• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

November Election Results

Alsherry

As informed and freedom-loving as we all may be on here, and how hard we may work to keep this state as free as we can, unfortunately, we do STILL live in a pretty deep blue state, in the grand scheme of thing. So be prepared to see the sad sloping decline of rights in our state. It's sad, but true. I was born and raised in this state, and I have pride in my state, but today, I have nothing but distain and disappointment for 60% of voters in the state.

Last edited:

jsanchez

95% if not more of the voters are never going to read what they vote for (including those that are elected to legislatures). They are going to believe the ads and the mailers. In this case the pro-gun side did a micro little bit above absolutely nothing to contradict what the ads and mailers were telling the public and we lost because the pro-gun side sat back and did nothing of any meaning to stop it.

On top of that, about the only message the pro-gun put out was how this was going to turn peaceful gun owners into criminals and the general voter doesn't give a rat's butt about that because that is the way they lean anyway - they want to make 90% of gun ownership a crime. We did very little to explain how this was going to hurt them, we only talked about how it was going to hurt gun owners.

And absolutely next will be "assault weapon" bans and magazine capacity limits. And I'll bet the pro-gun side does just as little in the future to stop it, and it'll pass 60-40 just like I-594 did. Assault weapon bans and magazine limits will be even harder to stop because unlike I-594 those things DO only affect gun owners and not the majority of voters. We had our chance to stop the gun control momentum and we blew it - big time - because none of the big organizations like the SAF or NRA would put any effort into getting us going to stop it.

+1

Maverick9

Wearing black today in honor of you guys and the loss of freedom to protect yourself in Washington...bit by bit.

(of course it's slimming so that's a win...) :cry:

So what can't you do today that you did yesterday? Buy a firearm from a private party no longer? Harder to get a CC license? Can't OC? (sorry need a Reader's Digest update) :) TIA

Schlepnier

594 has won and we all have lost some Freedom today.

Funny I don't think I lost anything, unconstitutional laws have no weight of law in America and do not have to be followed

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one."
Cesare Beccaria's Essay on Crimes and Punishments-referenced by Thomas Jefferson

sudden valley gunner

Funny I don't think I lost anything, unconstitutional laws have no weight of law in America and do not have to be followed

Cesare Beccaria's Essay on Crimes and Punishments-referenced by Thomas Jefferson

And the state will still use its only real powers to hurt you, robbing, beating, imprisoning and killing.

jsanchez

The exceptions to the law are craftily worded to make ordinary activities involving firearms criminal acts. For example - let's say a college offers a womens' gun safety class in one of their classrooms. In the course of the class, they, of course, have a firearm or two to demonstrate. When that firearm is passed around that classroom for familiarization, everyone who touches it has committed a criminal act if the students did not submit to a background check and document the "transfer" of the firearm - and the instructor will commit a crime when they accept that firearm back if they don't submit to a background check.

I have a range on my own private property. Next door neighbor comes over and we spend an afternoon target shooting. If I handle the neighbor's guns or they handle mine we have both committed criminal acts because we didn't submit background checks and document the "transfers" of the guns.

If I go hunting with a friend and I loan them a firearm in the field - we both commit crimes if we have to walk across a road and they have that firearm in their possession because they didn't submit to a background check and document the "transfer" of the gun.

Another heinous aspect of the new law will be that all of these transfers must be documented and sent to the DOL for recording in the database of sales. Oh, but that isn't registering guns - and not just handguns, but rifles and shotguns now too - "it is just a record of transfers", not firearms registration.

you know when they pass the ban on open carry a few back in 94 counties opted out of it so maybe the counties that you live in won't enforce the gray areas of the law

we don't know how it's going to be enforced so we may have nothing to worry about

Grim_Night

As of 8:38AM November 5th 2014

1,228,364 ballots counted

31.32% voter turnout

377,009 ballots estimated on hand to count

Last updated at 9:47PM November 4th 2014

Seriously folks... Defeatist attitudes much? With only 31.32% of the total possible votes counted, everybody is acting like it's all over. Voters had till 8PM last night to drop off their ballots in a drop box or if they mailed it in, it just had to be postmarked by November 4th. It's going to be quite a while before all the votes are counted.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I know myself, and others have mentioned moving to a different state. That will not help, we need to fight this here and now. Otherwise this will just spread like a disease to the other states.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
As of 8:38AM November 5th 2014

1,228,364 ballots counted

31.32% voter turnout

377,009 ballots estimated on hand to count

Last updated at 9:47PM November 4th 2014

Seriously folks... Defeatist attitudes much? With only 31.32% of the total possible votes counted, everybody is acting like it's all over. Voters had till 8PM last night to drop off their ballots in a drop box or if they mailed it in, it just had to be postmarked by November 4th. It's going to be quite a while before all the votes are counted.

