• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Too much?

sparkman2

I have been OCing for a couple of years and always have been wondering if my choice of handguns is a bit too much. I carry a Kimber Stainless II .45ACP

KSSII.jpg

To much?

JoeSparky

Centurion
In case the OP needs MORE words:

I don't care what color, style, caliber, or capacity of the tool YOU choose to carry for Your self defense. I only ask that you practice with it to maintain enough proficiency to quickly and accurately place all the rounds needed in the time frame you you have. The important pieces here are "quickly" and "accurately"!

That reminds me. It has been too long since I've been to the range!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
No, not too much if you can carry it comfortably. I understand what you're getting at but understand that full sized handguns are inherently more accurate usually and the longer barrels give better ballistics.

One nice thing about OC is you don't have to hide it so you have more latitude over caliber and size.

45 ACP is IMO one of the 4 best defensive calibers you can have and probably the top choice for most people.

Maverick9

Too much what? If it works for you, wear it with pride :)

While having immersed myself in the gun culture, drooling while reading G&A magazine, I find this statement appalling.

We don't OC with any 'pride', it's not about our self-entitlement, it's about the grim task of dealing with a threat in the gravest extreme. I realize Grapeshot meant it with good intent, but I would be remiss not to make a counter-comment.

Because of an understanding of the serious nature of possession of deadly force, most carriers have discovered a way to harness their ego, their anger, and find politeness, tact, methods of de-escalation and ways to calm the internal reptile brain.

Rant
Which, the above, I might add, is in stark contrast to the trend among the establishment to take steroids, arm up like robo-cop and shoot everything in sight with every bullet in their possession, claiming with great hubris 'they were shooting at me, one of those rounds might have hit a civilian', all the while oblivious to the path of the 600 rounds expended to "accomplish" this feat, and oblivious to the fact that indeed ten of these pew-pews wound up inside an innocent who had already been victimized by the bank and also the BGs. In fact the BGs played a minor role in this tragedy, driving down the road with sacks full of paper.
/rant

Last edited:

Primus

While having immersed myself in the gun culture, drooling while reading G&A magazine, I find this statement appalling.

We don't OC with any 'pride', it's not about our self-entitlement, it's about the grim task of dealing with a threat in the gravest extreme. I realize Grapeshot meant it with good intent, but I would be remiss not to make a counter-comment.

Because of an understanding of the serious nature of possession of deadly force, most carriers have discovered a way to harness their ego, their anger, and find politeness, tact, methods of de-escalation and ways to calm the internal reptile brain.

Rant
Which, the above, I might add, is in stark contrast to the trend among the establishment to take steroids, arm up like robo-cop and shoot everything in sight with every bullet in their possession, claiming with great hubris 'they were shooting at me, one of those rounds might have hit a civilian', all the while oblivious to the path of the 600 rounds expended to "accomplish" this feat, and oblivious to the fact that indeed ten of these pew-pews wound up inside an innocent who had already been victimized by the bank and also the BGs. In fact the BGs played a minor role in this tragedy, driving down the road with sacks full of paper.
/rant
Lmao

FBrinson

Rant
/rant

Lolwut_zps61ea0c93.jpg

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The only time I've not OC'ing my full-size Kimber 1911 .45 is usually when I'm carrying a .45 revolver instead.

Last edited:

Marco

It's only too much if you aren't willing to carry it or can't shoot it well otherwise it's fine.

Usually find me OC'ing a FS 1911 or a Glock20/41.

sparkman2

It's only too much if you aren't willing to carry it or can't shoot it well otherwise it's fine.

Usually find me OC'ing a FS 1911 or a Glock20/41.

I am glad see that I am not alone in my choice of calibers. It is my choice for OC and the one thing that I am sure of is that I shoot it very well. :D

Rusty Young Man

It's only too much if you aren't willing to carry it or can't shoot it well

Short and to-the-point. Me likey.:)

I know people who carry full-size 1911s chambered in .45 ACP (myself included), others who carry full-sized Glocks; I've also met a man who carried a full-size Para Ordnance 1911 (the double-stack model that holds 14+1 rounds of .45 ACP:shocker:), and one man who think a full-size Glock 17 is "way too heavy to carry around all day" (still can't wrap my head around that one; the guy was built like a wrestler and was taller than me:confused:).

@sparkman2: carry what you're comfortable and proficient with.:)