Thread: Open carry saves the day in Canada

Moderator / Administrator

Open carry saves the day in Canada

http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/wp-...ers-pistol.jpg

SNIP

Sergeant-at-Arms of the Canadian Parliament Kevin Vickers moments after he put down Michael Zehaf-Bibeau. According to Tam, the gun is a S&W 5946.

Well,,,

I was very proud of his actions!!!!

Period...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

He went to his office and retrieved the pistol from a locked box.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

That's a great picture. Just another day as Sergeant at Arms....
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Banned
    The Sergeant at Arms narrative is so heart warming and "unifying".

But................

Anyone who closely listened to the shootout audio will realize at least 2 and most likely more guns were being fired at the deceased. My guess is from beginning to end 40 plus shots were fired.

Everybody loves a great "story" however.

Listen closely for youselves

Globe and Mail footage captures shooting in Parliament building
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrGqo...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Let's hope he carries his firearm under his jacket, or they've upgraded the ceremonial sceptor with a red dot and a barrel shroud.
    Last edited by Maverick9; 10-24-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Have not heard this. Do you have a cite?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. State View Post
    The Sergeant at Arms narrative is so heart warming and "unifying".

But................

Anyone who closely listened to the shootout audio will realize at least 2 and most likely more guns were being fired at the deceased. My guess is from beginning to end 40 plus shots were fired.

Everybody loves a great "story" however.

Listen closely for youselves

Globe and Mail footage captures shooting in Parliament building
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrGqo...ature=youtu.be
    Hard to tell how many shots were fired - lots of echo. Seemed like around 20 to me.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Have not heard this. Do you have a cite?

Hard to tell how many shots were fired - lots of echo. Seemed like around 20 to me.
    I heard the 'went to office, retrieved out of desk' from a talking head. Not sure it's been in print. I also heard 'dozens' and '40' shots. Also one other besides the SoA shot. One pulled the barrel of the perp's gun to the ground at time=0 and got shot in the leg.

Banned
    I contacted several gov't officials noting it took 30 rds to get this guy and that our mag. limit of 10 rds should be repealed or simply not enforced.

From the look of his dress I would say he was not open carrying. If he did not retrieve the pistol he was concealed carry. Not that there is anything wrong with that, concealed carry has always been seen as be armed if needed. Open carry IMO is be armed so it will not be needed.

Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-24-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    From the look of his dress I would say he was not open carrying. If he did not retrieve the pistol he was concealed carry. Not that there is anything wrong with that, concealed carry has always been seen as be armed if needed. Open carry IMO is be armed so it will not be needed.
    The reality is that he retrieved the gun from a lock box, assumed to be in his office.

Don't know if it is standard practice for the SAA to have a weapon, or if he did primarily because he is a former (29 year veteran) RCMP officer. The Sargent-at-Arms is primarily a ceremonial position.
    Last edited by XD40sc; 10-24-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    I was very proud of his actions!!!!

Period...
    Me too, but too bad only their government gets to defend themselves.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I contacted several gov't officials noting it took 30 rds to get this guy and that our mag. limit of 10 rds should be repealed or simply not enforced.
    False assumption: It did not "take 30 rounds to get this guy." The first several rounds most likely stopped the threat. We have plenty of examples here in the States of LEOs doing mag dumps in the heat of the moment and during the adrenalin rush. Given that there were a number of LEOs in the hall firing, it's not unlikely that some or most of them were firing repeatedly. Writing to "several gov't officials" and saying that it took thirty rounds will be seen as hyperbole and lessen the impact of your statement, IMHO.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

He's a government official. He doesn't have to follow the rules us peons do.

I could care less what stopped the "terrorist".

The "terrorist" would have been stopped after he shot the ceremonial guard if citizens were allowed ccw.

Was thinking about this today. A little bit more of the story from Kevin Vickers at a graduation speech.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...ting-1.3069949

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/...-his-life.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HPmatt; 06-02-2015 at 11:12 PM.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Was thinking about this today. A little bit more of the story from Kevin Vickers at a graduation speech.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...ting-1.3069949

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/...-his-life.html

Audio (1st link) did not work for me.

The Star link doesn't go anywhere relevant.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Links work for me - both on iphone and desktop google chrome browser.

The 2nd link has a transcript of the pertinent part of his recording:

“That day was a blur to me,” he said. “I woke up about 5:30 in the morning and I was crying. It was the loneliest moment of my life.”
    Vickers, who is now the ambassador to Ireland, recounted how he came face-to-face with Zehaf-Bibeau on Oct. 22, after the gunman had shot and killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo at the National War Memorial and rampaged through the halls of Parliament.
    “I found myself on one side of the pillar, and a gunmen on the other side of the pillar,” he said matter-of-factly.
    He said Zehaf-Bibeau’s gun was so close to him, he thought he could just snatch it out of his hand — but Zehaf-Bibeau fired. Vickers, who had served in the RCMP for almost 30 years, reacted instinctively, diving to the floor and firing his own handgun up into the air, killing Zehaf-Bibeau.
    “I bumped up against a moment in history,” he said, quoting CTV journalist Craig Oliver.

In the audio clip, I do not hear Vickers say anything along the lines of the article: '...firing his own handgun up into the air, killing Zehaf....".
    The comments below the first post talk about a security guard actually shooting and taking out the attacker, not Vickers.
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Links work for me - both on iphone and desktop google chrome browser.

The 2nd link has a transcript of the pertinent part of his recording:
    “That day was a blur to me,” he said. “I woke up about 5:30 in the morning and I was crying. It was the loneliest moment of my life.”
    Vickers, who is now the ambassador to Ireland, recounted how he came face-to-face with Zehaf-Bibeau on Oct. 22, after the gunman had shot and killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo at the National War Memorial and rampaged through the halls of Parliament.
    “I found myself on one side of the pillar, and a gunmen on the other side of the pillar,” he said matter-of-factly.
    He said Zehaf-Bibeau’s gun was so close to him, he thought he could just snatch it out of his hand — but Zehaf-Bibeau fired. Vickers, who had served in the RCMP for almost 30 years, reacted instinctively, diving to the floor and firing his own handgun up into the air, killing Zehaf-Bibeau.
    “I bumped up against a moment in history,” he said, quoting CTV journalist Craig Oliver.

In the audio clip, I do not hear Vickers say anything along the lines of the article: '...firing his own handgun up into the air, killing Zehaf....".
    The comments below the first post talk about a security guard actually shooting and taking out the attacker, not Vickers.
    Is Vickers then claiming credit for that which is not supported by evidence/facts?
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-03-2015 at 01:33 PM. Reason: fixed

I have found nothing where he claims that, but also have found nothing of an authoritative source that lays out details of who was involved in taking down the Perp.

Was it just Vickers, or were there others? In the audio clip he says he jumped through the air and landed on the ground beneath the shooter. Nothing said about who/how Perp was taken out. Don't want t/b a conspiracist but just call me 'from Missouri - the Showme state.'

Last edited by HPmatt; 06-03-2015 at 02:21 PM.
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

How about we stop the thread drift and get back to determining if Vickers was carrying (OC or CC) at the time the rodeo started?

Trying to determine if he was instrumental in stopping the shooting, or how much more or less instrumental than others that were or were not there, seems like a waste of time.

To me the bottom line is a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun, and did so a lot faster than a good guy without a gun could have.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Vickers at it again...over in Ireland.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2016/05...blin-ceremony/

In a nod to Skidmark - thread is still off track...

Last edited by HPmatt; 05-26-2016 at 08:52 PM.
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Vickers at it again...over in Ireland.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2016/05...blin-ceremony/

In a nod to Skidmark - thread is still off track...

Will miss Skid's pithy comments - RIP Paul.