You are not reading it correctly.

The voter turnout value is not a percent of ballots counted value, its an indication as to how many registered voters showed up for this elections (not all, in fact not even 1/3 of registered voters voted). The voter turnout value is a common measurement across the US elections to determine the percentage of people getting involved in elections that a registered to do so.

The number you looking for is the estimated ballots on hand and how many have been counted. They don't provide a number for this, most of the time. Sometimes some tables will provide a precinct reporting percent which is more accurate for ballots counted.

Given the Washington SOS site numbers below is what your looking at.

Total Counted + Ballots on hand to count == Current total of ballots

Current total of ballots is: 1,605,373
Percent already counted: 76.5%
Percent still to be counted: 23.5%

The important part while looking at the numbers is taking into account how far behind in votes you are. In this case, I594 is 235,705 votes ahead. Now you have to look at the remaining ballots to count amount which is 377,009. Given the current break down 306358 votes would have to be cased against I594 to win, that means 81.3% of remaining votes to be counted would have to be against which does not follow the averages currently coming in, in no one county did it reach that percent even. This is why all the news stations have already called the race as it is outside the reach to recover.

Hopefully that cleared up your understanding of the numbers you are seeing. Unfortunately, I 594 has passed.

jbone

95% if not more of the voters are never going to read what they vote for (including those that are elected to legislatures). They are going to believe the ads and the mailers...

So true, on Monday I asked my co-worker who's a gun owner and naturalized citizen how he voted, he told me Yes, he said the TV told him it would stop crime.

Grim_Night

You are not reading it correctly. /snip

Not true. The voter turnout % is constantly changing because there is no way for them to actually know how many votes are actually in till ALL of them are in and counted. With the fact that who knows how many are actually still in the mail system, and ones still left to be picked up from drop boxes, there are still alot of ballots left to be accounted for and counted.

At 9:15pm last night, the voter turnout % was only 31.13% but as of 9:47pm last night, it had climbed to 31.32%. and the next update is at 10:00am today.

Some counties aren't even going to update till the evening of the 10th, with some updating their results as of the 6th or 7th. Hell, Columbia county won't even update their results till the 25th.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Not true. The voter turnout % is constantly changing because there is no way for them to actually know how many votes are actually in till ALL of them are in and counted. With the fact that who knows how many are actually still in the mail system, and ones still left to be picked up from drop boxes, there are still alot of ballots left to be accounted for and counted.

At 9:15pm last night, the voter turnout % was only 31.13% but as of 9:47pm last night, it had climbed to 31.32%. and the next update is at 10:00am today.

Some counties aren't even going to update till the evening of the 10th, with some updating their results as of the 6th or 7th. Hell, Columbia county won't even update their results till the 25th.

True the voter turnout % is constantly changing since it only includes counted ballots (Counted/Total Registered). True some late ballots are trickling in, which is why you see an increase in on hand ballots to count (it was 2xx,xxx last night, its 3xx,xxx today).

Everything I said is absolutely true. The total number of ballots will increase dynamically until all are counted as new ones trickle in and some are counted. However, you can't assume that everyone that's registered voted. You can only go by numbers that are available. Those numbers are a) How many they have counted b) how many they have pending to count, with those two number you can determine the full ballot count at that specific time and determine your percentages and odds based on current ballot spread and projections.

There is no way 594 has a chance of defeat given the current ballots to count and current vote spread.

Last edited:

Grim_Night

True the voter turnout % is constantly changing since it only includes counted ballots (Counted/Total Registered). True some late ballots are trickling in, which is why you see an increase in on hand ballots to count (it was 2xx,xxx lastnight, its 3xx,xxx today).

Everything I said is absolutely true. The total number of ballots will increase dynamically until all are counted as new ones trickle in and some are counted. However, you can't assume that everyone that's registered voted. You can only go by numbers that are available. Those numbers are a) How many they have counted b) how many they have pending to count, with those two number you can determine the full count at that specific time and determine your percentages and odds. There is no way 594 has a chance of defeat given the current on hand and current spread.

I'm not saying that 100% of the registered voters voted. What I am saying is that it's stupid to think that everything is done when the total number of ballots counted is less then 1/3 of the total number of registered voters. With the yes votes for I-594 being only 235,705 in the lead, and there are still 377,000 ballots on hand to be counted, There is still lots of time for things to swing the other way. The old adage "don't count your chickens..." and all that.