways to calm the internal reptile brain.

Rant
    Which, the above, I might add, is in stark contrast to the trend among the establishment to take steroids, arm up like robo-cop and shoot everything in sight with every bullet in their possession, claiming with great hubris 'they were shooting at me, one of those rounds might have hit a civilian', all the while oblivious to the path of the 600 rounds expended to "accomplish" this feat, and oblivious to the fact that indeed ten of these pew-pews wound up inside an innocent who had already been victimized by the bank and also the BGs. In fact the BGs played a minor role in this tragedy, driving down the road with sacks full of paper.
    /rant
    Last edited by Maverick9; 10-24-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Not at all. Two friends of mine carry 1911s. Neither feels it's "too much".

Like what, like Fire Hose® Work Pants?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    While having immersed myself in the gun culture, drooling while reading G&A magazine, I find this statement appalling.
    Appalling? Hardly...

We don't OC with any 'pride', it's not about our self-entitlement,
    Sure I do, and yes it is!
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Agree 100%. I have multiple guns, but carry the 45 ACP 99% of the time, open or CC.

;>)

That's what I carry sometimes. It depends on how much activity I will doing. I carry something smaller if I'm doing a lot of activity.

We don't OC with any 'pride', it's not about our self-entitlement, it's about the grim task of dealing with a threat in the gravest extreme. I realize Grapeshot meant it with good intent, but I would be remiss not to make a counter-comment.

Because of an understanding of the serious nature of possession of deadly force, most carriers have discovered a way to harness their ego, their anger, and find politeness, tact, methods of de-escalation and ways to calm the internal reptile brain.

Rant
    Which, the above, I might add, is in stark contrast to the trend among the establishment to take steroids, arm up like robo-cop and shoot everything in sight with every bullet in their possession, claiming with great hubris 'they were shooting at me, one of those rounds might have hit a civilian', all the while oblivious to the path of the 600 rounds expended to "accomplish" this feat, and oblivious to the fact that indeed ten of these pew-pews wound up inside an innocent who had already been victimized by the bank and also the BGs. In fact the BGs played a minor role in this tragedy, driving down the road with sacks full of paper.
    /rant
    Lmao
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Rant
    /rant

Name:	Lolwut_zps61ea0c93.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	12173

Quote Originally Posted by FBrinson View Post

Name:	Lolwut_zps61ea0c93.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	12173
    That's awesome. +1
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

The only time I've not OC'ing my full-size Kimber 1911 .45 is usually when I'm carrying a .45 revolver instead.
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-26-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

It's only too much if you aren't willing to carry it or can't shoot it well otherwise it's fine.

Usually find me OC'ing a FS 1911 or a Glock20/41.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It's only too much if you aren't willing to carry it or can't shoot it well otherwise it's fine.

Usually find me OC'ing a FS 1911 or a Glock20/41.
    I am glad see that I am not alone in my choice of calibers. It is my choice for OC and the one thing that I am sure of is that I shoot it very well.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson (quoting Cesare Beccaria)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It's only too much if you aren't willing to carry it or can't shoot it well
    Short and to-the-point. Me likey.

I know people who carry full-size 1911s chambered in .45 ACP (myself included), others who carry full-sized Glocks; I've also met a man who carried a full-size Para Ordnance 1911 (the double-stack model that holds 14+1 rounds of .45 ACP), and one man who think a full-size Glock 17 is "way too heavy to carry around all day" (still can't wrap my head around that one; the guy was built like a wrestler and was taller than me).

@sparkman2: carry what you're comfortable and proficient with.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

What one carries is that individual's choice (based on a multitude of factors). I do on occasion carry a semi-auto, but my preference is a revolver, usually a S&W 4" N-Frame in .45 Colt or .44 Mag (depending on decision factors).

"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize." -Clairee Belcher (Steel Magnolias).

To much?
    Yes. Too much...handwringing!

Rant
    /rant

To much?
    Too much MIM sell it and get a real 1911... Colt!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by conhntr View Post
    Too much MIM sell it and get a real 1911... Colt!
    Some people love Kimbers.........others don't.

I've had two - Kimber couldn't fix them - Wilson said, "We don't work on them." Sold them and never looked back. Kimber's "Custom" guns are their regular production line guns - just roll marked "Custom." They do a fantastic job of advertising and have some sharp looking pistols - have to give them that. Have several friends that will be beating me severely about the head for speaking so disparagingly about their treasured guns.

I own a Les Baer TR special - fantastic 1911 that shoots better than most people who use it. My EDC is a commander size Performance Shop S & W 1911 w/Crimson Trace burled grips - every bit as accurate as the Baer. Everyone local calls it my "purdy gun."

They are both serious guns for serious duty - neither has ever gagged or hiccuped, even when brand new. They are a blast to shoot at the range too.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast